Matthew Moyer looks back on Syracuse, ahead at Vanderbilt | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer looks back on Syracuse, ahead at Vanderbilt

He had a spot in the Newhouse School and gave it up. That doesn't seem all that smart to me.

Story is weak. But moyer seems like a classy kid and wont throw shade at boeheim or the program. Fact of the matter is he isnt very good.

Story is weak. But moyer seems like a classy kid and wont throw shade at boeheim or the program. Fact of the matter is he isnt very good.

I don’t think he’d be playing at all this year. With Hughes, Brissett, and Marek...he’d barely see more minutes than Braswell IMO. And with all 3 of those guys being sophomores...he’d be in an uphill battle to get any real time next year too.

He had a spot in the Newhouse School and gave it up. That doesn't seem all that smart to me.
He'll end up with a degree(s) from a well respected institution and he'll get to play basketball instead of rotting on the bench. He was a hard worker and has nothing bad to say about his time here. In there anyone on this board that is less capable than you of seeing something from someone else's perspective and simply wishing them well?

Matty Nice is a great kid, student, and teammate, and I’m glad he was Orange.
He stuck w us thru some hard times, and made some positive contributions while he was here.

I wish him nothing but the best at Vandy, and hope he finds the level of success on the court there, that he couldn’t here.

He’ll likely be very successful in his life, but it’s also just as likely it won’t be playing hoops.

Which is fine - he’s still getting a excellent education for free, will probably finish with a Masters given that he’ll be in college for 5 years, and also had the experience of playing ball at the D1 level.

One thing that bothers me is Moyers comment that he was only allowed to shoot within the arc. Why don’t we recruit all shooters. Why are guys on floor with restrictions.

This is partly why our offense is always weak. We look for certain people and all teams know it. There are only 5 guys out there. You can’t be handcuffing players and if they can’t shoot why did you recruit them.

Guys designated as our non shooters are left totally open. Gotta gave some faith to keep defense honest

One thing that bothers me is Moyers comment that he was only allowed to shoot within the arc. Why don’t we recruit all shooters. Why are guys on floor with restrictions.

This is partly why our offense is always weak. We look for certain people and all teams know it. There are only 5 guys out there. You can’t be handcuffing players and if they can’t shoot why did you recruit them.

Guys designated as our non shooters are left totally open. Gotta gave some faith to keep defense honest

I think guys taking shots they can make and the right guys shooting is typically a strength of Syracuse teams, and one that we possibly take for granted.

How would Matt having a green light from 3 last year have benefited anybody?

Plenty of guys at SU were given more of a green light later in their careers after they had worked to improve and proven they could make them.

I think guys taking shots they can make and the right guys shooting is typically a strength of Syracuse teams, and one that we possibly take for granted.

How would Matt having a green light from 3 last year have benefited anybody?

Plenty of guys at SU were given more of a green light later in their careers after they had worked to improve and proven they could make them.
Kinda my point. Why recruit guys like Moyer with especially shooting as a weakness. Nova finds guys a and they all let it fly. Recruiting solely for the zone leaves centers uninterested and us without versatile players

Kinda my point. Why recruit guys like Moyer with especially shooting as a weakness. Nova finds guys a and they all let it fly. Recruiting solely for the zone leaves centers uninterested and us without versatile players

I agree that we need to recruit better shooters. And it appears that we are. Brought in Hughes as a transfer, recruited Boeheim, got Girard coming in.

I know he has struggled this year, but Brissett is a PF that can make them.

Moyer was a well regarded recruit though. He may develop into a good shooter as an upperclassman. We’ll see.

He had a double-double against VA Tech last year ... just sayin'.

And was a maniac against UConn.

But against Duke, he caught the ball and traveled for no reason.

He had a long ways to go offensively. Good energy guy to bring in and hustle off the bench. The kind of guy where you need other good offensive players on the floor when he’s in the game though, and we didn’t really have enough of those last year.

Moyer was a really good rebounder and good at putting it back up and gimmes too. I see Marek getting better at this in future but now he just throws rebound out to perimeter

Not sure why most everyone here now expects players to be finished products as redshirt freshman, how ridiculous. A lot of good players that barely touched the floor until they were upperclassmen.

Not sure why most everyone here now expects players to be finished products as redshirt freshman, how ridiculous. A lot of good players that barely touched the floor until they were upperclassmen.
I think it's because anyone that has talent leaves after that.

You can tell when a guys skillset is limited. Or isnt a good fit. Thats not expecting someone to be a finished product. For example, jalen carey isnt having a great first year but i think the majority expects him to be very good down the line.

You can tell when a guys skillset is limited. Or isnt a good fit. Thats not expecting someone to be a finished product. For example, jalen carey isnt having a great first year but i think the majority expects him to be very good down the line.

There is also a crap ton of value in a senior that averages 8 points and 6 boards, has a lot of big game experience and knows how to make the small plays that help to win ball games. We rarely have those guys. Marek seems to be the only one on the roster currently that fits into that role. Can't have 5 guys all averaging 15 and 10, role players are vital.

There is also a crap ton of value in a senior that averages 8 points and 6 boards, has a lot of big game experience and knows how to make the small plays that help to win ball games. We rarely have those guys. Marek seems to be the only one on the roster currently that fits into that role. Can't have 5 guys all averaging 15 and 10, role players are vital.

agreed but that doesn't mean moyer would have fit that role. he is a way worse version of tyler roberson imho. he's not josh pace.

agreed but that doesn't mean moyer would have fit that role. he is a way worse version of tyler roberson imho. he's not josh pace.

He’s the type of player that we’ll forget all about in a few years and then when someone brings him up, we’ll all say “oh yeah, he played for us at one point.”

Kinda like Mike Jones, Louie McCroskey, etc.

He'll end up with a degree(s) from a well respected institution and he'll get to play basketball instead of rotting on the bench. He was a hard worker and has nothing bad to say about his time here. In there anyone on this board that is less capable than you of seeing something from someone else's perspective and simply wishing them well?
A degree from Newhouse is one of the best degrees of any kind from anywhere. That's why I wanted him to stay because he would be great as a sports media person. There seemed like so much ego driven things going on regarding his position on the team that what was best for him was secondary. He could have been a role player/ energy guy on this team and made all the professional contacts thru his academic work. I still wish he had been able to stay. I'm sure he will do well at Vandy, which is a great school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom