Marek's Food Preferences | Syracusefan.com

Marek's Food Preferences

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Living in a foreign country his familiar food favorites are no longer available. I wonder if this is a factor in not being able to gain weight. I wonder what his favorite US foods are, and what does he miss.
He did not gain weight back home. Maybe his metabolism is just too high, regardless of diet?
Did Chewy finally gain any weight?
Do we have a sports nutritionist on staff?

Living in a foreign country his familiar food favorites are no longer available. I wonder if this is a factor in not being able to gain weight. I wonder what his favorite US foods are, and what does he miss.
He did not gain weight back home. Maybe his metabolism is just too high, regardless of diet?

I get the point you are trying to make here but this makes me laugh. I don't think that's the reason one iota.

Not in a d1 athletic program.

Honestly think it’s overblown. He was only too skinny when he wasn’t playing well. If he plays with the confidence he displayed in March, and avoids fouls by calming down a little bit, his weight won’t be an issue.

Eastern European food is pretty fattening. Grease (lard) is one of the major food groups (it's used to cook everything). Lots of pork, bacon, potatoes, sour cream and fried food. If he didn't gain weight at home this summer, he won't gain it here. (I grew up in an Hungarian household. I am appalled when I think about what we ate every day).

Last edited:
Eastern European food is pretty fattening. Grease is one of the major food groups (it's used to cook everything). Lots of pork, bacon, potatoes and fried food. If he didn't gain weight at home this summer, he won't gain it here.
Sounds like my diet in my teens and twenties.

I just suggested Mike or Donna write a story on this. It would be a great read for SU hoops fans dying for news on the team in the middle of August.

Eastern European food is pretty fattening. Grease is one of the major food groups (it's used to cook everything). Lots of pork, bacon, potatoes, sour cream and fried food. If he didn't gain weight at home this summer, he won't gain it here. (I grew up in an Hungarian household. I am appalled when I think about what we ate every day).
egészségére

Utica has a pretty large eastern European population, surprised that hasn't come west a little more than it has food wise.

He probably just doesn't want to get fat. Remember when Lydon added weight that definitely wasn't all muscle? He looked noticeably slower on the court. To add the right kind of weight, you have to hit the weight room hardddd. Marek doesn't seem like one eager to spend hours a day moving heavy weights around, though I could be wrong.

Simply gaining weight is easy if you have no regard for fat vs. muscle weight. There's no room for hocus pocus in the calories in minus calories out calculation.

Some people at that age simply cannot gain weight. I ate whatever i wanted in college and couldn't gain a pound. Don't have that problem now unfortunately
I have that “problem” now. I’ve fluctuated within 10 pounds of what I was when I graduated high school 8 years ago and I eat whatever I want.

Eastern European food is pretty fattening. Grease is one of the major food groups (it's used to cook everything). Lots of pork, bacon, potatoes, sour cream and fried food. If he didn't gain weight at home this summer, he won't gain it here. (I grew up in an Hungarian household. I am appalled when I think about what we ate every day).
Utica has a pretty large eastern European population, surprised that hasn't come west a little more than it has food wise.

A lot of it is, yes. Some of my family grew up in Utica. Ukrainians so I’m aware. But, not all Eastern Europe is like that. You start getting more into Serbia/Croatia and it is much different. Less heavy gravies and lard. More color in dishes. More pickled vegetables. Bulgaria, and of course Armenia/Georgia is pretty much middle-eastern food like we all know which is obviously dynamite eats!

Last edited:
how bulky is kevin durant...

I remember the “Hakim Warrick needs to bulk up” discussions. Right on the heels of the “Damone Brown needs to bulk up” ones. These guys aren’t playing defensive end for us.

I’m not worried about it. I’m sure the kid is working to get stronger which is just a part of the most important thing: getting better at basketball.

Eastern European food is pretty fattening. Grease (lard) is one of the major food groups (it's used to cook everything). Lots of pork, bacon, potatoes, sour cream and fried food. If he didn't gain weight at home this summer, he won't gain it here. (I grew up in an Hungarian household. I am appalled when I think about what we ate every day).
Sounds like heaven

I guess but there were plenty of times he was knocked down or pinballed around with a slight bump. Hak and Durant are irrelevant comparisons, IMO. Hak could rise up and power dunk over everybody. Durant has a PG’s handle and speed. He can get anywhere he wants to on the floor with the ball. Marek’s style is nothing like theirs and would benefit from more strength. Marek needs to get stronger.

Last edited:
Marek was one of our best players in the tournament last year. He was fine playing skinny.

They also weren’t guarding him. We barely scored. We were very lucky to advance. Offensively we did nothing. Defense was very good and we ran into a lot of ineptitude. He had that wow performance against Wake (ACCT) and Miami but to say the physicality had no effect would be wrong. Just watch a Duke/NC St/UNC game last year. He was overmatched and I love him and his IQ.

Marek is never going to be Charles Oakley, but he would benefit tremendously from 15-20 lbs of muscle. It was extremely easy for ACC big men to move him out of the way last year with a light hip check. But I can certainly empathize because I was built just like that when I was 18.

They also weren’t guarding him. We barely scored. We were very lucky to advance. Offensively we did nothing. Defense was very good and we ran into a lot of ineptitude. He had that wow performance against Wake (ACCT) and Miami but to say the physicality had no effect would be wrong. Just watch a Duke/NC St/UNC game last year. He was overmatched and I love him and his IQ.

He was the key to us actually scoring against Duke in the tournament. If he doesn’t get in foul trouble our chances of winning would’ve been much higher.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that he wouldn’t benefit from getting stronger. Every player would, but especially a skinny front court player.

I just think it’s overblown. Not THAT big of a story IMO. It’s more about strength than bulk with a body type like that anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom