Marek..... | Syracusefan.com

Marek.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
In some respects i see Marek as our linchpin player next season if we are to be any good.

I love his hustle and his intangibles. Who doesn't ??

Most previews i see have him starting at center. Last season in "tangibles" he only averaged 4 & 4 in 21 MPG. If he gets 30 MPG as a starter that would translate to 6 & 6. Not enough. If he is to be our starting center, and if we are to be any good, he will have to average at least 10 and 8 IMHO.

Ideally, I would love for Edwards or JBA (edited per below) to step up and be the starter. Let marek come off the bench in either the 5 or 4 role wherever Jimmy thinks his intangibles needs to be plugged in.

So , in essence, i am good with Marek starting if he can do some stat stuffing or i am good with him off the bench if somebody else can earn the start. Can't live with Marek starting and only producing at last season's stat level pro rata.

Last edited:
In some respects i see Marek as our linchpin player next season if we are to be any good.

Most previews i see have him starting at center. Last season in "tangibles" he only averaged 4 & 4 in 21 MPG. If he gets 30 MPG as a starter that would translate to 6 & 6. Not enough. If he is to be our starting center, and if we are to be any good, he will have to average at least 10 and 8 IMHO.

Ideally, I would love for Edwards or Akok to step up and be the starter. Let marek come off the bench in either the 5 or 4 role wherever Jimmy thinks his intangibles needs to be plugged in.

So , in essence, i am good with Marek starting if he can do some stat stuffing or i am good with him off the bench if somebody else can earn the start. Can't live with Marek starting and only producing at last season's stat level pro rata.
I believe you mean jon bol... unless of course you want to fight me right now.

Ideally, I would love for Edwards or Akok to step up and be the starter. Let marek come off the bench in either the 5 or 4 role wherever Jimmy thinks his intangibles needs to be plugged in.

A couple of quick thoughts.

I don't think it is likely that Marek starts, especially not if Q. Guerrier comes in and is ready to start. And that's not a knock on Marek -- he'll play 25+ MPG next year whether he starts or comes off the bench, rotating between a couple of positions.

Ideally, Sidibe bounces back and can anchor the pivot. Marek could see a lot of minutes at the 5 [and perhaps a LOT of minutes there, if Sidibe doesn't bounce back].

But best case scenario for the center position is not Marek starting there -- it's Sidibe being able to return to form, one of either Edwards / Ajak being able to produce something, and for Marek to also see time there.

I don't think it is likely that Marek starts, especially not if Q. Guerrier comes in and is ready to start. And that's not a knock on Marek -- he'll play 25+ MPG next year whether he starts or comes off the bench, rotating between a couple of positions.

Ideally, Sidibe bounces back and can anchor the pivot. Marek could see a lot of minutes at the 5 [and perhaps a LOT of minutes there, if Sidibe doesn't bounce back].

But best case scenario for the center position is not Marek starting there -- it's Sidibe being able to return to form, one of either Edwards / Ajak being able to produce something, and for Marek to also see time there.
I see it very differently.

Marek has produced far more at the 5 than Sidibe has. It isn't even close really.

It's reasonable to believe that Marek will improve some. We don't know if Sidibe is actually healthy, let alone how much better he'll get from the minimal production he's shown himself capable of.

The only edge I see Sidibe having is that he came in with a C by his name.

As for the OP, I think Marek's counting stats are deceiving. I believe he could score more if he looked for it - we've seen him be aggressive getting his own shot with efficient results. I wouldn't be surprised if this season he looks for it.

We (I don't believe) would have never gotten Marek if Jordan Tucker picked Cuse over Duke. Funny how these things sometimes work out.

Marek has produced far more at the 5 than Sidibe has. It isn't even close really.

It's reasonable to believe that Marek will improve some. We don't know if Sidibe is actually healthy, let alone how much better he'll get from the minimal production he's shown himself capable of.

As for the OP, I think Marek's counting stats are deceiving. I believe he could score more if he looked for it - we've seen him be aggressive getting his own shot with efficient results. I wouldn't be surprised if this season he looks for it.
Well, Sidibe actually averaged more rebounds per 40 minutes than Brissett did, and considerably more than Dole, so, if he’s healthy, there is that.

That's fine -- I can understand the skepticism based upon the viewpoint that past performance is often an indicator of future performance.

If Sidibe is shot physically [a la Coleman], then I see your point.

But if he bounces back, then he has a lot more upside in the post than Marek does -- as a rebounder AND defender. I tend to believe that last year was a lost cause -- he was rehabbing right up until the preseason games and wasn't able to spend any time over the offseason working on his game. Then he got off to a poor start, which led JB to Booheim him, he got limited minutes, and lost confidence.

I don't know whether Sidibe can get healthy. But if he does, then his baseline isn't what we saw last year.

And if he can't, then it might be.

That's fine -- I can understand the skepticism based upon the viewpoint that past performance is often an indicator of future performance.

If Sidibe is shot physically [a la Coleman], then I see your point.

But if he bounces back, then he has a lot more upside in the post than Marek does -- as a rebounder AND defender. I tend to believe that last year was a lost cause -- he was rehabbing right up until the preseason games and wasn't able to spend any time over the offseason working on his game. Then he got off to a poor start, which led JB to Booheim him, he got limited minutes, and lost confidence.

I don't know whether Sidibe can get healthy. But if he does, then his baseline isn't what we saw last year.

And if he can't, then it might be.
Small sample size, but I keep thinking back to that game in Pitt his freshman year. He dominated that game. I still love his upside.

Regardless of his stats, I think Marek is one of those guys where the team usually plays better when he’s on the floor.

You’re not always going to get any statistical credit for moving the ball and making the right passes...especially when most of your teammates can’t shoot or finish. But the offense usually flows better and gets better shots when Marek is in the game and involved in the offense.

I’d like to see him:

1) More consistently involved. And some of this may be on him to be assertive and make sure that happens.
2) Continue to improve as an outside shooter. He’s become a guy who can make open 3’s. CJ Fair became that, but he didn’t take the next step of becoming a legit 3 point sniper. I’m hoping Marek can take that step.
3) Cut out the bad fouls. It’s been a big problem for him. He’s gotta learn how to keep his scrappiness and hustle while eliminating the bad fouls 75 feet away from the basket.
4) Hopefully add some of that upperclassman strength. He’s never going to be bulky and that’s fine. Skinny guys like Warrick and Brown were always skinny here but they did get and play stronger and were legit 8 rebound per game type guys. Hoping Marek can get close to that.

Regardless of his stats, I think Marek is one of those guys where the team usually plays better when he’s on the floor.

You’re not always going to get any statistical credit for moving the ball and making the right passes...especially when most of your teammates can’t shoot or finish. But the offense usually flows better and gets better shots when Marek is in the game and involved in the offense.

I’d like to see him:

1) More consistently involved. And some of this may be on him to be assertive and make sure that happens.
2) Continue to improve as an outside shooter. He’s become a guy who can make open 3’s. CJ Fair became that, but he didn’t take the next step of becoming a legit 3 point sniper. I’m hoping Marek can take that step.
3) Cut out the bad fouls. It’s been a big problem for him. He’s gotta learn how to keep his scrappiness and hustle while eliminating the bad fouls 75 feet away from the basket.
4) Hopefully add some of that upperclassman strength. He’s never going to be bulky and that’s fine. Skinny guys like Warrick and Brown were always skinny here but they did get and play stronger and were legit 8 rebound per game type guys. Hoping Marek can get close to that.
Good post, agree with most of your points.

The only problem i see is that Marek has such a slow release and low release point on his three point shot that he has to be REALLY wide open to get his shot off. So, IMHO, he will never be much of a three point threat. Hopefully, he can just make the occasional trey to keep em honest.

One area where he does really need to improve that you did not mention is his FT%. he's gotta get to around 70% plus, especially if he starts.

Good post, agree with most of your points.

The only problem i see is that Marek has such a slow release and low release point on his three point shot that he has to be REALLY wide open to get his shot off. So, IMHO, he will never be much of a three point threat. Hopefully, he can just make the occasional trey to keep em honest.

One area where he does really need to improve that you did not mention is his FT%. he's gotta get to around 70% plus, especially if he starts.
He was 71% as a freshman, with more attempts than he had as a sophomore.

Absolutely.
Always feel better when he's in the game.
He's a guy who makes good things happen.

But he's not a center.
He's done a very credible job there.
But best if someone else can handle the 5.

The freshmen big men have a golden opportunity to earn big minutes at the 5.

25 minutes tops... Unless he's given up the coffin nails...

Unless he gains 20-30 lbs., our ceiling with Marek starting and playing big minutes at the 5 is much lower than if Sidibe proves he's capable of playing consistently.

5-10 minutes there, fine. But we can't win against the big boys with Marek as our main option there. Unless every other position is even or better than the opponent. And we most certainly won't have that next year.

I just want to see him a bit stronger and have a little more green light for longer jumpers and a few threes.

He had the green light all season. He needs to be more assertive this season. It will help not having 3 other guys to defer to. I expect big things from him this year.

I’d like to see him:

I agree with most all of what you said, especially the bolded part

But I do worry about the defense if he's logging a lot of minutes at center. We have generally been a very good shot blocking team and usually pretty good at defending 2 pointers; going from Chukwu to Marek could be a big downgrade in that respect. Obviously he's better in other ways (like, anything on offense), but it could be an issue defensively at the 5.

180 pound post man. good luck with that.
I agree. Many times last year he looked like a boy against men. I haven't looked at the 2019-2020 rosters of other ACC teams but as much as I like MD's all around game, he is not a center on a game-to-game basis.

He had the green light all season. He needs to be more assertive this season. It will help not having 3 other guys to defer to. I expect big things from him this year.
Agreed, got a great opportunity in front of him. And as much versatility he has shown so far I'd expect more from him as he (as you inferred) becomes more of a focal point (hopefully).

Unless he gains 20-30 lbs., our ceiling with Marek starting and playing big minutes at the 5 is much lower than if Sidibe proves he's capable of playing consistently.

5-10 minutes there, fine. But we can't win against the big boys with Marek as our main option there.
What is this based on?

We need to be honest as a fan base - Sidibe hasn't contributed much and it's a complete unknown if he ever will. Whether by health or player limitations, he gave us one out of nowhere huge game against Pitt, and that's really all we have to hang our hat on.

I'd love for Sidibe to be a redemption story, but the Marek vs Sidibe debate as of accomplishments right now is comical.

Yeah, Marek's thin. But for all his supposed limitations Boeheim trusts Marek to be on the floor, and we can't really say the same for Sidibe.

The absolute best for Marek next year would be to get to 200 pounds. I think there’s a slim chance he can add 20 pounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom