Marrone thinks 'media really pumped up' Nassib connection | Syracusefan.com

Marrone thinks 'media really pumped up' Nassib connection

I dunno...sounded like a reasonable take to me. What part of that could people argue with?

Of course Marrone is right. But by not commenting at all on Ryan during the draft after he passed him over... It hurt Ryan and shows you the type of leader / person Marrone is in my opinion.

wow, that sounded like buff had ZERO intentions of taking him in the 1st round, like it wasnt even given any thought.

Of course Marrone is right. But by not commenting at all on Ryan during the draft after he passed him over... It hurt Ryan and shows you the type of leader / person Marrone is in my opinion.

Let me ask you this. Let us say that Marrone did not pick Nassib, but made a statement draft day to say, "we really like Ryan, but just felt that Manuel suited our weather and style better."

First off, when do you EVER hear coaches making statements like that during a draft. And how much higher do you think Ryan would have gone? In Barkley's spot? Third rounds. Second round?

Let me ask you this. Let us say that Marrone did not pick Nassib, but made a statement draft day to say, "we really like Ryan, but just felt that Manuel suited our weather and style better."

First off, when do you EVER hear coaches making statements like that during a draft. And how much higher do you think Ryan would have gone? In Barkley's spot? Third rounds. Second round?
The situation is obviously different than most.

BTW, Marrone says he called Nassib on Friday. Nassib says he hasn't heard from him. What's up with that?

The situation is obviously different than most.

BTW, Marrone says he called Nassib on Friday. Nassib says he hasn't heard from him. What's up with that?
Marrone's a liar? Weird

Marrone reminds me of a conversation I had with the biggest client I ever landed... I was in wealth management in NYC and landed my largest account ever, the account for a chief executive for a small hedge fund on Wall Street. After developing a great relationship (still friends today even though I have moved sides to asset management) I asked him why he decided to let me help manage his money given he worked amongst such remarkably smart finance minds.

He said it was simple... He has met/worked with/been pitched by a lot of really smart people. The problem is if they are super smart but not super honest they make a lot of money but you (the client) don't. That had never occurred to me, (I tend to think I'm overly honest) but has stuck with me ever since.

But give Doug this... He is a HELL of a salesman

FWIW, Gil Brandt, a great NFL draft guru, said on NFL radio that he knew the Bills were drafting Manuel 3 months ago.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Exactly... The kind of head coach that does his job on draft day...

Next.

So how much input does Marrone have as head coach on their picks vs. other front office guys?

The media did pump up the connection.

I didn't have a problem with them not taking Ryan. It was his refusal to say his name the next day on the radio that ticked me off.

I just hope Ryan is taking it all as fuel to get better and BE better than EJ.

Marrone's the best at this stuff.

Here's the truth - the Bills thought it was advantageous for people to think due to the Syracuxe connection they were going to draft Nassib. People made the connection and they let it roll. That's it.

People are having a hard time with it because he really sold that he was a Syracuse lifer and a cut above, and the truth is, he's just a flawed guy that happens to be a football coach that gets hired for really good jobs at really high levels within the profession.

Us wanting these guys to be more than they are just doesn't make them more than they are.

Weren't there reports from media outlets, before the draft, saying that the Bills were using the Marrone-Nassib relationship as a smokescreen?

No way of knowing. I don't think he should have made a statement. I think he shouldn't have said no comment when asked a direct question.

Exactly my point. I know what he thinks his job is and I know what credence he gives to loyalty and actually caring about his players. Problem is, he would tell you different. And, of course, he'd be full of shat.

This says nothing about the type of coach he'll be in the NFL, just the type of person he is.

Exactly... The kind of head coach that does his job on draft day...Next.

Exactly my point. I know what he thinks his job is and I know what credence he gives to loyalty and actually caring about his players. Problem is, he would tell you different. And, of course, he'd be full of shat.

This says nothing about the type of coach he'll be in the NFL, just the type of person he is.

Your not the only person to equate a draft day tough business decision with personal disloyal butthurt.

I understand the perspective.

I also understand it's not a valid argument.

The media did pump up the connection.

I didn't have a problem with them not taking Ryan. It was his refusal to say his name the next day on the radio that ticked me off.

I just hope Ryan is taking it all as fuel to get better and BE better than EJ.

Ryan could use it as fuel to get better, but unless something happens to Eli, he won't have the opportunity to show how he stacks up versus EJ. At least, not for the forseeable future anyway.

FWIW, Gil Brandt, a great NFL draft guru, said on NFL radio that he knew the Bills were drafting Manuel 3 months ago.

Sent using my Commodore 64
He must have an account on the pay side.

manuel's qb rating was 20 pts better over their last 3 years and he is a better runner. Nassib is better at avoiding interceptions. That's it. It's amazing that Nassib improved so much that he's a worthy 4th round pick. That is fantastic considering where he was in 2010 and 2011.

there are no bills fans that are upset. how come no one talks to him owing his success to justin pugh? he could've drafted pugh and gotten another qb the next round.

be honest how many of you would've guessed that EJ manuel had a better senior year passer rating than McNabb? (Granted, if McNabb played for Chip Kelly, he probably would've had a 180 rating - different era)

he's very underrated and i'm not just saying that because the bills drafted him - he's the guy i wanted them to take beforehand, I promise (i don't want to be the that digs up old posts)

AGREE!!!

You know you've made a bad post when edsparten agrees.