Marv Albert to retire at the end of the playoffs. | Syracusefan.com

Marv Albert to retire at the end of the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marv Albert and Dick Stockton were both my classmates in the old small (pre-Newhouse) Journalism School at SU. Of all the successful broadcasters who attended SU (e.g., Tirico, McDonough, Eagle, Costas, etc) Marv has "given back" by far the least to SU in terms of time and money.

Last edited:
Marv Albert and Dick Stockton were both my classmates in the old small (pre-Newhouse) Journalism School at SU. Of all the successful broadcasters who attended SU (e.g., Tirico, McDonough, Costas. Eagle, etc) Marv has "given back" by far the least to SU in terms of time and money.
Did Marv actually graduate from SU?

Last edited by a moderator:
The goat.
Maybe the best play by play basketball announcer ever. Of course, he is a Syracuse man.

He has had a remarkable run, befitting his talent. I wish him a very happy retirement.

Probably the most versatile play by play guy (TV or radio) in the history of US sports - NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL just to name a few.
Like I said in my OP that Marv was the GOAT, but I don't want to minimize the work of Curt Gowdy, Howard Cosell and Bob Costas who also deserve recognition on Mt. Rushmore. They were also very versatile and great as well.

Marv Albert and Dick Stockton were both my classmates in the old small (pre-Newhouse) Journalism School at SU. Of all the successful broadcasters who attended SU (e.g., Tirico, McDonough, Costas, Eagle, etc) Marv has "given back" by far the least to SU in terms of time and money.
Well hopefully he has own things that he supports. Maybe in retirement he will show some love to the Cuse.

Marv Albert and Dick Stockton were both my classmates in the old small (pre-Newhouse) Journalism School at SU. Of all the successful broadcasters who attended SU (e.g., Tirico, McDonough, Costas, Eagle, etc) Marv has "given back" by far the least to SU in terms of time and money.
This made me think of a funny John Mulaney bit.
I have really enjoyed Marv's work. One of my faves.

I think he left SU after his junior year to take a job with Marty Glickman. I think he eventually got his bachelor's from NYU. His SU degree is honorary I believe.
He does not have a Syracuse degree. One can be an "alum" without having graduated from a school. It just means you attended it.

Does not giving money to the school he attended make him a bad guy? SU’s endowment is 1.4 billion dollars, they aren’t hurting, plus he didn’t graduate from SU.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

1) Syracuse is not a wealthy school; its endowment is pathetic compared to many similarly sized schools. Do you have any idea what it costs to run the school for a year? Do you have any idea how much scholarship aid it gives each year? That is why it is currently running a large fund-raising campaign.

2) My comment about his "giving back" to the school was related more to time than money. Mike Tirico, Sean McDonough, Bob Costas and Ian Eagle are always giving their time to emcee and/or host all kinds of Syracuse functions. We had to beg Albert to attend an event at which he was being honored with the Marty Glickman Award.

Last edited:

1) Syracuse is not a wealthy school; its endowment is pathetic compared to many similarly sized schools. Do you have any idea what it costs to run the school for a year? Do you have any idea how much scholarship aid it gives each year? That is why it is currently running a large fund-raising campaign.

2) My comment about his "giving back" to the school was related more to time than money. Mike Tirico, Sean McDonough, Bob Costas and Ian Eagle are always giving their time to emcee and/or host all kinds of Syracuse functions. We had to beg Albert to attend an event at which he was being honored with the Marty Glickman Award.

Might this be an instance where we can disagree without being disagreeable?

I have no idea what I’m talking about? Ouch, that’s quite condescending, but after your past diatribe with regard to Fab Melo when he passed, I shouldn’t be surprised by your elitist attitude...

I think Marv's grandaughter, Kenny's daughter, attends Cuse. Kenny has retweeted some really good videos she did during basketball season. I think she is part of the athletic department's social media team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom