Marcus Smart versus Jeff Orr | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marcus Smart versus Jeff Orr

Criminal charges for calling Smart a piece of crap? Wow...

On a somewhat related note, did anyone catch during the Clemson game last night when CJ stumbled in to the first row of seats to the left behind the basket? All the guys on the floor ran over to help him up, which I LOVE to see, and as they did they seemed to be chuckling about something. I couldn't help but think one of them jokingly said to CJ, "Don't pull a Marcus Smart!" or something like that.

Funny you mention that CJ inadvertantly hit a young female photographer as he fell. The camera hit her nose and face pretty hard which also hit CJ pretty hard also. She refused help, even DG went over to her, she was crying but stayed stoic. She took a hard pop to the nose/eye area from that camera.

It's just amazing how people just "know" Orr is the victim and Smart is the thug.
If you read my posts, you will see that I did not use either term

the only way that Orr is being victimized is by people like you.

For people that were at the UNC Asheville game in Pittsburgh I can guarantee you I was heckled by Pitt fans worse than Smart was.

I am would be surprised if TT does not try to save some face and ban this guy for a season.

One of the better arguments I have heard for universities doing away with big time athletics.

We already know that big time football and basketball are largely a fraud. It's athletes pretending they are students and schools giving them phony educations. What was the percent of UNC football players that can't read at 9th grade level?

But add to that gyms filled with morons like Orr insulting the players from the safety of their seat and college presidents have got to wonder, "What are we doing and why are we doing this?"

And the attitude from some on this forum is "The guy did nothing really wrong" or "He's just doing what everyone else does" or "Whats the big deal?"

For people that were at the UNC Asheville game in Pittsburgh I can guarantee you I was heckled by Pitt fans worse than Smart was.

I am would be surprised if TT does not try to save some face and ban this guy for a season.

How about instead of doing it "to save face" that they do it because it is the right thing to do?

How about doing it to send a message that we won't tolerate fan behavior like this at Texas Tech?

How about doing it to send a message that this is not what Texas Tech is about?

One of the better arguments I have heard for universities doing away with big time athletics.

We already know that big time football and basketball are largely a fraud. It's athletes pretending they are students and schools giving them phony educations. What was the percent of UNC football players that can't read at 9th grade level?

But add to that gyms filled with morons like Orr insulting the players from the safety of their seat and college presidents have got to wonder, "What are we doing and why are we doing this?"

And the attitude from some on this forum is "The guy did nothing really wrong" or "He's just doing what everyone else does" or "Whats the big deal?"
I don't think anybody is claiming Orr is completely innocent. But it's a far greater travesty that potentially Smart tried to play the race card and label another man as racist when no evidence exists to back his claim. Being singled out as a racist in front of the entire country when you apparently did not use a racial slur is what some of us have a problem with. And yes, I'm going to believe the 10-30 other people in area of the incident who actually heard what was said, as well as the audio that espn played, over some hot-headed 20 year old kid whose basketball life is suddenly spiraling out of control.

I guarantee you half the people on this thread have said and done worse to fellow FANS in the arenas they've been to, once some libation has entered the picture.

Honestly, what Orr did was sophomoric, crude..but in the context of a basketball game between D1 opponents in the same conference...who cares. It did not rise to the level of requiring banishment from sporting events or being shoved by a guy who lacks the self control...they are talkin about "heat of the moment" . Please is was a BASKETBALL game..the guy isnt fighting in Fallujah

I guarantee you half the people on this thread have said and done worse to fellow FANS in the arenas they've been to, once some libation has entered the picture.

Honestly, what Orr did was sophomoric, crude..but in the context of a basketball game between D1 opponents in the same conference...who cares. It did not rise to the level of requiring banishment from sporting events or being shoved by a guy who lacks the self control...they are talkin about "heat of the moment" . Please is was a BASKETBALL game..the guy isnt fighting in Fallujah

I'm sure I probably have, but I then wouldn't be surprised if they came at me seeking physical contact because of it.

If I call someone I don't know on the street a piece of crap, I expect them to act accordingly. Some [ like Jeff ] think they are in a protective bubble from the players they are yelling at.

Mistakes were made. Fair penalties were handed out. To me the story is now dead.

Personally I think Smart is a good kid. Has made a few mistakes this year. He deserves to be penalized but should consider
a) His character level in his career
b) It was a shove. He did not punch him, and try to continue to attack. After he pushed him, while still angry, I think he still had "an oh crap" realization. This was not Artest or O'Neal at the Palace.

3 games seems to be right.

Based on video evidence (two incidents), Orr acts like a complete douchebag during games. But he may be a decent guy, who gets caught up in sporting events. Everyone of us know at least one of these types. A normal guy in real life. or a good family man that goes ape**** during the game.
a) I think Tech and Orr came to a mutual decision for Orr to take a break for the rest of the year. By Orr saying he is going away for the year, rather than Tech handing the penalty, Orr saves face.

The penalty gives Orr a chance to reflect and hopefully come back with a new "superfan" perspective next year. He needed to be punished, but banned for life was severe as well. This is his chance to smarten up (pun not intended)

He already banned himself for the rest of the year (I suspect a mutual decision was made by him and TTT) It saves face for Orr, and TT is not forced to do anything. And if TT gets called out, it can merely say Orr has made the decision which we support.

I have seen some awful fan behavior. Really disgusting stuff.

So I am very sympathetic to Smart and his reaction.

I'd like to see criminal charges brought against Orr. That would dissuade people that think that buying a ticket allows any kind of behavior.
I agree, I am one of the few ppl (well that will admit it) that likes looking at the Auburn Hill fiasco and see some of those wanna be thug fans get levelled.

I agree, I am one of the few ppl (well that will admit it) that likes looking at the Auburn Hill fiasco and see some of those wanna be thug fans get levelled.

It's amazing what a punch in the nose will do to correct people's behavior.

There was an episode in the Dome in the 1980s, I think, in which Temple football players having enough of the abuse from the stands climbed into the seats and starting swinging their helmets. When those guys came over the railing, I'm sure the SU fans that were doing the taunting were scrambling.

Their was video put out today from a GoPro right under the basket and although it's not the best clarity you can make out your a piece of crap. Didn't appear to be anything racial said based on that.

Like how the hell did higher education get in the mass entertainment business? Same way health care became a benefit. Both strange bedfellows, but we don't notice because its always been that way in our lifetimes.

Watching the video of the incident, you can see Jeff Orr jawing the entire time at Smart (from the time he was down on the ground off court to when he got up). If Orr did call Smart, a "piece of cr*p", he had to have done it over and over again. Seriously, the guy says more than one sentence to Smart (clearly) - I don't know what, but it was definitely more than one sentence.

Based on the video that was shot of the incident, you can hear someone (presumably Orr) call Smart a piece of crap, and based on the other camera angles, you can lip read that Smart got up and said "" and Orr replied by saying "Sorry, you're not my type" and then Smart shoved him. So that's my guess of how the conversation went.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to say Orr should be punished further than he already is considering all of the proof points to him simply calling Smart a piece of crap. I'm actually in disbelief that people here are freaking out about a fan saying that considering I've heard worse at probably every game I've been to. Hell, in high school, my school was facing a school that was known for having a large Jewish population and one of their players had a tattoo, and I remember someone in the crowd yelling "A Jew with a tattoo? I haven't seen that since the Holocaust!" And this was in high school. Fans saying bad stuff has been a part of basketball since as long as I can remember. "Piece of crap" is about as innocent as I've heard lol.

I'm not saying it's right to taunt players, but it's a joke that people are acting like Orr is worse than the normal drunk fan.

a Great sign for a game would be "YOURE A PIECE OF CRAP"

I had considered making a "Go back to Clemson!" sign last night when the rumor was that Orr had said something similar to Smart, but I thought that would be a little too distasteful lol.

It's just amazing how people just "know" Orr is the victim and Smart is the thug.

I don't think anybody "knows" anything. But the school investigated it and posted a video corroborating what Orr claims he said. All of the evidence points to Orr not saying anything racial, and yet people insist on ruining his reputation. I believe that that is wrong, just like I believed it was wrong that people continued to insist that Bernie Fine was a criminal despite the case around those claims falling apart.

Based on the video that was shot of the incident, you can hear someone (presumably Orr) call Smart a piece of crap, and based on the other camera angles, you can lip read that Smart got up and said "" and Orr replied by saying "Sorry, you're not my type" and then Smart shoved him. So that's my guess of how the conversation went.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to say Orr should be punished further than he already is considering all of the proof points to him simply calling Smart a piece of crap. I'm actually in disbelief that people here are freaking out about a fan saying that considering I've heard worse at probably every game I've been to. Hell, in high school, my school was facing a school that was known for having a large Jewish population and one of their players had a tattoo, and I remember someone in the crowd yelling "A Jew with a tattoo? I haven't seen that since the Holocaust!" And this was in high school. Fans saying bad stuff has been a part of basketball since as long as I can remember. "Piece of crap" is about as innocent as I've heard lol.

I'm not saying it's right to taunt players, but it's a joke that people are acting like Orr is worse than the normal drunk fan.

I never said that Orr was worse. I wasn't there and don't know what was said. Personally, I think they were both responsible for their actions which let to the situation. Nothing more. Nothing less. However, there is video out there that is shot (from the elevated, half-court perspective) of Smart's block and you can clearly see Orr yelling stuff that is not just one sentence.

If I was Big XII commissioner, I would arrange a meeting between Orr and Smart where they could both shake hands, apologize to one another, say how embarrassed they both are by their own behavior, and then be done with it. No suspensions, no banishings.

Last edited:
If I was Big XII commissioner, I would arrange a meeting between Orr and Smart where they could both shake hands, apologize to one another, say how embarrassed they both are by their own behavior, and then be done with it.

NM that failed

How about this - let's all try to be better fans in 2014. That entails being appreciative of great play by opponents and respectful of all players and coaches. Root like hell yes, but ad hominem BS is just low class. These are just kids playing their hearts out.

It also is a bit annoying that certain talking heads took the pretend racial element and ran with it. Jalen Rose sounded like a complete tool on Sunday NBA Countdown.

Yes, you are right. No evidence other than what Smart claimed Orr said.
The video I saw( and I did not study it), it looked like the last word out of Orr's mouth was Africa. Did not look like crap. I could well be wrong.

I have seen some awful fan behavior. Really disgusting stuff.

So I am very sympathetic to Smart and his reaction.

I'd like to see criminal charges brought against Orr. That would dissuade people that think that buying a ticket allows any kind of behavior.

lol, criminal charges for what exactly? calling someone a name? lmao.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom