Mark Lyons from Xavier by way of Schenectady is transferring and can play immediately | Syracusefan.com

Mark Lyons from Xavier by way of Schenectady is transferring and can play immediately

Soooo about that 1 yr rental of a 4th guard everyone's been looking for...

Just kidding it sounds like he's a real headache and some of the comments suggest he was a horrible teammate, not worth sacrificing chemistry IMHO.

http://www.musketeermadness.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12184&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I looked up an XU hoops forum, and it would appear the majority there are saying "good riddance" to the "cancer", although many characterize him as a "terrific athlete".

If I were JB, I would be interested enough to want to talk to Lyons, and also the XU coaching staff. Sometimes people just need a change of scene.

I didn't see any reference to criminal activity, which is a start. LOL.

It's one year, we have the schollies, and this may be the type of player who, if he behaved himself, could put us in contention. You have to take risks sometimes if you want the return.

I'm not advocating getting him, but I would want to investigate.

http://www.musketeermadness.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12184&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I looked up an XU hoops forum, and it would appear the majority there are saying "good riddance" to the "cancer", although many characterize him as a "terrific athlete".

If I were JB, I would be interested enough to want to talk to Lyons, and also the XU coaching staff. Sometimes people just need a change of scene.

I didn't see any reference to criminal activity, which is a start. LOL.

It's one year, we have the schollies, and this may be the type of player who, if he behaved himself, could put us in contention. You have to take risks sometimes if you want the return.

I'm not advocating getting him, but I would want to investigate.

Knowing nothing about him why would we want to talk with him? Would he want to
Be the fourth guard? Do we want the headaches? There is a reason
JB has taken so few transfers. We don't have a need that is so big
To take such a gamble.

Ah schenectady where people move to when they retire.
C'mon, no hate for Schenectady. It is the hometown of Pat Riley, John Sayles, Mickey Rourke, Ann B Davis, Sir Charles Mackerras (the other Sir Charles), Grace Adler, Doc Oct, Captain Jonathan Archer.

And former SU basketball players Bill and Phil Manikas.

Would UConn take him and go with a 4 guard lineup?

C'mon, no hate for Schenectady. It is the homwh etown of Pat Riley, John Sayles, Mickey Rourke, Ann B Davis, Sir Charles Mackerras (the other Sir Charles), Grace Adler, Doc Oct, Captain Jonathan Archer.

How could you possibly forget Billy Connors, who was one of the stars of the 1954 Little League World Series champions from Schenecatday and then played baseball and basketball at the Cuse before becoming a major leaguer and long time coach and front office person, mainly for the Yankees. According to this, he led Syracuse to 3rd place in the College World Series in 1961.

http://www.orangehoops.org/bconnors.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Connors

Schenectady has had a string of very good basketball players come out of that city, but the best was probably Barry Kramer, who was the 6th pick in the NBA draft in 1964. His pro career never materialized and he went on to law school. He is now a State Supreme Court judge. Kramer played his college ball at NYU and although Tristan might know better, he was probably the last great NYU baller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Kramer

Also, Shirley "Cha-Cha" Muldowney, the First Lady of Drag Racing, was born and raised in Schenectady.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Muldowney

Schenectady has had a string of very good basketball players come out of that city, but the best was probably Barry Kramer, who was the 6th pick in the NBA draft in 1964. His pro career never materialized and he went on to law school. He is now a State Supreme Court judge. Kramer played his college ball at NYU and although Tristan might know better, he was probably the last great NYU baller.
Pat Riley played at Linton (Schenectady) too.

C'mon, no hate for Schenectady. It is the hometown of Pat Riley, John Sayles, Mickey Rourke, Ann B Davis, Sir Charles Mackerras (the other Sir Charles), Grace Adler, Doc Oct, Captain Jonathan Archer.

I know i live there.

How could you possibly forget Billy Connors, who was one of the stars of the 1954 Little League World Series champions from Schenecatday and then played baseball and basketball at the Cuse before becoming a major leaguer and long time coach and front office person, mainly for the Yankees. According to this, he led Syracuse to 3rd place in the College World Series in 1961.

http://www.orangehoops.org/bconnors.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Connors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Kramer

Also, Shirley "Cha-Cha" Muldowney, the First Lady of Drag Racing, was born and raised in Schenectady.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Muldowney
My uncle was part of Cha Cha's crew for years. Solid!

Knowing nothing about him why would we want to talk with him? Would he want to
Be the fourth guard? Do we want the headaches? There is a reason
JB has taken so few transfers. We don't have a need that is so big
To take such a gamble.

As of now we have three guards next year:

1) Triche - hesitant and tentative, he has not lived up to expectations, and has little or no real PG experience
2) MCW - highly touted, yes, but if he were really any good at this stage he would have seen more playing time. He had virtually no playing time against real quality competition. He may get there, but that is risky.
3) Cooney - less touted than MCW, with no real experience, much less at PG.

If one of these players goes down with an injury, or is otherwise ruled ineligible, or if no one can play the point, we are SCREWED.

This is not an intramural team, that if we don't have the right players, that we can say, oh well, we stink anyway. This is a top-tier, top-shelf Div I basketball team, with millions of dollars and all the other things that that entails at stake.

That is why we need to at least talk to him, and give him a look.

Kid is a nightmare and as selfish as they come. He won't take kindly being the 3rd G (hence why I think he won't come here).

He took 12 shots a game last year; no one we had took over 11.

Lyons is not a fourth guard. He is arguably as good as any guard we have - that being said its all very balanced amongst the group so lots of PT is no guarantee. Even if he had a decent character, would not seem like the right fit for him PT wise.

But for whatever reason if he really wanted to come here, I think you have to due your due diligence and be open to taking a chance.

This type of situation [i.e., the fourth year transfer who is immediately eligible to play] is ideal in that it is exactly the type of pennies from heaven that would help address the lack of depth at guard next season.

I just don't know that Lyons is the right "fit."

As of now we have three guards next year:

1) Triche - hesitant and tentative, he has not lived up to expectations, and has little or no real PG experience
2) MCW - highly touted, yes, but if he were really any good at this stage he would have seen more playing time. He had virtually no playing time against real quality competition. He may get there, but that is risky.
3) Cooney - less touted than MCW, with no real experience, much less at PG.

If one of these players goes down with an injury, or is otherwise ruled ineligible, or if no one can play the point, we are SCREWED.

This is not an intramural team, that if we don't have the right players, that we can say, oh well, we stink anyway. This is a top-tier, top-shelf Div I basketball team, with millions of dollars and all the other things that that entails at stake.

That is why we need to at least talk to him, and give him a look.

This is all hypothetical of course. My guess is, if he is as bad a teammate as others indicate, we'd do better with Baye with the 4th guard. Chemistry matters. Alot.

I would hope SU would at least talk to the kid. Its a little arrogant to say he'd wreck our chemistry, etc. So the 2 teams who played for the NCAA title are considering him but almighty SU is above taking a risk on him? Kansas has their starting backcourt back but they have room for him but SU doesn't? I'm not say ing SU should sign him but there is no doubt in my mind that SU would be a better team next year with Mark Lyons than without him. Mookie is not the solution. We may not need a solution but why not add a kid that can shoot and wants to play PG. He's a good player who played out of position for 3 years because of Tu Holloway. X was a 2 man team this year Holloway and Lyons so you can't really judge him by how many shots he took per game. Can you imagine how many shots Scoop would have taken without KJo, Dion, Fair or JSouth on the team this year?

I would hope SU would at least talk to the kid. Its a little arrogant to say he'd wreck our chemistry, etc. So the 2 teams who played for the NCAA title are considering him but almighty SU is above taking a risk on him? Kansas has their starting backcourt back but they have room for him but SU doesn't? I'm not say ing SU should sign him but there is no doubt in my mind that SU would be a better team next year with Mark Lyons than without him. Mookie is not the solution. We may not need a solution but why not add a kid that can shoot and wants to play PG. He's a good player who played out of position for 3 years because of Tu Holloway. X was a 2 man team this year Holloway and Lyons so you can't really judge him by how many shots he took per game. Can you imagine how many shots Scoop would have taken without KJo, Dion, Fair or JSouth on the team this year?

Very good post.

Agree with your take, Lyons can play and SU should at least talk to the kid. Only half of the KU starting backcourt returns next year in Elijah Johnson, Tyshawn Taylor graduates.