Maryland Game Preview (2/18/23, 1 PM) | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Game Preview (2/18/23, 1 PM)

Cuse All-In

2nd String
Any update on the possible McNaney injury? Based on his stats against Loyola, it may be better if he can play. If Dolan plays, that may not be much of a bonus as he was a solid goalie for a weak team at Bingo as most of us remember.

Any update on the possible McNaney injury? Based on his stats against Loyola, it may be better if he can play. If Dolan plays, that may not be much of a bonus as he was a solid goalie for a weak team at Bingo as most of us remember.
Not that I have heard. They don't really release much information on lacrosse injuries. Perhaps, we will get some information about who the starter will be by the end of the week..
I would point out that McNaney was outstanding against Richmond in the season opener, which was in Byrd.

Any update on the possible McNaney injury? Based on his stats against Loyola, it may be better if he can play. If Dolan plays, that may not be much of a bonus as he was a solid goalie for a weak team at Bingo as most of us
I would rather Dolan play even tho he's solid. He's still not McNaney.

Not that I have heard. They don't really release much information on lacrosse injuries. Perhaps, we will get some information about who the starter will be by the end of the week..
I would point out that McNaney was outstanding against Richmond in the season opener, which was in Byrd.
Ha ha. My sons were both goalies so I know just how dangerous interpreting goalie stats can be.

Ha ha. My sons were both goalies so I know just how dangerous interpreting goalie stats can be.
No wonder ur so critical of goalies. I get it now it makes sense. Lol

It was bad enough that he left the field while play was still ongoing.

No wonder ur so critical of goalies. I get it now it makes sense. Lol
I'm not trying to be critical - just want to make the point that comparing goalies' stats is not as simple as many seem to think. I saw games where my kids didn't play well or got bailed out by defense but the stats were good etc.

I'm not trying to be critical - just want to make the point that comparing goalies' stats is not as simple as many seem to think. I saw games where my kids didn't play well or got bailed out by defense but the stats were good etc.
I didn't mean it in a bad way. U just know the position well watching ur sons play for many yrs. I get it I'm like that with defense.

Think i would want logan in net and healthy since he is the starter and if we beat them maryland fans can use excuse that did it without their goalie. Syracuse will def need to clear ball very well prob say almost perfect. Cause see faceoffs being a problem so will need every possession can get. Hope defense stays very physical as they been specially any inside finishers making them think twice atleast or worried if go inside may get lit up (legally of course). They did miss or goalie saves on some door step shots had def need to bury them against maryland. I also hope if johnny struggles at FO gait goes to someone else or all 3 of other FO guys instead of just letting johnny go down hard. Maryland coming off an embarrassing play and lost they will surely be focused this week. These next 4 games will be true test on what this team can do or about. Also will be about how much damage i do to my house depending on our results lol. As said before when my wife actually watches with me we have never lost 5-0 when she watches. This week i told her will ship our 5yr son off to grandparents so she is right next to me every second of every minute of this game even if i gotta tie her down. Taking no chances this week lol. Let’s go

Think i would want logan in net and healthy since he is the starter and if we beat them maryland fans can use excuse that did it without their goalie. Syracuse will def need to clear ball very well prob say almost perfect. Cause see faceoffs being a problem so will need every possession can get. Hope defense stays very physical as they been specially any inside finishers making them think twice atleast or worried if go inside may get lit up (legally of course). They did miss or goalie saves on some door step shots had def need to bury them against maryland. I also hope if johnny struggles at FO gait goes to someone else or all 3 of other FO guys instead of just letting johnny go down hard. Maryland coming off an embarrassing play and lost they will surely be focused this week. These next 4 games will be true test on what this team can do or about. Also will be about how much damage i do to my house depending on our results lol. As said before when my wife actually watches with me we have never lost 5-0 when she watches. This week i told her will ship our 5yr son off to grandparents so she is right next to me every second of every minute of this game even if i gotta tie her down. Taking no chances this week lol. Let’s go
Who cares about their excuses? A win is a win is a win.

The key will be trying to win a 10-9 game, not an 18-17 game. That’s what Loyola did and it was successful. That minimizes the impact of the faceoff disparity. Maximizing every possession and taking advantage of a potentially weaker goalie is crucial.

The defense needs to continue playing outstanding 1v1 defense and making the right choices on slides. And they need to force bad passes or bad shots to create extra possessions to make up for any faceoff disparity.

The Terps are good. But they looked Duke 2022 good on Saturday. They’re beatable.

MCAnenay looked like he had trouble second half moving left to right. Announcer made mention as well

Syracuse as a young team, faces their first road game this week in a trip down to College Park, MD. They face the defending national champs coming off a poor showing to an instate rival. Before this past weekend I would have been happy with the Orange keeping it to within five. Now with Maryland looking vulnerable and a certain other Maryland based team rising their own level of play, this game seems more valuable. I don't want to say "must win" but the importance level seems to have risen.

I didn't watch the whole Loyola-UMD game, but reading recaps and watching highlights a few things are clear. Against Loyola, UMD was plagued by turnovers and sloppy play. It sounds like that with the loss of their true QB type in Eric Malever, they are starting three finisher types at attack in Owen Murphy, Danny Matlz and Daniel Kelly. Against the Hounds, Murphy seemed to struggle in his role as a QB and finished with zero points. Kelly was the Terps best player with four goals. None of these guys are known for the their dodging so it will be interesting to see if Coach Tillman tries to switch up the lineup. Kyle Long has long been rumored to move to attack as he's more of a passer, but he is coming off a game with five turnovers.

The Maryland midfield hasn't broken out much, the leading scorer is Jack Brennan with a modest four points in two games. The Terps have some size at that position with Brennan and Spanos, will the Syracuse d-middies be able to keep up with their physicality? If the Terp lineups stay the same, I imagine Clary will mark Murphy, Caccamo will get Kelly and Kol/Dwan will take Maltz. It looks like Loyola put a shorty on Maltz, who showed some nice dodging ability, so that might also be an option.

On defense the big storyline is the doubtfulness of Logan McAnaney who seemed to be injured against the Hounds. I don't think there will be much of a downgrade in his replacement in Teddy Dolan. He had a 54% save percentage at Binghamton and now will have guys like Brett Makar and Ajax Zappatillo in front of him. Syracuse can't go into the game thinking that they've somehow lucked out.

Loyola stayed away from Makar, LSM John Geppert and Ajax and attacked the SSDMs (UMD sent their top four to the PLL) and close man Colin Burlace. I imagine Burlace will be match-ed up with Alex Simmons. The Denver transfer has had a great year distributing the ball but has not been great at shooting it - just a 18% shooting percentage. He will have to improve in that department, especially if they plan on attacking Burlace. Side note, but UMD did bring in two Under Armor All Americans in AJ Larkin and Will Schaller - do they get looks?

I don't think 'Cuse will worry that much about matcups, but have to imagine that Leo and Birtwistle will draw the shorties for MD. Will SU move the ball effectively or be drawn into one on one matchups?

Lots of people have commented on how close years matchup was. The Orange actually won the face-off battle in that game 15-13 which allowed them to make a game of it. In the face-off department, I don't think that will be the case this year as Weirman looks his dominant self and Richisua has looked "pretty good", winning exactly half his draws. That said Weirman dominated Loyola 18-4 but Maryland still lost. The Hounds got great play which I think Will Mark can match, but they were also helped by 22 turnovers by Maryland, that seems a bit unlikely to happen again.

Can SU scrap to a few more face-off wins? Can they maintain their defensive discipline against a hungry Terp offense? Can the offense win their matcups? I am a little worried that Syracuse has had a goalie save 16 and 19 shots against them, they'll have to shoot better against the Terps. I'll be interested in tempo for this game. If possessions will be in short supply, will SU slow things down? Loyola apparently did a great job of slowing down the Terps in transition. I think frustrating Maryland early will be important.

Hopefully Zach80 can make himself useful around here and give us more insight on his beloved Terps.

I am hearing McNaney is done for the season. Knee injury. Dolan will get his shot after toiling for Binghamton. I'm sure he will be pumped.

All three of their attack are far from useless off the dodge, but maybe more accustomed to getting the short stick after last year. Kelly Murphy and Maltz all had their moments off the dodge against Richmond, with the first two getting goals against long poles. I am not counting Murphy out as a major producer for their attack down the stretch this season, both as a shooter and a QB. He has a boatload of talent. Clary and Caccamo will have to be on their game.

With Aviles potentially out, I totally agree that more physical dodging middies will be a concern. The team play has been rock solid, but I am in general very concerned about our ssdm position after Aviles Rice and Murphy. Rosa just seems to get turned around and out of sorts way too easily in an extended offensive set. Does not seem to have the burst of the other three names. Trujillo knows the position well and is aggressive, but he is both very small and not a complete speed demon like Rice. Could see those two getting exploited at times. Then the ssdms after that put on a very discouraging performance in throw away time against Holy Cross.

Haven't done a deep dive on the Loyola game yet but a lot of the goals for MD in the first one were just giving a mid plenty of room to iso against a short stick and putting the hot slide and 2 slide in difficult spots. Tough to replace the feeding ability of Wisnauskas.

Think def gonna need to limit their transition specially off faceoffs as weirdman can score. Also think we need to get ball out early on saves and d mids push it drawing slides to start the ball movement or burying the shot themslves. Either way hope gait and petro prepare this young team very well and watch lots of film from their first two games see what works vs them and weaknesses. I agree trying what loyola did but staying away from gebbert,ajax,makar and attack the other guys. Think they will pole spallina hiltz and birt so simmons will have to bury his shots(struggled lately). Maryland will be looking to rebound after the lost so hopefully our team is well rested from two games this past week and mentally ready. Gonna be tough next 4 games.

Think def gonna need to limit their transition specially off faceoffs as weirdman can score. Also think we need to get ball out early on saves and d mids push it drawing slides to start the ball movement or burying the shot themslves. Either way hope gait and petro prepare this young team very well and watch lots of film from their first two games see what works vs them and weaknesses. I agree trying what loyola did but staying away from gebbert,ajax,makar and attack the other guys. Think they will pole spallina hiltz and birt so simmons will have to bury his shots(struggled lately). Maryland will be looking to rebound after the lost so hopefully our team is well rested from two games this past week and mentally ready. Gonna be tough next 4 games.
I want to take a positive approach to these next games. Whatever the results, the freshmen will learn a lot and develop. They have already shown they have some serious talent. If they can be competitive, that's good enough for me. If they surprise and actually make it really close or win a couple, it will show that they have a quick learning curve and will form the core of a legit top 10 team.

None of MD, Duke or UNC are as good as they were in 2021 when they were stacked and flush with star covid transfers. Let's go!!

I am hearing McNaney is done for the season. Knee injury. Dolan will get his shot after toiling for Binghamton. I'm sure he will be pumped.
Probably.
It is fair to note that one of Maryland's top freshman, Brian Ruppel, appeared to be red-shirting. If McNaney is out for the season, Ruppel might well decide to play and challenge Dolan for the starting job.

All three of their attack are far from useless off the dodge, but maybe more accustomed to getting the short stick after last year. Kelly Murphy and Maltz all had their moments off the dodge against Richmond, with the first two getting goals against long poles. I am not counting Murphy out as a major producer for their attack down the stretch this season, both as a shooter and a QB. He has a boatload of talent. Clary and Caccamo will have to be on their game.

With Aviles potentially out, I totally agree that more physical dodging middies will be a concern. The team play has been rock solid, but I am in general very concerned about our ssdm position after Aviles Rice and Murphy. Rosa just seems to get turned around and out of sorts way too easily in an extended offensive set. Does not seem to have the burst of the other three names. Trujillo knows the position well and is aggressive, but he is both very small and not a complete speed demon like Rice. Could see those two getting exploited at times. Then the ssdms after that put on a very discouraging performance in throw away time against Holy Cross.

Haven't done a deep dive on the Loyola game yet but a lot of the goals for MD in the first one were just giving a mid plenty of room to iso against a short stick and putting the hot slide and 2 slide in difficult spots. Tough to replace the feeding ability of Wisnauskas.
Hopefully Aviles is back and do u think it's possible to run a 3 man rotation of Aviles, Rice and Murphy then only use Rosa to give these guys an extra breather or is that asking to much of those 3? I feel like against these top teams those 3 can hang but Rosa might get torched. I like him he's tough but like u said just slow feet.

Hopefully Aviles is back and do u think it's possible to run a 3 man rotation of Aviles, Rice and Murphy then only use Rosa to give these guys an extra breather or is that asking to much of those 3? I feel like against these top teams those 3 can hang but Rosa might get torched. I like him he's tough but like u said just slow feet.

I saw Aviles on the bench a couple of times Sunday with the other guys in street clothes, and didn't appear to notice any obvious issue (like his wrist in a wrap, I think someone said he hurt his wrist?) so maybe he's back sooner than later?

Scuttlebut is Aviles unlikely to return for Maryland. Doesn't appear to be a long term injury but seems like he may need another week. Hopefully it will come up in this weeks PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom