Maryland: Durkin Fired | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland: Durkin Fired

The most shocking part to me is that it's so bad, current players are reaching out to the media to talk about it. Football programs are like Fort Knox - reporters aren't going to reach out to players without going through the SID. Someone reached out to ESPN to complain. That just doesn't happen.

As I recall Beatty came from Virginia, had a cup of coffee w/SU, was instrumental in flipping or at least turning then LB Ruff from Virginia. Seems like he was here for maybe 2 weeks.

A myth born of misunderstanding and coincidence. Ruff was all Monroe.

Does Durkin’s behavior flow upwards to Harbough or whomever else he coached with before or is he a rogue jerk?

The comeuppance of bad behavior is a great thing for college sports. These guys have been compensated in a way that shields them from having a normal college employment. It’s distorted and these things will keep happening.

As i’ve said before, our country needs to figure out a way to properly legislate college sports. It’s a weird set up with no real central figurehead. The issues of realignment, bad behavior are the results of money driving the entire engine

This may go beyond coaches just losing their jobs. A man died, and the parents aren't chalking that up as an accident. Given how long it took them to call 911, some coaches and the athletic trainer could very well be looking at trying to stay out of jail. It reminds me of the recent Penn St. frat house death.

This may go beyond coaches just losing their jobs. A man died, and the parents aren't chalking that up as an accident. Given how long it took them to call 911, some coaches and the athletic trainer could very well be looking at trying to stay out of jail. It reminds me of the recent Penn St. frat house death.
You’re taught to recognize and react to heat stroke signs immediately, at the high school level, as a coach. Paid and volunteer alike.

If trained professionals didn’t see it and respond accordingly immediately, then I struggle with that. It’s well known that the damage caused by heat stroke worsens with time if not addressed.

I’m proud that no one has wasted their time with the “young people can’t take hard coaching nowadays” post. Plenty of kids respond well to being coached hard but no one likes to be dehumanized and humiliated.

Best way to get your players to play hard: get them to genuinely like you. Babers seems to personify that very well.

You’re taught to recognize and react to heat stroke signs immediately, at the high school level, as a coach. Paid and volunteer alike.

If trained professionals didn’t see it and respond accordingly immediately, then I struggle with that. It’s well known that the damage caused by heat stroke worsens with time if not addressed.

Spot on. What's worse is the avoidance of heat stroke is relatively easy if you recognize any signs of it or its precursors , which may not always be as obvious in a young athlete. However, if an athlete, or anyone, is thirsty, hydrate him/her!* What sports team does not have water or Gatorade on the sidelines?

Hydration and a cool down does wonders for an overheated body, takes little effort and avoids serious complications. Blindly pushing athletes beyond what their bodies can take may be gross negligence, surely it is a sign of ignorance by the coaching staff. The military, in all training, beats into your head to stay hydrated in all circumstances, climates and conditions. The concept is not difficult to grasp. There is no excuse for a football staff to not recognize any signs and to do nothing, as you said, every coach at teh high school level is taught this information.

* Sorry, folks, hydration in this concept does NOT include copious amounts of your favorite alcohol...

The culture may have been horrible, but the kid died from run of the mill conditioning. In no football culture do you pull yourself because you're tired.

With RFID chips costing 7-15 cents, and remote temperature monitoring chips already available for well under $10, I don't know why they don't monitor the players to prevent a medical emergency. With 125+ players dying from it(1960- ), it seems like it's easy enough to address.

The culture may have been horrible, but the kid died from run of the mill conditioning. In no football culture do you pull yourself because you're tired.

With RFID chips costing 7-15 cents, and remote temperature monitoring chips already available for well under $10, I don't know why they don't monitor the players to prevent a medical emergency. With 125+ players dying from it(1960- ), it seems like it's easy enough to address.

Wait, are you talking about putting this inside each kid that plays football?

True about run of the mill conditioning, but adults should realize, per the article, when a kid can't stand on his own and is being held up by 2 trainers. The kids realized something was wrong, so either the adults didn't care about his well-being or they are incompetent. Either way they are at fault.

Ya, I hope Maryland gets sued to the bejeezus-belt and the coaches/trainer get slapped with manslaughter.

I can’t imagine what go through someone’s head thinking this is a way to help a kid get motivated.

• The belittling, humiliation and embarrassment of players is common. In one example, a player whom coaches wanted to lose weight was forced to eat candy bars as he was made to watch teammates working out.

I can’t imagine what go through someone’s head thinking this is a way to help a kid get motivated.

• The belittling, humiliation and embarrassment of players is common. In one example, a player whom coaches wanted to lose weight was forced to eat candy bars as he was made to watch teammates working out.

Or even accomplish the goal of losing weight...

Wait, are you talking about putting this inside each kid that plays football?
Hah...No. They stick them on the side of products in warehouses to expedite shipping. (7-15 cents)They also have them with a temperature feature. Most large warehouses use them(Walmart). You just drive pallets by, and the entirety of the order is remotely read. (Think EZ pass). Pretty simple to put em in a helmet, or on a head band...monitor temp. (Or more if you'd like)

*BTW. When they get them under 5 cents, expect them on every product in your local grocery store..(no checkout)

My point is that it's fairly easy, and widely used in industry. Put a $30 million settlement on each heat stroke death, and it seems an obvious solution, as the technology exists, and is inexpensive.

Last edited:
A myth born of misunderstanding and coincidence. Ruff was all Monroe.
Seems like Beatty played some role here. Monroe may have done the heavy lifting, but Beatty's presence may have been instrumental (10-40% I don't know) in Ruff's flip.
From McAllister:
Ruff was targeted right away by assistant coach Nick Monroe, responsibile for recruiting Florida for Syracuse. In fact, he had an in-home visit on Thursday, which went very well.
When Chris Beatty was hired, that sealed the deal for Ruff. Beatty was Ruff's primary recruiter at Virginia and a big reason why he picked the Cavs originally.

Monroe is probably our premiere recruiter. I think we're suffering a bit from Sean Lewis's 6'7" absence on the recruiting trail.

As was mentioned above is this a carryover from the culture at Michigan under Harbaugh? He definitely has kind of a maniacal personality so I could see it...

Incredibly disturbing. That article isn't just some speculation. It contains a bunch of information from current and former players. Serious information.

It’s why I love good journalism. It’s a watchdog in situations where institutions are unable - or maliciously don’t - take care of their own business.

Remember this the next time the Post-Standard “finds” something at SU (if that happens again.)

Unfortunately, this is “another brick in the wall”. Loh needed to be fired long before this happened due to his complete mismanagement of UMd. They’ve never been run very well in the past, and he’s even worse than his predecessors. The state is hemorrhaging top HS grads, and College Spark is the reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom