May I ask what is up with Benny Williams? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

May I ask what is up with Benny Williams?

We had posts on this board that said his jump shot was his best skill and was smooth. How is that possible seeing his shot, if it was it same in hs. not questioning what you are saying at all. Just don’t know how it’s possible to say that if this is his shot
We also had posts here saying that Tyler Roberson was a great mid range shooter.

I don't think I've seen that shot from him in a SU uniform. If he shot like that, his ppg would be doubled what it currently is.
Yeah, he will come around. I am sure Gerry is working with him and once he gets more comfortable with the speed of the game at this level, he will start shooting with more confidence. Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later. For this team to really excel, Benny needs to become an impact player. I don't think he will start this year, but by the end of the season, he will be a difference maker.

Used to use a broom in practice to improve shot arc. I saw in some of SU practice video a training device for that purpose. The old adage is if the shots go in don’t mess with the shot. Since Bennies shots are not falling time to go to extra shooting drills and take SY with him.

We had posts on this board that said his jump shot was his best skill and was smooth. How is that possible seeing his shot, if it was it same in hs. not questioning what you are saying at all. Just don’t know how it’s possible to say that if this is his shot
I’ve learned to take high school scouting reports with a grain of salt .. i recalll Stevie Thompson shot like 80% from the line in his senior year of high school .. then he shows up on campus and he was laying bricks the Likes of which haven’t been seen since The New Deal

If JB is going to use Benny off the bench, JB and Benny should try to use Scottie Barnes as a model.

Benny’s shot can get fixed in the nba. It won’t get fixed here.

He needs to focus on doing everything else, we have enough jump shooters already.

I can't find them now, but I remember someone posting lists of the first year stats of the top 50 recruits over a 3 year period (a few years back). In general:

The Top 15 Recruits did fairly well in the first year, with a few flops.
But from 16-50, it was very much hit or miss. Many did OK in limited minutes. There was some that were very good right away, but it was very limited amount. Some did nothing.

I think this board generally usually aims too high in what it predicts / expects from frosh. Some hit, the majority do not. And its not unique - I suspect most fanbases do the exact same, especially those that are middling a bit.
Which is why it would have been helpful to have Quincy back as a starter or Braswell or Woody available off the bench. Woody was a shooter and was also athletic.

Last edited:
A player’s development can only be pushed so much.
It must happen organically with coaching.
That’s true for everyone.

Benny will be Benny.
He may be more limited this season than we would have hoped.
But just from watching the way he moves and his athletic ability it seems eventually the sky is the limit.
Almost literally.

Defensive rebound, attack the offensive glass (reasonably), take advantage of a matchup in the paint, work hard on defense. That’s what I want right now. It’s clear he has ability. The block against Drexel, the rebound and then one hand cram inside…. Those are clear indications for me.

Defensive rebound, attack the offensive glass (reasonably), take advantage of a matchup in the paint, work hard on defense. That’s what I want right now. It’s clear he has ability. The block against Drexel, the rebound and then one hand cram inside…. Those are clear indications for me.
Defensive rebound, defensive rebound defensive rebound. In that order.

It seems like everyone predicts our big name recruits are going to be 1 and done without seeing them play a minute of college ball. Some were predicting Jalen Carey would be one and done. He played like 5 minutes tonight vs. BC and almost did not record a stat.

I will put myself in the 1-and-done camp because there are only two outcomes anymore for a top 50 player: they do good to great and jump to pro ball, or they do less than that and either get fewer minutes and/or a reality check from a coach in which case they will transfer. Either way it is a one year player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom