Marcus Smart versus Jeff Orr | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marcus Smart versus Jeff Orr

Banned for life. Criminal charges.

Hes a jackass, we get it. Apparently the only games you've ever attended outside of Syracuse are middle school games. "Piece of crap" is pretty tame and while he's a jerk (no denying that), his actions do not warrant a lifetime ban or criminal charges.

That's clearly not what was said. If it was racial, as Smart told his teammates and coaches immediately after it happened, in England you can actually be charged for a crime for that. It's called "racial abuse", like a hate crime.

Im skipping reading the thread before I post. I devoted my time on here so far today to two threads that were locked, and the next deleted(the only designation between the 2 being who claimed authorship). This is my first thread since. In latter of the aforementioned, I made a joke that was on it's way to being a hit. "If only Jeff Orr could have locked the thread before Marcus Smart responded". Granted it was more in context in that thread, but I suppose more on topic here.

That's clearly not what was said. If it was racial, as Smart told his teammates and coaches immediately after it happened, in England you can actually be charged for a crime for that. It's called "racial abuse", like a hate crime.

Look up some of the posts above yours. There are other recordings and video that more clearly indicate he called him a "piece of crap". Oh, and of course the multitudes of other people that were around him who heard no such thing.

Good thing nobody but Smart, in a packed out arena with about 100 people within ear shot, heard him say anything racial.

Otherwise, Jeff Orr would probably be extradited and forced to deal with the English legal system.

Last edited:
lol, criminal charges for what exactly? calling someone a name? lmao.

Yup. Verbal Assault

And if the verbal assault contains any racial component, the seriousness accelerates greatly.

You can assault someone without touching then.

And then there's disorderly behavior.

Last edited:
Eh, who cares.

Maybe Smart thought he heard something that wasn't said.

Maybe Orr did say it, seems unlikely, but whatever. Smart still needs to NOT push people in the stands. Just like after a hard foul you don't get up and punch someone - even if you want to. You just don't.

The video I saw( and I did not study it), it looked like the last word out of Orr's mouth was Africa. Did not look like crap. I could well be wrong.

I watch the video a few times. It may be the word Africa. I just can't believe we do not have someone coming forward. Check out the sportsmanship exhibited by the Texas Tech fans:

Orr.png

That's class! I've never seen anything like this in the Dome or anywhere. Look at these 50 year-olds getting an 18 year old kid to lose his control. And they were proud of themselves afterwards.

Eh, who cares.

Maybe Orr did say it, seems unlikely, but whatever. Smart still needs to NOT push people in the stands. Just like after a hard foul you don't get up and punch someone - even if you want to. You just don't.

Yes, I agree that Smart has developed a short fuse, because his Final Four team is falling apart and he realizes that it hasn't worked out for him to come back this year and not improve his shooting, or have his team play to its potential (admittedly, in part due to injury).

Eh, who cares.

Orr provoked him. He caused the problem. He's a cretin.

Good thing nobody but Smart, in a packed out area with about 100 people within ear shot, heard him say anything racial.

Otherwise, Jeff Orr would probably be extradited and forced to deal with the English legal system.
In NY, it could constitue Harrassment, if he said, as I think, piece of crap and then, go back to Africa.

2) N.Y. Penal Law § 240.26 - Harassment in the second degree

A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another follows a person in or about a public place or places; or (3) He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no legitimate purpose.

Yup. Verbal Assault

And if the verbal assault contains any racial component, the seriousness accelerates greatly.

It would be more likely that charges could be brought agaianst Smart for assault.

It would be more likely that charges could be brought agaianst Smart for assault.

You are probably right.

Actually that would be both assault and battery, because he touched him

I'd like to see it go before a jury. The kid was provoked by this guy. No jury would convict him.

I'll guarantee Orr would swallow his tongue before he called the kid a P.O.S. in a deserted parking lot. He only did so because he figure he can't be touched in the stands.

Cowardly disgusting behavior by an utter fool.

It also is a bit annoying that certain talking heads took the pretend racial element and ran with it. Jalen Rose sounded like a complete tool on Sunday NBA Countdown.

Right? I usually love listening to Simmons and Rose, but that was just awful. His "prediction" for the Sunday NBA matchup was that if he were in Smart's shoes, he would have done a lot more than just a shove. I can't believe he didn't receive more backlash for just being a tool on national TV like that.

Mistakes were made. Fair penalties were handed out. To me the story is now dead.

The penalty gives Orr a chance to reflect and hopefully come back with a new "superfan" perspective next year. He needed to be punished, but banned for life was severe as well. This is his chance to smarten up (pun not intended)
It probably didn't help that in the public eye, Orr looked like Biff Tannen from Back to the Future.

Yup. Verbal Assault

Verbal assault in Texas, like most states, requires a threat to be considered under the law.calling someone a piece of crap doesn't come close to a threat. Jeez Louise.

Disorderly conduct requires a threat or vulgarity. The word crap is neither.

In NY, it could constitue Harrassment, if he said, as I think, piece of crap and then, go back to Africa.

2) N.Y. Penal Law § 240.26 - Harassment in the second degree

A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another follows a person in or about a public place or places; or (3) He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no legitimate purpose.

Not the same in Texas.

I think he said "go back to Africa". Right before smart shoves him read his lips, it definitely looks like that. He calls him a piece of crap, smart gets in face, Orr says go back to Africa, shove.

It looked to me like he was apologizing when Smart was getting in his face. "Sorry about that" or something.

On one hand I think it's strange that a Division I athlete would have such an instant, angry reaction to "you're a piece of crap". Smart must have heard worse every road game for the last season and a half. On the other hand, there hasn't been any evidence to suggest it was anything racist or than Smart's word. Who knows. :noidea:

If it turned out Orr DID say something racist, I hate to be the one to break it to him that his own team isn't a Rupp team from the 60s...

Verbal assault in Texas, like most states, requires a threat to be considered under the law.calling someone a piece of crap doesn't come close to a threat. Jeez Louise.

Disorderly conduct requires a threat or vulgarity. The word crap is neither.

Are you sure he said "Crap" or is that a alternative term they are using?

But lets try a test. Next time you are around a cop, call him a piece of crap or shxt and let us know what happens.

In the heat of the moment fans will say anything. You say something to a player you become part of the play as you get into their head, and orr got pushed for it. imo, equal suspension for both, and it should be 1 game not 3.

Its not what you say or even that you said something. I don't care if it was racist, piece of crap or just a simpsons haha.
Part of sports is hating the opponents, rattling them on your home court and getting into their head. Yeah it sucks what happened to smart but walk back onto the court and play out the clock.

If you think orr should be banned then why is Kevin Garnett still playing basketball? Hes a player in every play, but Orr gets into just one play and should be banned? Orr is a die hard TTU fan with seats like that, hes proven that.

What if there was 3 minutes left tie game and he said that to smart, he could have won the game for them. Stupid on Orr's part to say it when the game was already won.

Last edited:
I hate the reaction from woman (Orr's wife?) the most. Mouth agape pointing at Smart. F her. Orr looks like a world class douchebag and got what he deserved. That said, Smart had to get a suspended for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom