Maryland QB Kasim Hill to transfer portal

jorand

Walk On
Hmm. Coming to grips with reality is going to be a real kick to the crotch for you guys. Unless by “competitive”, capping out at second in your division in wildly successful and rare years works for you...then it’s achievable.
To be honest, I can live with that for the moment.

Of course I have loftier aspirations but I am a realist.

C Bomb

Maître Fromager
except they hired locksley :rolling:
I’ve heard the dreaded term “sleeping giant” bandied about by some of their more optimistic fan base since Locks is going to swoop up all the 4-5 star talent in the DMV

orange_in_VA

Starter
I’ve heard the dreaded term “sleeping giant” bandied about by some of their more optimistic fan base since Locks is going to swoop up all the 4-5 star talent in the DMV
I actually think Maryland really is going to recruit at another level for at least a few years. It just won't be sustainable if they can't start winning on the field. Locksley put together a staff of really good recruiters so its not a one man show. They will get top DMV kids to buy in. Will it translate to wins? Who knows. Poor coaches have won games over the years just by having good players. Being in the BIG East is an uphill battle though.

Horn88

Scout Team
I actually think Maryland really is going to recruit at another level for at least a few years. It just won't be sustainable if they can't start winning on the field. Locksley put together a staff of really good recruiters so its not a one man show. They will get top DMV kids to buy in. Will it translate to wins? Who knows. Poor coaches have won games over the years just by having good players. Being in the BIG East is an uphill battle though.
DMV recruiting pipeline is loaded for the next few years and Locks is an incredible recruiter. He'll get his fair share to stay home, and I think working under Saban will help him in terms of how he runs his program.

I have no idea what Maryland's trajectory is or how they'll be next year but I wouldn't be so quick to just write them off as a dumpster fire.

Marroniac

Allergic to bologna
DMV recruiting pipeline is loaded for the next few years and Locks is an incredible recruiter. He'll get his fair share to stay home, and I think working under Saban will help him in terms of how he runs his program.

I have no idea what Maryland's trajectory is or how they'll be next year but I wouldn't be so quick to just write them off as a dumpster fire.
2 wins and 26 losses.
GERG was 5-37.

His results as HC were worse than Greg Robinson. This isn’t an opportunity for belief without evidence. There’s plenty of evidence that he sucks.

Horn88

Scout Team
2 wins and 26 losses.
GERG was 5-37.

His results as HC were worse than Greg Robinson. This isn’t an opportunity for belief without evidence. There’s plenty of evidence that he sucks.
I don't think it is unprecedented that a coach improves as his career progresses and they learn from prior failures.

Again, I'm not saying I know for sure what Maryland's program will look like or achieve but I feel very confident that they won't be 2-26 in his first 28 games.

Hoo's That

Hall of Fame
Hey! I’m walking here! I’m walking here!

They'd better build a 25-foot wall across the exit from I-66 to US 29 south.

Cusefan95

Starter
It wouldn’t shock me to see them pass Penn State in the near term...just unlikely they pass Michigan and impossible they pass Ohio State. Plus Michigan State is a wildcard. Over the long haul they are the fifth best program in their division. Second in their division is their ceiling...and it’ll require a great year for them and a down year for three programs for that to happen.

OTOH, they’ve won one conference championship in over thirty years, so it’s not like they have a high bar to clear to be better than their recent history. So it is very possible that making bowls most years at 8-4, 7-5ish is going to be adequate for their fan base.

C Bomb

Maître Fromager
I don't think it is unprecedented that a coach improves as his career progresses and they learn from prior failures.

Again, I'm not saying I know for sure what Maryland's program will look like or achieve but I feel very confident that they won't be 2-26 in his first 28 games.
He should never have taken the NM job, it was such an ill fit. Far removed from his recruiting area and nowhere near the staff budget, it was not going to end well. Add in the lower status perception of the program, admin support for that program, facilities, remote location and such, he was not the one who could overcome those limitations. That said, Idk how well he’s going to do there, but he’s already overcome those two main obstacles since he’s in his recruiting grounds and he can bring in better support

orange_in_VA

Starter
Maryland just flipped Nick Cross from FSU today. They now have the #48 class in the composite rankings and they had like 3 weeks and less than a full staff to do it. They will be a big factor on the recruiting trail.

nzm136

All Conference
Maryland just flipped Nick Cross from FSU today. They now have the #48 class in the composite rankings and they had like 3 weeks and less than a full staff to do it. They will be a big factor on the recruiting trail.
Must be nice...

Seriously though, I’m optimistic about next year. Unless we come out of the gate slow, we have an established brand as an exciting style. We’ve proven that we can win. And, there is excitement around the program.

orange_in_VA

Starter
Must be nice...

Seriously though, I’m optimistic about next year. Unless we come out of the gate slow, we have an established brand as an exciting style. We’ve proven that we can win. And, there is excitement around the program.
Don't get me wrong. I'm only stating that Maryland is going to recruit at a much higher level than they ever have. Does it translate to wins? I have no idea, but I wouldn't put money on it, especially in their division.

Agree with all of your points about our own program. I'd rather be us then Maryland right now. I'll also say that Dino and staff are on the verge of taking our own recruiting to another level. I wish we played Maryland more in the future because we have a huge Cuse presence in the area and it would help recruit the DMV even more.

nzm136

All Conference
Don't get me wrong. I'm only stating that Maryland is going to recruit at a much higher level than they ever have. Does it translate to wins? I have no idea, but I wouldn't put money on it, especially in their division.

Agree with all of your points about our own program. I'd rather be us then Maryland right now. I'll also say that Dino and staff are on the verge of taking our own recruiting to another level. I wish we played Maryland more in the future because we have a huge Cuse presence in the area and it would help recruit the DMV even more.
Agree about Maryland games. I’ll never forgive the Big Ten for taking UMD from me.

All4SU

Hall of Fame
Maryland would have benefited from SU, Pitt and BC all being in the ACC. Some natural rivals without tobacco on their shoes.

Hoo's That

Hall of Fame
Maryland would have benefited from SU, Pitt and BC all being in the ACC. Some natural rivals without tobacco on their shoes.
They were really "more than annoyed" when their second yearly home-and-home opponent was changed from dook to Pitt.

All4SU

Hall of Fame
They were really "more than annoyed" when their second yearly home-and-home opponent was changed from dook to Pitt.
I believe an SU / Terp rivalry would have taken off. We’re still struggling to find rivals the equal of GTown, SJU, Nova and yes, Yukon. A regular DC area opponent would have been good for us and for them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom