Class of 2018 - Marcus Zegarowski to Creighton / Max Zegarowski to D2 Lynn | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Marcus Zegarowski to Creighton / Max Zegarowski to D2 Lynn

Francis03

All American
Twin brothers of MCW. Marcus is about 6'1 and is considered the best one overall between the two. While Max is a few inches taller than Marcus and is considered the better shooter. Maybe their big bro that's now counting millions will take care of their tuition for us in a few years;).

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high...d4-emass-boys-hamilton-wenham-64-cathedral-35
Interviews with both in the link above.

This was my first thought as well. I really don't see how that couldn't be a legitimate solution to our "scholarship reduction problem"...

I mean, Syracuse did recruit MCW early, almost before anyone else even noticed him. I think we did right by him...him & his family should have a very positive opinion of SU. I really don't see why this couldn't be a legitimate option - assuming the kids are good enough to play at SU - for the family to pay their way. And, if we do find a scholarship open (say an unexpected early entry), then of course one/both of them would get it. I just hope the staff is looking into unique opportunities like this, no matter how "outlandish" they may seem at first.

This was my first thought as well. I really don't see how that couldn't be a legitimate solution to our "scholarship reduction problem"...

I mean, Syracuse did recruit MCW early, almost before anyone else even noticed him. I think we did right by him...him & his family should have a very positive opinion of SU. I really don't see why this couldn't be a legitimate option - assuming the kids are good enough to play at SU - for the family to pay their way. And, if we do find a scholarship open (say an unexpected early entry), then of course one/both of them would get it. I just hope the staff is looking into unique opportunities like this, no matter how "outlandish" they may seem at first.
It's the Lee Melchionni method. I'm on board.

Good post and I fully agree. The relationship between MCW and the coaches are still good. MCW was around when his brothers attended the SU Elite camp back in August. So obviously the familiarity is already there. Marcus is considered to be a high-major prospect, while Max is hovering around the low major line. I guess the ideal thing would be for Marcus to be really good enough to earn an offer here and we'll just add Max as the walk-on.

Michael Carter-Willi ‏@MCW1
HW are the state champs CONGRATS to my little brothers and the rest of the team! #Generals #undefeated #Perfection shout out to the haters
1f602.png

As many knowledgeable basketball folks such as Coach K, Jay Billis and numerous others voiced; the current penalties from the NCAA are way too harsh!
Although, even with an appeal they may decide to dig in their heels on the #of scholarships we will lose. If this is the case the coaching staff need's to look for any legal ways to backstopping a possible injury related depth issue.

This thread could turn into a juggernaut, as time goes on!

people are so happy to spend 110k per year of other peoples money here.
Well, normally I wouldn't be, but in this case these guys DO have an older brother who is currently in the middle of a three year, $6.9 million contract and as we know hasn't been spending that money willy nilly thanks to his mom taking care of his finances. So it's at least realistic in this case.

Well, normally I wouldn't be, but in this case these guys DO have an older brother who is currently in the middle of a three year, $6.9 million contract and as we know hasn't been spending that money willy nilly thanks to his mom taking care of his finances. So it's at least realistic in this case.

1 way to end up on 'Broke 2' is to spend $110k per year when you don't have to.

Since they have Polish blood, K will be all over them. He may even teach their mom how to make bobka!

1 way to end up on 'Broke 2' is to spend $110k per year when you don't have to.
Choosing to spend 1-2 years tuition for your younger brother to attend your dream school (if it is their dream school as well) would not be the worst way to spend dollars when you are earning generational wealth. They could also get schollies as upperclassmen. I don't think that is going to cause MCW to "go broke." Melo contributed million plus on a practice center for the school he loves. If they want to go to the 'Cuse, and he wants their team to be competitive as possible, this is a great idea.

Choosing to spend 1-2 years tuition for your younger brother to attend your dream school (if it is their dream school as well) would not be the worst way to spend dollars when you are earning generational wealth. They could also get schollies as upperclassmen. I don't think that is going to cause MCW to "go broke." Melo contributed million plus on a practice center for the school he loves. If they want to go to the 'Cuse, and he wants their team to be competitive as possible, this is a great idea.

I feel like I'm in la la land. This is only a great idea to you because it is Cuse. There is NO evidence whatsoever that this is even a possibility. This was some random thought from another poster to help Cuse out. As I said, it is much easier to spend someone elses $110k per year than it is your own. No matter how much that other person makes.

And what if the twins dream school is Georgetown? You cool with MCW ponying up for that?

I feel like I'm in la la land. This is only a great idea to you because it is Cuse. There is NO evidence whatsoever that this is even a possibility. This was some random thought from another poster to help Cuse out. As I said, it is much easier to spend someone elses $110k per year than it is your own. No matter how much that other person makes.

And what if the twins dream school is Georgetown? You cool with MCW ponying up for that?
Yes I would be, 100%. By the way, I'd guess 75% of the students at Syracuse are getting their tuition largely paid for by family because it is their number 1 choice, and the family feels they would benefit in the long run from it. There are plenty cheaper options (and I bet some free ones) available to many students attending SU.

If some other school had sanctions against it hamstringing their numbers (oh and by the way they were known to develop lottery picks at the position his brother wanted to play), if MCW paid for them to go there and start with tons of minutes likely, I would think he is a good brother, and it was a shrewd family move. If they got at schollie to a school that they loved, and chose to go there, I'd think that was smart too. It is a hypothetical scenario, and not a ridiculous self centered one as you assert. If we thought MCW was a one contract guy in the nba, I'd feel differently. He is not.

I love MCW and don't doubt that MCW loves 'Cuse. But there is zero chance he would do this.

(1) I agree it is a total pipe-dream that MCW would pay their tuition.

But still I'm curious...

(2) How legal [in the eyes of the NCAA] would that be? Obviously it is totally normal for a successful older brother to pay the tuition of his younger brothers, but at the same time MCW is ultimately a booster helping out his alma mater, right? I know players (andre drummond, ___?) have paid their own way before, but this situation feels a little different.

Actually he doesn't make all the money you think. He puts a large portion of his NBA salary into a trust fund and lives off of his endorsements according to this article. He may not have access to $220,000 a year to throw at Syracuse.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/phil...carter-williams-touch-money/story?id=21080634

Third team all-state for Marcus, according to ESPN Boston. I also mention a freshman who made third team, Chris Doherty, a 6-6 forward who put up stupid numbers this year for Marlborough and may be someone Syracuse wants to keep tabs on moving forward: http://.com/keeping-taps-on-potential-hoops-targets-zegarowski-and-doherty/

Forgot to mention this last week. Marcus had a big game scoring 34 points against Taurean Thompson's, Brewster squad. Hoping to get another look at Marcus Z, in the spring/summer. Looked overmatched against high level comp when I saw him last year, but maybe the reclassification and experience in the NEPSAC is doing him well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom