Maryland files 157 million dollar countersuit against the ACC | Syracusefan.com

Maryland files 157 million dollar countersuit against the ACC

Alsacs

Living Legend
Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 5m
Maryland files a $157 million counterclaim vs. ACC. Alleges Wake Forest/Pittsburgh officials tried to recruit unnamed B1G schools to leave.

Lol, I wish I could be the ACC lawyer to file for summary judgment. This is going to be delicious and shows Maryland is trying to be aggressive to let the ACC let them go for 20 million. Get your popcorn ready. The only negative is WVU Jihadists will love saying this is the end for the ACC.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 5m
Maryland files a $157 million counterclaim vs. ACC. Alleges Wake Forest/Pittsburgh officials tried to recruit unnamed B1G schools to leave.

Lol, I wish I could be the ACC lawyer to file for summary judgment. This is going to be delicious and shows Maryland is trying to be aggressive to let the ACC let them go for 20 million. Get your popcorn ready. The only negative is WVU Jihadists will love saying this is the end for the ACC.

I found Maryland's chief legal council:

dr-evil.jpg

https://twitter.com/alex_prewitt

1. Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt3m
    From the Maryland AG office: "We allege the ACC is confiscating NCAA monies that belong to Maryland when it has no right to do so."

Expand
  2. Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt6m
    Alleges that b/c of "counsel and direction...received from ESPN," the ACC has tried to lure other schools "to extract more lucrative terms."

Expand
  3. Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt10m
    This counterclaim was filed in North Carolina, because the Maryland issues have been stayed until the N.C. court resolves matters there.

Expand
  4. Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt12m

Alleges that b/c of "counsel and direction...received from ESPN," the ACC has tried to lure other schools "to extract more lucrative terms."

No doubt in my mind that this one is true.

Is this illegal? Then couldn't the ACC sue the BIG for taking Maryland? Am I missing something here?

Good god this lawsuit is hilarious. I mean if this isn't a publicity stunt by the Maryland AG who is an election year to show the people of Maryland he is fighting for them then its so dumb. The ACC can show the payments being withheld aren't being done frivolously. The rest of this mumbo jumbo is so bad it could have been written by a MD AG 1L intern. I mean this is funny I hope the ACC proceeds to file for summary judgment and asks the court to make Maryland pay their legal fees for this crap.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt5m
Office of the Attorney General spokesman says "The Big Ten schools involved must remain confidential until trial or discovery." Darn.

It has to be Penn State and no clue any other B1G school the ACC would realistically feel they could get. However, if you took a poll of Penn State fans they would prefer the ACC over the B1G because of how much hate they have for Jim Delany and the bias they feel is yielded to Michigan and Ohio State.

So Maryland calls out ESPN. If I were ESPN I would never show a Maryland game on my networks ever again. F those terrible terrapins.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt5m
Office of the Attorney General spokesman says "The Big Ten schools involved must remain confidential until trial or discovery." Darn.

It has to be Penn State and no clue any other B1G school the ACC would realistically feel they could get. However, if you took a poll of Penn State fans they would prefer the ACC over the B1G because of how much hate they have for Jim Delany and the bias they feel is yielded to Michigan and Ohio State.
Way to ingratiate yourself to your new conference mates by drawing them into a potential lawsuit. Or, at a minimum, opening a new can of speculation on who was entertaining offers, how strongly they considered, etc.

The other school is obviously Oklahoma - Swofford will get them to tear up their pending B1G application to come to the ACC with UT.

But how does A-Rod figure into this lawsuit?!
All we know is Mike Francesa will defend A-Rod's involvement. I will say Maryland has a better chance to win this lawsuit than A-Rod does in Federal Court. The bad part is Maryland has practically no chance to win this lawsuit.

While I am not a lawyer, this just seems like grasping at straws to me. A lame attempt to get the ACC to settle.

Alleges that b/c of "counsel and direction...received from ESPN," the ACC has tried to lure other schools "to extract more lucrative terms." - Isn't that what the B1G did? Maybe not from ESPN, but I can't believe they didn't seek advice from someone regarding how much MuD and Rutgers would 'bring' them. Doesn't really matter who it is, private consultant or ESPN.

Maryland files a $157 million counterclaim vs. ACC. Alleges Wake Forest/Pittsburgh officials tried to recruit unnamed B1G schools to leave. - This is just so silly. It sounds like "MOM!!! He took my GI Joe!! MOM!!"

From the Maryland AG office: "We allege the ACC is confiscating NCAA monies that belong to Maryland when it has no right to do so." - I guess you can allege all you want, but aren't institutions entitled to withhold payment when owed money?

This is lawsuit is a publicity stunt for the MD AG in an election year. Make no mistake all politicians want their 15 minutes of fame in an election year to use a springboard if the AG wants to run for Governor in the future by saying I found the ACC for Maryland.

Ummmm since when are you not allowed to try to recruit other schools to join your conference??? Isn't that how Maryland ended up in the B1G in the first place???

:noidea::crazy:

wow you honestly expect common sense in modern america?:rolling:

this guy aint even got forest gump brains suing like this

So Maryland calls out ESPN. If I were ESPN I would never show a Maryland game on my networks ever again. F those terrible terrapins.

As UConn and the AAC has learned: you don't f*** with ESPN. Even with FOX a player, nothing they do will come close to Sportscenter (shocked how much I watch - every morning while getting ready for work and Saturday/Sunday mornings if I'm home).

Maryland is Jim Carrey...