Maryland: Durkin Fired | Syracusefan.com

Maryland: Durkin Fired

Steven Godfrey over at SB Nation has been hinting that the staff might not survive this season on his podcast. I was confused why but I wonder if this has been a well known issue amongst coaches and media.

The B10 strikes again

Last edited:
Steven Godfrey over at SB Naion has been hinting that the staff might not survive this season on his podcast. I was confused why but I wonder if this has been a well known issue.
With the way communication travels now, hard to imagine word wasn’t out to those around the program.

I’m not saying that elements or degrees of it don’t exist in every program, but much like everything else, things are changing. And that’s good in my opinion.

I’ve never once in 15 years had to berate, belittle or humiliate a kid to get them to work their hardest.

Last edited:
Soooo, not to be too much of a vulture but any commits of theirs we can pick off?

Was looking at their commits. don't think we were recruiting many of their guys. Of their 10 commits, only all-purpose back Jordan Houston (5-9 180 from Flint Hill School) had any interest from SU. And his second choice was apparently Va. Tech.

Was looking at their commits. don't think we were recruiting many of their guys. Of their 10 commits, only all-purpose back Jordan Houston (5-9 180 from Flint Hill School) had any interest from SU. And his second choice was apparently Va. Tech.
Just about to read the article, but wasn’t there a super recruiter that we had for like a week? Is he an option?

Just read this and came straight over for thoughts. Durkin has no shot at surviving this nowadays. Maybe 5 years ago they could find a way through it but not happening now.

I experienced seeing verbal abuse and some intimidation tactics in high school football. Obviously nothing that led to a death or took it this far. Sounds like they treated they players as comodities instead of human beings.

No idea how that staff survives this.

Not the greatest day to be a DC- Area Football fan with Guice and now this.

I’m proud that no one has wasted their time with the “young people can’t take hard coaching nowadays” post. Plenty of kids respond well to being coached hard but no one likes to be dehumanized and humiliated.
Yep. There's a way to be a hard ass, and still engender respect and motivation from your team. This is over the top.

What’s sad is that it took a young man’s death to bring it totally to light.

What's even sadder though is these idiots did not change their tactics. Durkin and this strength coach are sub human. Honestly. University of Maryland is supposed to be an institution of higher learning. After reading stuff like this I think the entire school needs to take a look at themselves and think about getting rid of their football program for a year. A kid died of heatstroke and they changed absolutely nothing. Durkin has already shown he can't police himself. Its really disgusting.

I absolutely loathed my college football coach. He would throw absolute temper tantrums on the sideline and did the whole verbal belittling part mixed in with an occasional grabbed facemask. But compared to these maniacs he looks like a saint.

Administrative leave...

Normally, I would say they come back, because camp has started. The estimated settlement is about $30 million, though.. They gone...

123 heat stroke deaths, from 1960-2009. Trending up.. Preventable.

How can they successfully recruit in that environment???

I've been reading up on this, and it's pretty messed up stuff. Not in the sense of what happened at places like PSU or Baylor, but in its own way. 2018 and we still have this bozo stuff going on? Scary how many morons exist.

Do these idiot coaches and trainers think these stories won’t come out eventually? It’s 2018.

Bingo. Just posted the same thing above (didn't read thread before posting).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom