Marrone | Syracusefan.com

Marrone

orangepack

Scout Team
I find it interesting that Marrone had it leak today that he has a 3 day clause in his contract to opt out with ownership change. Either this was leaked out by his agent for a contract extension or he's thinking about going "home" and coaching the Jets..

orangepack said:
I find it interesting that Marrone had it leak today that he has a 3 day clause in his contract to opt out with ownership change. Either this was leaked out by his agent for a contract extension or he's thinking about going "home" and coaching the Jets..
Jets fans might like it, bills fans would love it

RF2044 said:
After he leaves, Bills fans can console themselves by going back to their new normal of winning 5 games and missing the playoffs with double digit losses.
I think the dolphins should've kept cam Cameron

Wow again for such a bad coach who would have thought he'd have all these NFL teams coveting him. Pretty amazing some people still deny that he's nothing more then an average coach, and actually compare Shafer favorably to him.

I think the dolphins should've kept cam Cameron

At least Dolphins fans can be happy that the team is trending in the right direction with wins, and that while we have a lot of the foundational pieces of the puzzle in place on offense for sustained success, we were just a few plays away from being 10-6. Sucks that we didn't get there, but we aren't going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, go back to scratch and start another rebuild. Especially when we're just a few players and a bit more experience for Tannehill away from cresting the hill.

So what's your excuse?

Despite that optimism, you finished one game ahead of us in the standings. First time you've even approached being respectable in more than a decade, if not longer. And that's with a retread QB who didn't have any business playing this year, who actually came out of retirement to play, and then retired as soon as the season ended.

Grass isn't always greener.

Last edited:
Wow again for such a bad coach who would have thought he'd have all these NFL teams coveting him. Pretty amazing some people still deny that he's nothing more then an average coach, and actually compare Shafer favorably to him.
They are both good coaches.

At least Dolphins fans can be happy that the team is trending in the right direction with wins, and that while we have a lot of the foundational pieces of the puzzle in place on offense for sustained success, we were just a . few plays away from being 10-6. Sucks that we didn't get there, but we aren't going to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

So what's your excuse?

Despite that optimism, you finished one game ahead of us in the standings. First time you've even approached being respectable in more than a decade, if not longer. And that's with a retread QB who didn't have any business playing this year, who actually came out of retirement to play, and then retired as soon as the season ended.

Grass isn't always greener.
The fact we did all that with a retread QB and awful OG's is what makes me optimistic.

The fact we did all that with a retread QB and awful OG's is what makes me optimistic.

Then I assume that you aren't clamoring for Marrone to be unceremoniously ushered out like Millhouse is?

RF2044 said:
At least Dolphins fans can be happy that the team is trending in the right direction with wins, and that while we have a lot of the foundational pieces of the puzzle in place on offense for sustained success, we were just a few plays away from being 10-6. Sucks that we didn't get there, but we aren't going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, go back to scratch and start another rebuild. Especially when we're just a few players and a bit more experience for Tannehill away from cresting the hill. So what's your excuse? Despite that optimism, you finished one game ahead of us in the standings. First time you've even approached being respectable in more than a decade, if not longer. And that's with a retread QB who didn't have any business playing this year, who actually came out of retirement to play, and then retired as soon as the season ended. Grass isn't always greener.
Orton had one of the best years in bills history. (I know)

Bills fans know mediocre coaches when they see it.

Pegula will hire someone better whenever he needs to

RF2044 said:
Then I assume that you aren't clamoring for Marrone to be unceremoniously ushered out like Millhouse is?
Im hoping he leaves on his own

Hey Anomander Scott Shafer won more games for Doug than Doug did for Doug while he was here. The SU defense was far superior to the offense except for Marrones last year. Shafer may get turnout to be a better coach. No one knows the future.

Orton was simply horrible. Hard to believe he even plays in the NFL He's so in accurate

I mean... I guess I understand your faith in Pegula, but not the rush to tear down the short term success instead of building upon it.

For years, the Dolphins were rudderless in the aftermath of ushering out Don Shula. They brought in Jimmy Johnson to make a splash, expecting him to draft as well as he did in Dallas [minus all of those draft picks he'd fleeced the Vikings out of while in Big D]. His heart wasn't in it, and he stepped down in 2 years--and the team handed the reins off to an inept buffoon, Dave Wannstedt. And then when the team spiraled downward, they brought in Cam Cameron for one season, who was completely overmatched. Great OC, lousy HC. And then they swung for the fences and hired Nick Saban, who only lasted for two years before bolting. And then they brought in a new regime headed by Bill Parcells, with a puppet figurehead Tony Sparano as the head coach. And after Parcells left and the team inevitably declined--to say nothing of how the rest of the league figured out the Wildcat wrinkle which brought some short term success in year 1 of the regime--they hired another coach.

Want to know what the only thing that was consistent across all of those coaches? Lack of continuity.

Every one of those coaches--of varying quality / capability, I might add--implemented a new system that required brand new personnel and time to implement. And then when they invariably moved on or got bounced after 1, 2, or 3 years, the team was always back to square one in terms of rebuilding again.

I'm in no way suggesting that Philbin is setting the league ablaze. But I believe that he is a good HC with above average offensive aptitude, and that the personnel they've brought in has built year-over-year toward something more substantive. And I believe that by adding only a few pieces of the puzzle through the draft / free agency [namely, a run stuffing defensive tackle, a starting caliber LG, a ball hawking ILB, and an upgrade at CB], this team can take the next step. Not only that, but also be good for awhile, so long as Tannehill stays healthy and the team continues to add weapons around him.

Would I rather have Bill Cowher instead of Philbin? Sure, because of his championship pedigree and proven track record of building teams. But I'd rather stick with Philbin / Lazor and see what they can do over the next two years than start over from scratch. Again.

It really isn't a stretch to envision the Bills taking off if they can figure out the QB spot. Not saying that Marrone is Lombardi--but with such a solid defense, if the offense can improve even a little then the Bills could improve exponentially. Does it really make sense to start over with a new coach, or are you just being stubborn?

Hey Anomander Scott Shafer won more games for Doug than Doug did for Doug while he was here. The SU defense was far superior to the offense except for Marrones last year. Shafer may get turnout to be a better coach. No one knows the future.

These are one of those times where I hope to hell I am wrong, but I will be absolutely shocked if Shafer is ever coveted for numerous NFL head coaching jobs like Marrone has been. Sometimes I think people forget the absolute dumpster fire Marrone was handed over.

These are one of those times where I hope to hell I am wrong, but I will be absolutely shocked if Shafer is ever coveted for numerous NFL head coaching jobs like Marrone has been. Sometimes I think people forget the absolute dumpster fire Marrone was handed over.

Agree 100%.

RF2044 said:
I mean... I guess I understand your faith in Pegula, but not the rush to tear down the short term success instead of building upon it. For years, the Dolphins were rudderless in the aftermath of ushering out Don Shula. They brought in Jimmy Johnson to make a splash, expecting him to draft as well as he did in Dallas [minus all of those draft picks he'd fleeced the Vikings out of while in Big D]. His heart wasn't in it, and he stepped down in 2 years--and the team handed the reins off to an inept buffoon, Dave Wannstedt. And then when the team spiraled downward, they brought in Cam Cameron for one season, who was completely overmatched. Great OC, lousy HC. And then they swung for the fences and hired Nick Saban, who only lasted for two years before bolting. And then they brought in a new regime headed by Bill Parcells, with a puppet figurehead Tony Sparano as the head coach. And after Parcells left and the team inevitably declined--to say nothing of how the rest of the league figured out the Wildcat wrinkle which brought some short term success in year 1 of the regime--they hired another coach. Want to know what the only thing that was consistent across all of those coaches? Lack of continuity. Every one of those coaches--of varying quality / capability, I might add--implemented a new system that required brand new personnel and time to implement. And then when they invariably moved on or got bounced after 1, 2, or 3 years, the team was always back to square one in terms of rebuilding again. I'm in no way suggesting that Philbin is setting the league ablaze. But I believe that he is a good HC with above average offensive aptitude, and that the personnel they've brought in has built year-over-year toward something more substantive. And I believe that by adding only a few pieces of the puzzle through the draft / free agency [namely, a run stuffing defensive tackle, a starting caliber LG, a ball hawking ILB, and an upgrade at CB], this team can take the next step. Not only that, but also be good for awhile, so long as Tannehill stays healthy and the team continues to add weapons around him. Would I rather have Bill Cowher instead of Philbin? Sure, because of his championship pedigree and proven track record of building teams. But I'd rather stick with Philbin / Lazor and see what they can do over the next two years than start over from scratch. Again. It really isn't a stretch to envision the Bills taking off if they can figure out the QB spot. Not saying that Marrone is Lombardi--but with such a solid defense, if the offense can improve even a little then the Bills could improve exponentially. Does it really make sense to start over with a new coach, or are you just being stubborn?
They have a great defense and missed the playoffs because they have a really sh!tty offense a horrible offensive line. That's why I'm not impressed. That's where he's supposed to be good. How long do you wait? He makes it worse by being so stupid about kicking. He's not the worst but he's easily replaced. Mularkey part two. Everyone tells bills fans what to think about their coach. It's not like the dolphins blew it by cutting ties with any of those guys. None of them went on to do anything special

They are both good coaches.

To be fair, and despite your enthusiasm, there is little evidence to date that SS will be a good college HC. At the very best, the jury is still out. Fact: he is 10-15 as a HC, with 6 of those 10 wins over the likes of Wagner, Tulane, Nova, CMU, and Wake (2x).

The guy brought us back from being the worst program in the country(from conferences that matter) to the brink of the top 25. Now he's got the Bills above .500 for the first time in 15 years? And most of the Cuse/Bills package fans still hate him. LOL. Weird.

Sometimes I think people forget the absolute dumpster fire Marrone was handed over.

I agree with you man, the GROB era was outstandingly dysfunctional in so many ways - truly outstanding in how the entire program, including S&C, discipline, coaching, all took a nose dive. Marrone did SU well IMO. He may not having been the next coming of Bryant, but he turned the team into a real football team instead of some stupid engine that thought it could - what a cluster frack that was.

I'm hoping SS has learned the ropes this past season and makes the right decisions for the team.

Jets fans might like it, bills fans would love it

Bills fans are idiots then, and after listening to a bit of their radio, both hosts and callers, it's pretty confirmed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom