Marv Albert to retire at the end of the playoffs. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marv Albert to retire at the end of the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

1) Syracuse is not a wealthy school; its endowment is pathetic compared to many similarly sized schools. Do you have any idea what it costs to run the school for a year? Do you have any idea how much scholarship aid it gives each year? That is why it is currently running a large fund-raising campaign.

2) My comment about his "giving back" to the school was related more to time than money. Mike Tirico, Sean McDonough, Bob Costas and Ian Eagle are always giving their time to emcee and/or host all kinds of Syracuse functions. We had to beg Albert to attend an event at which he was being honored with the Marty Glickman Award.

Wow. What's your high horse's name?

Last edited by a moderator:
Marv is one of the best to ever call sports no doubt. I will miss his presence and his unique sound/voice.

He had that controversy about his personal life and is a prime example of how unquestioned talent will always trump tabloid drama.

i will never care about what a person does with consenting adults in their own bedroom

I have no idea what I’m talking about? Ouch, that’s quite condescending, but after your past diatribe with regard to Fab Melo when he passed, I shouldn’t be surprised by your elitist attitude...
She actually knows about the health of the university.
My god.
She gave more information in her response to you than 99% of the posts on this board.

Syracuse endowment is not a treasure of gold the university can just spend on a dime.

What she said was correct and yet you are the one taking a shot at her.
She was not condescending when she actually knows the facts of the situation regarding the university.
The Truth is not condescending.

Also your shot is old. Get over it. You can insult a poster like me it’s fine I am polarizing but to pick a fight with somebody who has actually made a difference for students is a joke.

To this thread Marc is a jerk. His performance has been substandard the last couple of seasons.

Probably the most versatile play by play guy (TV or radio) in the history of US sports - NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL just to name a few.
He used to do MLB on NBC too, paired with Maury Wills on the Saturday Game of the Week. He also may be one of the best ever to call boxing. He was paired with the fight doctor, Ferdie Pacheco. Would do 6pm sports report on NBC, go to the Garden and call a Rangers or Knicks game and then be back for the sports on the 11pm newscast. The man was amazing.

Two things.

Perhaps Marv didn't get much out of SU. Perhaps he did not enjoy his time there.
If I wanted to be kind, I could honestly say that in 4 years I had 4 worthwhile courses in Newhouse.
Things have changed, or so I'm told.

Second, Howard Cosell.
Never met him.
But I don't know anyone who ever worked with him who has anything good to say about him.
His NY times obit tells you why.
"Arrogant, pompous, obnoxious, vain, cruel, verbose, a showoff," Cosell once said. "I have been called all of these. Of course, I am."

Two things.

Perhaps Marv didn't get much out of SU. Perhaps he did not enjoy his time there.
If I wanted to be kind, I could honestly say that in 4 years I had 4 worthwhile courses in Newhouse.
Things have changed, or so I'm told.

Second, Howard Cosell.
Never met him.
But I don't know anyone who ever worked with him who has anything good to say about him.
His NY times obit tells you why.
"Arrogant, pompous, obnoxious, vain, cruel, verbose, a showoff," Cosell once said. "I have been called all of these. Of course, I am."
Marv drops Syracuse references all the time during NBA games on TNT.

He teases Reggie about UCLA a lot.

He just clearly doesn’t care to put much effort into saying connected more than on the mic stuff.

My retirement gift to Marv
1621170023594.png

This made me think of a funny John Mulaney bit.
I have really enjoyed Marv's work. One of my faves.
Literally watched that for the first time last night.

"In their letter they were like, “Hey, it’s been a while since you’ve given us money.” I was like, “Hey, it’s been a while since you’ve housed and taught me. I thought our transaction was over. I gave you $120,000 and you gave me a weird cinder block room with a Reservoir Dogs poster on it and the first real heartbreak of my life, and probably HPV, and then we called it a day.”

YES!! And it’s good!

Best of luck in your retirement, Marv.
You spawned many imitators, but you were always the original.

Here’s hoping your post-work life won’t be “extended garbahge time”. ;)
I hired “Marvelous Marv” to DJ a dance at Split Rock school around 1959. I was a freshman or sophomore at West Genesee.

He was the night time guy on WOLF or WNDR. He was on air offering his services to DJ a dance for $40 so I called him. He promoted the heck out of it and brought two black bands with him and lots of people showed up from all over the area.

My club made a lot of money. Well, not a lot, because we only charged 50 cents to get in. Maybe I started him on his career.

Last edited:
She actually knows about the health of the university.
My god.
She gave more information in her response to you than 99% of the posts on this board.

Syracuse endowment is not a treasure of gold the university can just spend on a dime.

What she said was correct and yet you are the one taking a shot at her.
She was not condescending when she actually knows the facts of the situation regarding the university.
The Truth is not condescending.

Also your shot is old. Get over it. You can insult a poster like me it’s fine I am polarizing but to pick a fight with somebody who has actually made a difference for students is a joke.

To this thread Marc is a jerk. His performance has been substandard the last couple of seasons.
What an alum donates to the University is a personal and private decision. Nobody should have access to that information and if they do they have that access they should keep it to themselves.

I hired “Marvelous Marv” to DJ a dance at Split Rock school around 1959. I was a freshman or sophomore at West Genesee.

He was the night time guy on WOLF or WNDR. He was on air offering his services to DJ a dance for $40 so I called him. He promoted the heck out of it and brought two black bands with him and lots of people showed up from all over the area.

My club made a lot of money. Well, not a lot, because we only charged 50 cents to get in. Maybe I started him on his career.
Yeah, I'd claim that.

What an alum donates to the University is a personal and private decision. Nobody should have access to that information and if they do they have that access they should keep it to themselves.
Public appearances are hardly confidential information. They are PUBLIC appearances. I am talking about all the occasions that Tirico, McDonough, Costas and Eagle have given much time to emceeing SU events, speaking at SU events, making video appearances for SU, etc. They do it constantly ... and not just for athletic-related events. I would never mention a financial donation that was not part of a public record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom