Maryland: Durkin Fired | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland: Durkin Fired

Syracuse "asks" media members not to reach out to players directly via social media or other means. I'd be shocked if Maryland was any different.

It's an unwritten rule - go through the SID or there's hell to pay.

I absolutely agree 100%. But media members these days - not the majority but there is a group - don’t care.

I absolutely agree 100%. But media members these days - not the majority but there is a group - don’t care.
Is this opinion or fact? And if fact, feel free to PM me. I'm curious.

So they spend the $$ for performance monitoring. Gotta think monitoring for a medical emergency would be fairly simple . If that's the case, any heat exhaustion incident rests souly on the school. 100 percent preventable.
I'm sure WMU has ways of monitoring a player's condition during practice via RFID. Just don't exactly know what is being monitored.

BTW, the S&C guys at Syracuse do a great job ensuring the players aren't worked to death, as well.

It's definitely fact.

If a player is gonna be on social media, why is it unreasonable for a reporter to reach out to a player through such medium? This is the reason we're having problems is b/c these schools are trying to run covert operations and trying to stifle information flow in the era of social media.

If a player is gonna be on social media, why is it unreasonable for a reporter to reach out to a player through such medium? This is the reason we're having problems is b/c these schools are trying to run covert operations and trying to stifle information flow in the era of social media.

I know why reporters want as much access as possible - and why it's good in preventing some of the most horrible abuses. But it's not hard to see why it's beneficial for info to be controlled too. Unfettered access to all of the student athletes and their opinions (young, brash, sometimes foolish) might lead to more clicks, but also more headaches, recruiting issues, etc.

It's a balancing act, for sure. But both sides have reasonable points of contention with the other, IMO.

Does any business allow every employee to speak to the media? Typically there is a spokesperson that deals with that. If there is a problem that needs addressing there are many avenues for a whistleblower to choose from.

Student athletes (especially freshmen) are often naive and subject to unscrupulous veteran news writers taking advantage of that while looking for a big story. Social Media makes it easy to get quotes from players that don't understand the consequences of what they see as an innocent post. I'm not sure I'd like to have every sulky back up spreading stories about the starter ahead of them, nor every unfounded rumor on instagram. If a player has a story to tell, they can spread the word without constant requests on twitter from a writer looking for a quote.

Does any business allow every employee to speak to the media? Typically there is a spokesperson that deals with that. If there is a problem that needs addressing there are many avenues for a whistleblower to choose from.

Student athletes (especially freshmen) are often naive and subject to unscrupulous veteran news writers taking advantage of that while looking for a big story. Social Media makes it easy to get quotes from players that don't understand the consequences of what they see as an innocent post. I'm not sure I'd like to have every sulky back up spreading stories about the starter ahead of them, nor every unfounded rumor on instagram. If a player has a story to tell, they can spread the word without constant requests on twitter from a writer looking for a quote.

Sure agree with all of that. Can a school ask their scholar athletes to not use social media period? I mean isn't that the right decision vs telling reporters to avoid the social media accounts vs calling them on the phone? when i was at Syracuse we would call players on the phone for stories. How is that any different?

I mean with the way college athletics are going and we'll ultimately pay kids at schools, how ridiculous will it be for the schools to tell reporters to not treat them like pros. They are quasi pros anway.

Given these events, will the NCAA release MD players to play immediately at others schools ala Penn State?

Sure agree with all of that. Can a school ask their scholar athletes to not use social media period? I mean isn't that the right decision vs telling reporters to avoid the social media accounts vs calling them on the phone? when i was at Syracuse we would call players on the phone for stories. How is that any different?

I mean with the way college athletics are going and we'll ultimately pay kids at schools, how ridiculous will it be for the schools to tell reporters to not treat them like pros. They are quasi pros anway.

I certainly agree with you that transparency is more needed in college sports, but again comparing it to a business, would a company tell it's employees to not use SM? I'm guessing SUFB already has SM training for athletes, but to ban Twitter & Instagram would hurt recruiting wouldn't it?

Media is used to playing this game, and they know they risk access for violating procedures whether its SUFB or Microsoft. Many college athletes are woefully unprepared to handle it on multiple levels.

Dirkin has to go, he is the ceo of the football program, he hired the strength coaches and trainers, it happened on his watch.

"Babers did speak to the element of verbal abuse, noting that he had a "change of heart" "a long, long time ago" to stop swearing, though he understands other coaches on his staff use profanity during practice -- a norm, certainly, in college football. I just felt like the language was a little rough for me," Babers said. "And I just felt like if you have enough command over the king's language, you should be able to find enough words in a dictionary to be able to describe things without using so much profanity."

Syracuse's Dino Babers on Maryland's toxic culture: 'I only know how we do it here'

Given these events, will the NCAA release MD players to play immediately at others schools ala Penn State?

Well, having had nothing better to do for about 20 minutes or so, I took a look at the incoming UMd Class, which SKOWTS ranked as the 28th best in the country. SU reportedly offered the following, who ultimately ended up with the Terps:

OLB Fa'Najae Gotay from North Ft. Myers HS, FL

OLB Nihym Anderson from Vineland South HS, NJ

ATH Raymond Boone from Eleanor Roosevelt HS, Greenbelt, MD

WR Jeshaun Jones from South Fort Myers, FL. Doesn't look like he seriously considered us.

CB Vincent Flythe from HD Woodson, DC. We offered, he visited.

OLB Durell Nchami from Paint Branch HS, MD. No visit.

OT TJ Bradley from Lackawanna CC, Scranton PA. Offer, no visit.

WR Darryl Jones from Virginia Beach, VA

So, yes, there might be so players with interest in us if UMD granted permission. And, hey, they're not in the ACC, so that'd make it easier. Flythe looks like the most-likely to consider us, but what do I know?

Imagine if you're a Redshirt Freshman. You're preparing for your first action and, both the coach and the program appear to be imploding.

It's not practical to ask for a transfer, but do you burn a year in the dumpster fire? What do you do? What CAN you do? Especially if you no longer believe in the program?

BTW, recruiting services considered that 2017 class a strong one. Some ranked the Terps in the top 20 classes.

What saieth the Solomons on this board?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom