Marcus Smart versus Jeff Orr | Syracusefan.com

Marcus Smart versus Jeff Orr

Dave85

Living Legend
I saw all the videos and the press conference. I thought Smart did the right thing during the press conference. That said, I think the Orr who instigated the incident should be banned from the arena! They showed a video of Orr giving the F you gesture in another game. When you are two seats back and calling a visiting teams player a "piece of crap" is inexcusable in my opinion. The people sitting close to the court must be held to some level of responsible behavior. The guy needs to be banned!

If Orr was in Florida he could have shot Smart and claimed he was standing his ground. Are people in Texas allowed to bring guns into sports arenas?

I love our Orange basketball players and I would just loathe something like this happening to one of our players. It really irks me to no end to think fans like Orr get away with stunts like this. And the crazy thing on top is Orr is the victim and Smart has to apologize. Give me a break!

Smart should have certainly walked away and never make contact so for that he should be suspended. However this Orr guy seems to be a POS. He calls Smart a piece of crap for hustling back and making an attempt to block a shot? At least he said he would not attend another game this season. TT should ban this guy for at least a year for the bad publicity that he has now given to the school.

Smart should have certainly walked away and never make contact so for that he should be suspended. However this Orr guy seems to be a POS. He calls Smart a piece of crap for hustling back and making an attempt to bloc ka shot? At least he said he would not attend another game this season. TT should ban this guy for at least a year for the bad publicity that he has now given to the school.

I think Orr should be forever banned. Every Syracuse basketball game I've ever been to in the Dome people applaud when the opposing player gets up from and injury. There has to be some level of sportsmanship and decency. If it were not for the video of Orr giving the F you gesture in another game I would agree with you on TT giving a one year ban. But with the video and this incident I think TT should ban the guy for life.

I have seen some awful fan behavior. Really disgusting stuff.

So I am very sympathetic to Smart and his reaction.

I'd like to see criminal charges brought against Orr. That would dissuade people that think that buying a ticket allows any kind of behavior.

Criminal charges? For what?

Unfortunately, there are no laws against being an %^$%#*!. Otherwise, most of the people in Texas would be locked up!

Criminal charges for calling Smart a piece of crap? Wow...

On a somewhat related note, did anyone catch during the Clemson game last night when CJ stumbled in to the first row of seats to the left behind the basket? All the guys on the floor ran over to help him up, which I LOVE to see, and as they did they seemed to be chuckling about something. I couldn't help but think one of them jokingly said to CJ, "Don't pull a Marcus Smart!" or something like that.

You can judge a lot about a man by what he finds humorous. Please tell us what you find so funny.
Banned for life. Criminal charges.

Hes a jackass, we get it. Apparently the only games you've ever attended outside of Syracuse are middle school games. "Piece of crap" is pretty tame and while he's a jerk (no denying that), his actions do not warrant a lifetime ban or criminal charges.

I can't wait for M-F drive-time radio guy to be the 8,973rd person to chime in on this...
Orr is a clown and Smart overreacted. What else is there to say? Don't understand all the bickering about who should be blamed more.

I will say that despite the overexposure, I actually think the media has been pretty fair on this.
Unlike the Pacers-Pistons brawl where everyone to a man on the espn postgame was blaming the fans 100% & giving Artest a pass (which in retrospect is pretty funny when everyone is now saying - correctly - that Smart's actions pale in comparison).

Hes a jackass, we get it. Apparently the only games you've ever attended outside of Syracuse are middle school games. "Piece of crap" is pretty tame and while he's a jerk (no denying that), his actions do not warrant a lifetime ban or criminal charges.

Calling the guy a jackass is even 1 step too far imo.

I could name 100 things ive heard worse at the dome. The following are indesputable facts:

"(chevy) troutman, you are a faggot" - while a syracuse player was at the line and the dome was quiet.
"Villanueva, you look like a fetus" - during pregame warmups

those 2 things are infinitely worse than calling a guy a "piece of crap" at the end of an awesome basketball game when the fan was full of adrenaline. I would love to hear what the syracuse fans (including) myself called rasheed souliemon when he the 3 at the buzzer.

I personally have given the "" sign to ricky shields <--- who was an awesome awesome person to talk crap to. he talked back and was hilarious.

This thread is awful.

the "" motion wasnt even the finger... 90% of the posters have done worse for less in their cars in 2014.

Hes a %$^&*^, we get it. Apparently the only games you've ever attended outside of Syracuse are middle school games. "Piece of crap" is pretty tame and while he's a jerk (no denying that), his actions do not warrant a lifetime ban or criminal charges.

Criminal charges are unlikely because what law would it be? And second, do you honestly think he said "piece of crap". That was pure spin to save his life. I be he said the N word and the people around him are just acting innocent about it. We are talking Texas here. No one is going to rat out someone for saying the N word in Texas. He was probably surrounded by friends and they thought it was all hilarious use of language. The funny thing about a skunk is a skunk can't smell his own stink. If anyone came forth and collaborated the use of the N word maybe Orr could be charged with disrupting the peace for a felony hate crime. But no one is going to collaborate Smart's story. Especially in Texas and especially someone from Oklahoma.

I think Smart reacted and it wasn't Smart. He paid the price of 3 games which I find fair and took responsibility without casting any blame on Orr. Sheet he apologized to an a$$ hat that called him a piece of crap that couldn't have been easy. My grip with Smart was that he supposedly threw out the race card while at the arena when it seems Orr is just a classless fan and not also a bigot.

Orr has shown a pattern of discussing fan behavior, which doesn't excuse Smart for the shove but neither does it excuse Orr.

Whatever I'm over it.

Watching the video of the incident, you can see Jeff Orr jawing the entire time at Smart (from the time he was down on the ground off court to when he got up). If Orr did call Smart, a "piece of cr*p", he had to have done it over and over again. Seriously, the guy says more than one sentence to Smart (clearly) - I don't know what, but it was definitely more than one sentence.

Go you honestly believe that he only said he was a piece of crap? I think he said that followed by something else. He is not lying, just giving a half truth.

Criminal charges are unlikely because what law would it be? And second, do you honestly think he said "piece of crap". That was pure spin to save his life. I be he said the N word and the people around him are just acting innocent about it. We are talking Texas here. No one is going to rat out someone for saying the N word in Texas. He was probably surrounded by friends and they thought it was all hilarious use of language. The funny thing about a skunk is a skunk can't smell his own stink. If anyone came forth and collaborated the use of the N word maybe Orr could be charged with disrupting the peace for a felony hate crime. But no one is going to collaborate Smart's story. Especially in Texas and especially someone from Oklahoma.

hmm... thats an intelligent post.

This thread is awful.

It's funny how it becomes "awful". Say Orr actually did use the N word. Then what is it? I'm sorry but as I said, I love our Orange basketball players. I would really hate to hear a fan during an away game say something to one of our players that made them so made that it resulted in an altercation.

Hey, I get it. Nobody likes to talk about racism. The moderators probably already killed the thread as I'm posting this. Maybe I will get banned from bringing up the topic.

Dave85 said:
Corroborate. Not collaborate. Mistaken a lot. Sorry, pet peeve.

While everything is bigger there, this is not a Texas or Texas Tech problem. It's a lot more pervasive.

Unfortunately, there are no laws against being an %^$%#*!. Otherwise, most of the people in Texas would be locked up!
Alan Colmes, is that you??

If our military men and women, as well as the families of deceased soldiers can ignore the Westboro Church lunies at funerals, athletes should be able to realize what they may hear at games won't always be pleasant, and find enough in them to contain themselves from entering the stands to further provoke a bad situation. Marcus Smart has a lot of growing up to do. It's not like he's the first player to ever have something derogatory yelled at him during a sporting event.

let me get this straight: fans of a team famous for "the Hey song" want a guy banned for using the word "crap"

That's not quite the same because I think Orr use the N word as Smart claimed and is just not admitting it.

When I was in college, when a guy missed a free throw the crowd would yell, "Sh.., F you, as...le". It was really funny and getting really popular and loud. Until it went too far and at one point Jim Boeheim got on the arena microphone and said if you don't stop our team is going to get a technical foul. And another tasteless Dome tradition went down in flames...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom