Maryland: Durkin Fired | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland: Durkin Fired

It's not named for him anymore. It's "Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium" now.
It most probably still refer to it as Byrd Stadium. I saw some great Orange lacrosse there back in the day. Heck even the VP (Quayle) was there for one.

It most probably still refer to it as Byrd Stadium. I saw some great Orange lacrosse there back in the day. Heck even the VP (Quayle) was there for one.
I'm willing to bet my next retirement check that there are more than a few of their fans who still refer to it as Byrd Stadium and will until their dying day.

Quayle's sons played MLax for dook. Given the time period, I'll assume that they learned to play while living in the DC area rather than in Indiana.

I'm willing to bet my next retirement check that there are more than a few of their fans who still refer to it as Byrd Stadium and will until their dying day.
I'm sure there are but most of those people are probably 60+.

You say that like there's something wrong with that. Is there?

Really? How long has it not been officially called Byrd Stadium?
The vote to change the name occurred in December of 2015, so I suspect that it changed before the start of the 2016 season.

The vote to change the name occurred in December of 2015, so I suspect that it changed before the start of the 2016 season.
So I guess not all of those who call it "Byrd" are 60+.

Right. I didn't say "all".

I said "most".

And in my experience that's the case

Not a big deal but I bet if the Carrier done changed it’s name just 2 or 3 years ago that most everyone would still be calling it the Carrier dome regardless of age, not just +60 year olds.

Not a big deal but I bet if the Carrier done changed it’s name just 2 or 3 years ago that most everyone would still be calling it the Carrier dome regardless of age, not just +60 year olds.
Probably so.

I'm sure the name Byrd (and the Carrier dome if it was changed) would fade away with time.

I’m in my 40’s and still refer to it as Byrd. It’s also still Giants Stadium. It was always the Brendan Byrne, and as much as we hate to think, it will always be the Carrier Dome

Heck I refer to women I went to high school by their maiden name still decades later :p
Yep. This will never change. Seriously though how many fans call it "The Carrier Dome"? It's "The Dome". Always will be. Like Cherie's example my friend "Schmidt" will always be "Schmidt" even though her last name has been "Ramsey" for over 30 years.

Durkin made out ok!

Durkin's dismissal comes while he was in the third season of a five-year, $12.5 million contract he signed in December 2015. He will be owed about $5.5 million, according to buyout terms of his contract.

This year, D.J. Durkin and Chris Partridge are the Rebels’ co-defensive coordinators. They are making $700,000 and $625,000 annually through Jan. 31, 2022.

Might be some offsets in there but he will come away with more than the family.

Yep. This will never change. Seriously though how many fans call it "The Carrier Dome"? It's "The Dome". Always will be. Like Cherie's example my friend "Schmidt" will always be "Schmidt" even though her last name has been "Ramsey" for over 30 years.
Orangemen and orangewomen vs Orange. I will never call us orange

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom