Maryland QB Kasim Hill to transfer portal

cuse10

All Conference
Can't believe they left the ACC. What a ridiculous move.
They were deeply in debt and needed the B1G money to balance their books.

Orijinal

Starter
I know
#1, they shouldn't have been in that much debt to begin with
#2, if they just had hung on a little longer, they would have gotten paid like the rest of the ACC did

Hoo's That

Hall of Fame
I know
#2, if they just had hung on a little longer, they would have gotten paid like the rest of the ACC did
The ironic thing is, the whole debt problem was caused by Kay Yow's decision to expand their stadium despite being told not to do it by a committee she picked. She moves over to be the AD at NC State and starts criticizing Md's move to get more money to pay off her debts. As a separate issue, the finances of their academic side aren't exactly rosy, either.

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
I know
Fiscal year 2017
Maryland Big Ten revenue: $48.3m
Syracuse ACC revenue: $25.3m

Orijinal

Starter
Fiscal year 2017
True. But the ACC doesnt have their network either. Not saying that comes close to tying the BIG, but it ain't chump change either

Chip

Living Legend
Fiscal year 2017
Let’s pretend those numbers are real (I have no idea). What is it getting them?

They replaced a coordinator flame out hire with another coordinator who once flamed out. They’re in a division where they can almost never compete. Their fanbase is uninterested.

But the AD gets to have a lot more money. So yay.

javadoc

All American

They replaced a coordinator flame out hire with another coordinator who once flamed out. They’re in a division where they can almost never compete. Their fanbase is uninterested.

Arguendo, I love it.

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
True. But the ACC doesnt have their network either. Not saying that comes close to tying the BIG, but it ain't chump change either
It’s almost double so I don’t follow what you mean. I thought you were implying that Maryland should have stayed because the money ended up being negligible?

Last edited:

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard

Unfortunately, it’s a business now.

Townie72

All American
I know
Maryland athletics are funded differently than almost any school. They get no General Fund subsidy or Student Fees?

CuseOnly

All American
It’s almost double so I don’t follow what you mean. I thought you were implying that Maryland should have stayed because the money ended up being negligible?
ACC doesn't share ticket revenue or multimedia rights so those numbers are not included in the ACC payout $, the B1G includes those numbers in their revenue payout.

There are many differences in the accounting that will always leave a discrepancy. Both of those left out numbers for some schools are a pretty good chunk of change. It wouldn't get us to $48 mil but it would have gotten us a bit closer.

And as the other poster said, our network isn't up and running til August of this year. That again will close the gap a bit more.

jorand

Walk On
I know
Most UMD fans I talk to are fine with the move to the B1G.

Well let me rephrase that: Most UMD fans under 45 seem to be fine with the move.

Significantly more resources, peer institutions (state schools)

Cusefan95

Starter
Most UMD fans I talk to are fine with the move to the B1G.

Well let me rephrase that: Most UMD fans under 45 seem to be fine with the move.

Significantly more resources, peer institutions (state schools)
From a financial perspective it was a no-brainer to jump to the Big Ten. Plus Maryland has always had issues with the ACC - this was their chance to storm out in a huff.

But much like Syracuse and the Big East, there’s a lot of history that they abandoned. We have an advantage in that the Big East (that we were part of and remember fondly) no longer exists, and we have the potential to compete in football and basketball in our new conference while they really don’t in football.

I’m not sure how much faith I’d put into Maryland fans being honest about their thoughts on the move - they complained about the ACCfor so long that emotionally they probably have to sell it to themselves as a great thing. That “actually being able to compete” doesn’t factor into their thinking is significant it’s all a business case justification.

As a Mets fan I don’t care about the Wilpon’s Financial situation or accept their struggles justify their mismanagement - I want them to try to win.

jorand

Walk On
From a financial perspective it was a no-brainer to jump to the Big Ten. Plus Maryland has always had issues with the ACC - this was their chance to storm out in a huff.

But much like Syracuse and the Big East, there’s a lot of history that they abandoned. We have an advantage in that the Big East (that we were part of and remember fondly) no longer exists, and we have the potential to compete in football and basketball in our new conference while they really don’t in football.

I’m not sure how much faith I’d put into Maryland fans being honest about their thoughts on the move - they complained about the ACCfor so long that emotionally they probably have to sell it to themselves as a great thing. That “actually being able to compete” doesn’t factor into their thinking is significant it’s all a business case justification.

As a Mets fan I don’t care about the Wilpon’s Financial situation or accept their struggles justify their mismanagement - I want them to try to win.
The Maryland fans I know (I am one) fully expect them to be competitive in the B1G.

Durkin recruited very well during his tenure and the "real talent" (on paper) is just now starting to see the field.

My goal for Maryland is to be a MSU type program but with more top end talent due to our recruiting area (DMV).

Cusefan95

Starter
The Maryland fans I know (I am one) fully expect them to be competitive in the B1G.

Durkin recruited very well during his tenure and the "real talent" (on paper) is just now starting to see the field.

My goal for Maryland is to be a MSU type program but with more top end talent due to our recruiting area (DMV).
Hmm. Coming to grips with reality is going to be a real kick to the crotch for you guys. Unless by “competitive”, capping out at second in your division in wildly successful and rare years works for you...then it’s achievable.

SURules

2nd String

I really don’t think OSU nor Michigan will ever let that happen. They rule that conference more than UNC ever thought of and I grew up a B1G fan as a kid.

PhatOrange

Living Legend

except they hired locksley :rolling:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom