May not be easy for UConn to find a conference | Syracusefan.com

May not be easy for UConn to find a conference

Orangemen

All Conference
UConn will be scrambling right now for a new conference, but the fact that they openly want a Big 5 membership could be a real sticking point in finding that new home.

The BE7 apparently don't want them, and they shouldn't. Fball schools caused this BE mess in the first place, if they are going to start fresh, they should do it the right way. And that means no UConn, or Cincy.

If a new conference is formed, UConn bball will be one of its marquee programs, and a big part of whatever kind of bball TV money the conference gets. UConn fball will be just another program in whatever conference is formed, they could live with it or without it.

I could see any new league being put together with some sort of, at least, harsh short term financial penalty included. Something like a 3 year perpetually renewed GOR. If a new conference starts up with half the members looking for life boats, how much money could they reasonably expect from a TV deal.

Whoever accepts UConn will probably be demanding some sort of short term, or longer, guarantee that UConn will be sticking around. Not ideal from the UConn perspective, but it may be the cost of doing business.

UConn will be scrambling right now for a new conference, but the fact that they openly want a Big 5 membership could be a real sticking point in finding that new home.

The BE7 apparently don't want them, and they shouldn't. Fball schools caused this BE mess in the first place, if they are going to start fresh, they should do it the right way. And that means no UConn, or Cincy.

If a new conference is formed, UConn bball will be one of its marquee programs, and a big part of whatever kind of bball TV money the conference gets. UConn fball will be just another program in whatever conference is formed, they could live with it or without it.

I could see any new league being put together with some sort of, at least, harsh short term financial penalty included. Something like a 3 year perpetually renewed GOR. If a new conference starts up with half the members looking for life boats, how much money could they reasonably expect from a TV deal.

Whoever accepts UConn will probably be demanding some sort of short term, or longer, guarantee that UConn will be sticking around. Not ideal from the UConn perspective, but it may be the cost of doing business.

I agree that UConn is in a difficult spot. I would not blame the Catholic 7 if they don't take Conn and Cincy (or Temple or USF, for that matter). Each of those teams has/will have a short-time attitude.

I think the best UConn can do at this point, is stick with USF, Cincy and Temple, and make the best out of the re-configured "national" conference for football. I'm not sure they can sustain the travel costs for other sports, however. THose four may need to strike up a relationship with some other teams for the olympic sports.

UCONN should go strict independent in football for a bit. Don't even worry about bowl tie-in's right now. Try and put together a big-time schedule play anybody and everybody and it doesn't matter where. If it means you gotta do 2-for-1 deals vs schools, so be it. Suck it up and do it. Get on national TV alot, a real lot by playing big-time competition over a 2 or 3 year time-span and hope a big conference then finds them interesting and enticing. Eventually getting an invitation to join. That's the plan of attack I would take. Better than joining CUSA and being lumped in with that loser group. If I'm UCONN I don't want CUSA's image/perception to rub off on me. Avoid that at all costs. Be snobby and act snobby even though you don't warrant being a snob! lol

Basketball they are screwed. Not being in a major conference will hurt them recruiting wise and it will make them "just another program" in quick time. That's the sport they gotta worry about the most actually.

Well, they could schedule OOC BB games with the seven sob sisters and ND, SU, Pitt, MD etc. couldn't they.

@McMurphyESPN

UConn President “(UConn) believes BIg East will continue to be strong & exciting conference comprised of highly-regarded nat’l universities”

@McMurphyESPN

UConn President “(UConn) believes BIg East will continue to be strong & exciting conference comprised of highly-regarded nat’l universities”
I mean what do you expect the UCONN president to say?! He has to say something along those lines even if he knows its false.

Well, they could schedule OOC BB games with the seven sob sisters and ND, SU, Pitt, MD etc. couldn't they.
1) Why would those schools want to schedule them? They don't need to. they are in legit conferences.
2) Why would any school like that in the northeast who is recruiting against Uconn want to help Uconn by giving them marquee games? Let them play nobodies and die and be an unattractive basketball program.

I mean what do you expect the UCONN president to say?! He has to say something along those lines even if he knows its false.

It's a She, so she really may not know any better.

Anyway, as a hybrid league, why can't the BE reload BB with some better teams from the A10? Maybe Butler, Richmond, etc would rather play with UConn, Memphis, Cincy, and Temple than the CYO crowd. I think it is the A10 that gets gored this in this round of realignment.

Honestly, UConn's best option right now is to stick with the Big National

It's a She, so she really may not know any better.

Anyway, as a hybrid league, why can't the BE reload BB with some better teams from the A10? Maybe Butler, Richmond, etc would rather play with UConn, Memphis, Cincy, and Temple than the CYO crowd. I think it is the A10 that gets gored this in this round of realignment.

Because the A10 will get poached by the Catholic7. Butler, Richmond et al have seen what happens to a hybrid, and they will not want to jump into that kettle.

Because the A10 will get poached by the Catholic7. Butler, Richmond et al have seen what happens to a hybrid, and they will not want to jump into that kettle.

The BE is hybrid, but the C7 is Catholic. The BE will be the lesser poison for some.

The BE is hybrid, but the C7 is Catholic. The BE will be the lesser poison for some.
There is no way that Butler and Xavier and those others will align with Cincy UConn USF and Temple.

UCONN should go strict independent in football for a bit. Don't even worry about bowl tie-in's right now. Try and put together a big-time schedule play anybody and everybody and it doesn't matter where. If it means you gotta do 2-for-1 deals vs schools, so be it. Suck it up and do it. Get on national TV alot, a real lot by playing big-time competition over a 2 or 3 year time-span and hope a big conference then finds them interesting and enticing. Eventually getting an invitation to join. That's the plan of attack I would take. Better than joining CUSA and being lumped in with that loser group. If I'm UCONN I don't want CUSA's image/perception to rub off on me. Avoid that at all costs. Be snobby and act snobby even though you don't warrant being a snob! lol

I can't imagine trying to sell this to recruits. Seems to me that over the 2-3 year time span, you would be looking at a 3-9 program with no prospects at all. Also, who would take a coaching position there?

Here is a thought

UConn and Cincy "pinkie swear" to be BGFF and join the CYO in all voting to disband the league. They join the CYO and make their FB indy. They can surely each get yearly games with BYU. They ought to get home and home's with several MAC teams a year. Maybe they approach the ACC about 3-4 games a year. Fill out the rest with whomever. Sell their home games to whatever league picks up the CYO. The understanding with the CYO is they get favorable terms if they get Big 5 invites.

Here is a thought

UConn and Cincy "pinkie swear" to be BGFF and join the CYO in all voting to disband the league. They join the CYO and make their FB indy. They can surely each get yearly games with BYU. They ought to get home and home's with several MAC teams a year. Maybe they approach the ACC about 3-4 games a year. Fill out the rest with whomever. Sell their home games to whatever league picks up the CYO. The understanding with the CYO is they get favorable terms if they get Big 5 invites.
Makes some sense, except for the idea about 3-4 games a year with the ACC. I don't think many ACC teams would do that - nothing to be gained and everything to lose (unless they were desperate for a game - a situation we know a little about).

There is no way that Butler and Xavier and those others will align with Cincy UConn USF and Temple.

I figure Xavier and St Louis go with the C7. Dayton and Duquesne are also good possibilities. The BE might pick off Charlotte, VCU, GWU, UMass and Rhode Island. I don't know what Butler does at that point, but seems like they might prefer the BE.

Here is a thought

Heres another thought...

Heres another thought...

I have been dying to know your opinion on UConn. You keep everything about them so close to the vest. Sometimes my good friend, you have to take a stand. Please explain.

I have been dying to know your opinion on UConn. You keep everything about them so close to the vest. Sometimes my good friend, you have to take a stand. Please explain.

I just dont know how anyone can actually on purpose follow that pathetic sham of a university. I hope they crash and burn in hell.

I just dont know how anyone can actually on purpose follow that pathetic sham of a university. I hope they crash and burn in hell.
I will tell you what is pathetic. That I can't get a straight answer from you about your feelings on UConn. Get off the fence!

Here is a thought

If formally disbanding the conference would render any outstanding exit fees moot, they could also approach the recently-departed schools (SU, Pitt, WVU, RU, Louisville) and "suggest" they are considering this if only they can find opponents to schedule against for a few years until things settle out. Although it's somewhat of a bluff since it might happen anyway, I could see some of these schools throwing a H-H or 2-2 their way to facilitate getting out of multimillion dollar payments without a lengthy legal battle.

@McMurphyESPN

Wrong use of the word "comprised". Pet peeve of mine. The UConn prez should know better tsk tsk

Simplest solution - UConn should drop football or go Indy and join the C7. They only have an FBS program because of welfare handouts from the original football playing members. Time for them to remember their place. They had a good run. I remember when the Big East first suggested the possibility of adding UConn as a replacement for Miami and VTech. My first thought was, "what is this crap?"

Simplest solution - UConn should drop football or go Indy and join the C7. They only have an FBS program because of welfare handouts from the original football playing members. Time for them to remember their place. They had a good run. I remember when the Big East first suggested the possibility of adding UConn as a replacement for Miami and VTech. My first thought was, "what is this crap?"

They still have some substantial bills to pay on the stadium and facilities they've built. Folding up shop isn't the most practical of solutions.

Not sure what football independence would do for them - they don't have the national following of a ND, BYU, or the service academies.

I think they're stuck with the Big All Over the World conference for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom