Maryland: Durkin Fired | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland: Durkin Fired

It's not practical to ask for a transfer, but do you burn a year in the dumpster fire? What do you do? What CAN you do? Especially if you no longer believe in the program?

I would have to imagine it will be a much more pleasant place to play football going forward than it would have been had this story of abuse not been uncovered. I could see the players rallying around the remaining non-abusive assistants and succeeding this year.

no doubt, the dbag trainer was Durkin's first hire, and there is no way in hell Durkin wasn't a firsthand observer at best/participator at worst in the abuse that was going on.
Durkin was there when it went down.
Toast. Just a matter of working out the financial details.

Maryland's recruiting will likely be decimated this cycle.
This situation presents quite a decision for the UM administration:
1. Do you sack the entire coaching staff (or a large portion of it) for cause and put in place some kind of makeshift staff this close to the season?
2. Do you hope the maelstrom abates and you can just make a few token adjustments?
3. Is there time to put them all on Admin Leave and conduct some kind of investigation?

Tough time to be a Terps fan. I always wished they stayed in the ACC as a traditional geographically logical opponent instead of reaching for the B1G stars. I wonder if that Under Armour guy/booster is complicit in fostering a win at all costs culture?

Depends on the specifics and i apologize for not knowing all of the story. Was it a strength and conditioning death? Or was the staff aware and pushing the kid?

Does the firing of the strength and conditioning coach and administrative leave of Durkin based on media and legal pressure? Would this be swept under the carpet if the parents weren’t suing?

So when Declan Sullivan died videotaping the Norte Dame practice on a windy day, HC Brian Kelly decided to practice inside the day before with similar weather conditions. He wasn’t held accountable neither was the coordinator of videography. There has been no punishment at all for that death. The media has raised questions just like with Durkin, should the HC be held accountable for something they didn’t actually do? In the case of Sullivan they said there are many contributing factors besides HC Kelly’s decision to practice outside so no punishment was given. The pro-ND media mentioned that Sullivan was 20 years old and could have made the decision to not go up there since it was just a job. Who knows if he would have been fired for not videotaping. The parents chose not to sue ND which could have cost the university up to 45 million dollars. So the story went away and Kelly kept his job.

Imagine if McNair’parents didn’t sue. Would this be swept under the table and be discussed that there needs to be more oversight and regulations by each college like the Korey Stringer death. I feel that coaches are responsible for all their players, coaches and staff under them. That is why they are making the big bucks. They take the responsibility for what their staff does in their name. To put blame on just the strength and conditioning coach means that Maryland is trying to redirect the blame away from Durkin. Or are they trying to find a clause in his contract to let him go without paying him? Let’s we how Maryland deals with this!

Terrible thing to happen but coaches have to realize these are kids and not just pieces of meat that will further your career. ADs have to start placing clauses in their contracts to protect the student athletes. That will keep all coaches aware of what their staff is doing.

Does the firing of the strength and conditioning coach and administrative leave of Durkin based on media and legal pressure? Would this be swept under the carpet if the parents weren’t suing?

So when Declan Sullivan died videotaping the Norte Dame practice on a windy day, HC Brian Kelly decided to practice inside the day before with similar weather conditions. He wasn’t held accountable neither was the coordinator of videography. There has been no punishment at all for that death. The media has raised questions just like with Durkin, should the HC be held accountable for something they didn’t actually do? In the case of Sullivan they said there are many contributing factors besides HC Kelly’s decision to practice outside so no punishment was given. The pro-ND media mentioned that Sullivan was 20 years old and could have made the decision to not go up there since it was just a job. Who knows if he would have been fired for not videotaping. The parents chose not to sue ND which could have cost the university up to 45 million dollars. So the story went away and Kelly kept his job.

Imagine if McNair’parents didn’t sue. Would this be swept under the table and be discussed that there needs to be more oversight and regulations by each college like the Korey Stringer death. I feel that coaches are responsible for all their players, coaches and staff under them. That is why they are making the big bucks. They take the responsibility for what their staff does in their name. To put blame on just the strength and conditioning coach means that Maryland is trying to redirect the blame away from Durkin. Or are they trying to find a clause in his contract to let him go without paying him? Let’s we how Maryland deals with this!

Terrible thing to happen but coaches have to realize these are kids and not just pieces of meat that will further your career. ADs have to start placing clauses in their contracts to protect the student athletes. That will keep all coaches aware of what their staff is doing.
It’s possible that ND and the Sullivan family settled in order to avoid a public debacle.

It’s possible that ND and the Sullivan family settled in order to avoid a public debacle.

There are articles stating that the parents did not settle in court. They chose to not blame the school but support the school throughout the process. Who knows if there was a backdoor deal to keep it out of the news. The younger brother and sister ended up going there also.

Spot on, Kelly literally got away with murder. I am sure given Kelly's track record on TV that the kid was likely intimidated up to that elevated position to record "practice" . I say that given Kelly's ability to chew out his kids on national TV . He has a huge Napoleon syndrome and as much as I liked him at cinncy, i now despise him at ND. He is a whacko, certifiable and has vastly underachieved thus far at ND. The poor kid who passed away that windy day deserves better, as does his family. That story lost legs quickly and its disgusting. Another example of how these whacko coaches isolate and shelter their programs with the facade of "hey, we are in camp and installing schemes , so limited coverage please". Well, ok...just dont kill anyone...

There are articles stating that the parents did not settle in court. They chose to not blame the school but support the school throughout the process. Who knows if there was a backdoor deal to keep it out of the news. The younger brother and sister ended up going there also.
To avoid a “public debacle” you agree on things before then. I’m sure the family likes ND as a whole. Imagine if the school offered tuition (and room & board?) for the rest of their family as a sign of consideration...

To avoid a “public debacle” you agree on things before then. I’m sure the family likes ND as a whole. Imagine if the school offered tuition (and room & board?) for the rest of their family as a sign of consideration...

They "settled" without settling as you mention. The school can provide many off balance sheet things to avoid this dragging out.

They "settled" without settling as you mention. The school can provide many off balance sheet things to avoid this dragging out.
I don't think they can do that. They're a state school and I can't imagine that kind of info wouldn't be subject to an "open records" request.

I don't think they can do that. They're a state school and I can't imagine that kind of info wouldn't be subject to an "open records" request.
Notre Dame? The South Bend Indiana Notre Dame? They are a private university.

edit: Not to mention, there are plennnnnttttyyyyy of ways to get cash/perks to a family in a way that is off the balance sheet and outside the eyes of any open records requests (such that they would apply). The magic of boosters - "donations" to a fund set up in the kid's name, no show job, etc.

Notre Dame? The South Bend Indiana Notre Dame? They are a private university.

edit: Not to mention, there are plennnnnttttyyyyy of ways to get cash/perks to a family in a way that is off the balance sheet and outside the eyes of any open records requests (such that they would apply). The magic of boosters - "donations" to a fund set up in the kid's name, no show job, etc.

ND essentially has unlimited money and zero reporting duties at their disposal for a situation like this to be resolved amicably for all involved. It was a tragic accident that is not criminal but a school like ND would want to do right for a kid trying to help the football program.

The head coach should not be the person hiring the Athletic Trainers. That should be above his head to limit the influence he has over trainers for getting injured kids back on the field. It makes sense with S&C but not ATC's.

Last edited:
Chick Hernandez‏Verified account @MrChickSports 3h3 hours ago

MARYLAND UPDATE: According to Univ. sources, the board of Regents came away from Friday’s meeting believing school president Dr. Wallace Loh, AD Damon Evans, head coach DJ Durkin should all be relieved of their positions. The announcement to come in next two weeks. Con’ t #terps

University sources told me the board plans to reach out to Hall of Famer, former Maryland basketball coach Gary Williams to be the school’s interim AD. Williams has not been contacted as of this report. #terps #nojob #stillbeating

Who knows...it's twitter. This guy could be the Dude of UMD.

MARYLAND UPDATE: According to Univ. sources, the board of Regents came away from Friday’s meeting believing school president Dr. Wallace Loh, AD Damon Evans, head coach DJ Durkin should all be relieved of their positions. The announcement to come in next two weeks. Con’ t #terps

University sources told me the board plans to reach out to Hall of Famer, former Maryland basketball coach Gary Williams to be the school’s interim AD. Williams has not been contacted as of this report. #terps #nojob #stillbeating

Did he say if anything is imminent?

Perhaps Oklahoma to the B1G?

(I almost miss the chaos of conference realignment)

Yeah, people forget about it, but Brian Kelly killed a kid.

It's good to have reminders about that now and again.

I can't tell you if this particular tweet is right, wrong or indifferent, but Hernandez at least was a major DC sports reporter on the regional sports channel that broadcasts the Caps and Wizards. What he says could happen is a LOT more likely than what the Dud of WV says.

An NFL player hasn’t died from heat exertion in 17 years. That’s the full measure of the crude, knuckle-dragging stupidity at work here. You know how many kids NCAA football coaches have killed with conditioning drills in that same period? Twenty-seven. I say “kill,” because that’s what it is, when tyrants force captive young men to run themselves to death, out of their own outdated fears of weakness. Why is the NCAA tolerating this kill rate, which is unmatched at any other level of football?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom