McCord/offense | Syracusefan.com

McCord/offense

DomeHolmes

Walk On
Have not seen this discussed yet. Kyle McCord now leads the NATION in passing yardage per game and is 2nd in touchdowns per game.

We are also 9th nationally in third down conversions, and 7th in long scrimmage plays per game. That last stat surprised because I still would not consider us an “explosive“ offense, just a very good one, but the numbers say otherwise, and I think there’s still a lot more meat on the bone..

This is why Vegas does not expect UNLV to destroy us.

Despite this, we are only 40th in scoring. We have not scored as well as we’ve played offensively, and if we can put together 4 Quarters for the first time this year, the UNLV game will not be close. We are the only ones who can stop ourselves in that game.

Also two sneaky defensive stats. We are second defensively in the ACC in touchdown percentage in the red zone (36%). and we are 4th in third down conversions allowed (30%). These are the kind of stats that keep you in games even if your offense is not having a great day.

and these numbers also say we’re doing a good job protecting the QB.
2.75 sacks per game is what we’re giving up which does not seem that bad, (but that is still next to last I believe in the ACC). I think the reason it doesn’t look that bad is because we’re 9th in the nation in first downs so we are overcoming the sacks. (As further proof, we only punt 3 times per game). McCord sometimes holds the ball too long in the pocket. So our high sack number is partially a reflection of our offensive line but at least once per game, McCord has taken a sack after holding the ball too long in a fairly clean pocket.

2.75 sacks per game is what we’re giving up which does not seem that bad, (but that is still next to last I believe in the ACC). I think the reason it doesn’t look that bad is because we’re 9th in the nation in first downs so we are overcoming the sacks. (As further proof, we only punt 3 times per game). McCord sometimes holds the ball too long in the pocket. So our high sack number is partially a reflection of our offensive line but at least once per game, McCord has taken a sack after holding the ball too long in a fairly clean pocket.

that’s on 191 attempts so I guess 1 sack for every 17 attempts? I don’t know how many times we dropped back and were flushed out for a rushing attempt. Also Johnson was sacked twice with the backup OL so it’s really only 9 sacks with McCord; which changes the rate to 1 sack for every 22 attempts.

he‘s held the ball a little long at times because the routes are so long. A shorter quick game and the numbers would change.

We threw the ball 50 times. More passing leads to more sacks.

(Edit: actually 53x?)

Last edited:
He holds it because he waits for guys to get to spots he can throw. When you want to throw to OG and he is read 1 and is seldom open everything feeds off of that.

It would be nice if a couple times a game the D just blows coverages just to make life a little easier.

that’s on 191 attempts so I guess 1 sack for every 17 attempts? I don’t know how many times we dropped back and were flushed out for a rushing attempt. Also Johnson was sacked twice with the backup OL so it’s really only 9 sacks with McCord; which changes the rate to 1 sack for every 22 attempts.

he‘s held the ball a little long at times because the routes are so long. A shorter quick game and the numbers would change.
Good points, in addition, he ran to the sidelines once last game that was a one yard loss, and counts as a sack, but not really a “sack“.

Have not seen this discussed yet. Kyle McCord now leads the NATION in passing yardage per game and is 2nd in touchdowns per game.

We are also 9th nationally in third down conversions, and 7th in long scrimmage plays per game. That last stat surprised because I still would not consider us an “explosive“ offense, just a very good one, but the numbers say otherwise, and I think there’s still a lot more meat on the bone..

This is why Vegas does not expect UNLV to destroy us.

Despite this, we are only 40th in scoring. We have not scored as well as we’ve played offensively, and if we can put together 4 Quarters for the first time this year, the UNLV game will not be close. We are the only ones who can stop ourselves in that game.

Also two sneaky defensive stats. We are second defensively in the ACC in touchdown percentage in the red zone (36%). and we are 4th in third down conversions allowed (30%). These are the kind of stats that keep you in games even if your offense is not having a great day.
Also 4th best in the conference in long plays allowed. They are improving in total defense, 443 to 378 to 351 to 203. The defense is good enough to win.

If the running game could get to 150 net, this team is winning 8 or 9 games if everything else stays the same. If they could get to 180, they would be sitting on one loss going into the Miami game.

Completely agree about points lagging yds. The only time that hasn’t happened here is 2018.

The sacks are some of the things you point out but also volume of passes called, it’s 50 a game when you add in Qb runs that are either sacks or scrambles, the amount of minimum protection/5 in the pattern calls, and the lack of quick game the last two weeks.

Still think they need to protect better, cleaner pocket for a little bit longer.

We threw the ball 50 times. More passing leads to more sacks.
Definitely. That’s why I said it does not look too bad. Really, it only seems to be right tackles I am most concerned with as far as pass protection. Running game more of a mixed bag.

The sacks are some of the things you point out but also volume of passes called, it’s 50 a game when you add in Qb runs that are either sacks or scrambles, the amount of minimum protection/5 in the pattern calls, and the lack of quick game the last two weeks.

Still think they need to protect better, cleaner pocket for a little bit longer.
Good point about minimum protection . I’ve been OK with most of the sacks he’s taking because he’s proven that he will stand in the pocket till the last minute to make a throw If it comes open late.

Last edited:
One more crazy stat about our first down ranking of #9 (before I go do something productive today)

We are dead LAST in the country in first downs gained from opponents penalties. (and yards gained overall from penalties) . We have exactly 1 first down as a result of penalties in four games. In contrast, the leader in the nation, Nebraska, has 20!

we are not getting any help. We are actually 6th nationally in first downs gained without benefit of penalty..

One more crazy stat about our first down ranking of #9 (before I go do something productive today)

We are dead LAST in the country in first downs gained from opponents penalties. (and yards gained overall from penalties) . We have exactly 1 first down as a result of penalties in four games. In contrast, the leader in the nation, Nebraska, has 20!

we are not getting any help. We are actually 6th nationally in first downs gained without benefit of penalty..
Yep not getting many short fields, turnovers, And they are getting a lot of 10 plus plays but no easy scores from deep.

With Hatchers hit/miss tendencies, getting Yazeed back this week would go a long way.

Haynes' speed, Meeks' reliability, Pena versatility, OG - granted he comes back to form.

Will need it all to click for a Top 25 road win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom