McCullough to the NBA | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough to the NBA

Well, I hope.

Well, I don't he doesn't get drafted. But I sure hope he comes to the conclusion that staying one more year in college might be his better chance for getting into the NBA. The problem with the agents is they blow so much air up these kids skirts it seems like a sure thing.

why would an nba team give him a promise to draft him in the first round? are they that stupid? There are about 50 guys who have his upside with higher floors. He is being sold some swamp land by someone
Simple. Knee injuries are usually no big deal. Late 1st round pick don't often do much. He is projected to be a lottery pick next year. Take him with the 25th pick this year, and next year you are in the lottery, without tanking the season.

A few comments:

1) It is nearly impossible to work a part-time job as a D-1 athlete. With the demands on your time, you really aren't making much if anything money wise.

2) Most rookie contracts involve some type of money set aside for players to finish school. Obviously, he has to get that contract first, but it makes a lot of more sense to get money while you are athletic and able and then look to go back to school if your network can't find you a job post-career (be it 5 years from now or 20 years).

3) Having a kid complicates every decision. Typically, even for non-athletes, it involves a drastic restructuring, which depending on your socio-economic background, can include dropping out of school to get a job.

4) If McCullough is truly a top 5 pick potential, he will get much better by focusing on basketball every day (as well as the weight program he will be exposed to), as well as having access to the best doctors for his rehab. He will go late 1st to early 2nd on his potential.

If your future earnings can truly be had (if McCullough plays well and is selected top 5 next year), then he will be fine b/c he will reach that same potential in the league, but get to his 2nd contract earlier, where the real money is.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

Looks like they have him in the late first round.

Good for him. I hope it works out. It does us no good to wish him ill.

Obviously, we need to stop estimating players chances in the draft: we simply don't think like NBA general managers do. They are basically using the draft to recruit, much in the way college coaches do. It doesn't have to make any sense to us.

If Chris McCullough continues to carry the Syracuse torch throughout his career, then Syracuse University can benefit from that.

Whether or not you think Chris is or isn't going to make the NBA (I personally don't think he will) doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that he carries the torch. If he does, we should all root for him.

And Rakeem going mid-second round, the 43rd pick, to Phoenix. Couldn't be rooting any harder for him to make it in the NBA. And a top quality person to boot who will always represent Syracuse University well. Go Rok!!!

i wish i could like this 1,000,000 times......i am in Rakeem's corner forever

If Chris McCullough continues to carry the Syracuse torch throughout his career, then Syracuse University can benefit from that.

Whether or not you think Chris is or isn't going to make the NBA (I personally don't think he will) doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that he carries the torch. If he does, we should all root for him.

His time was so short here and inconsequential that even if he were to make it someday in the NBA, most will have to look up where he went to school. Oh, really, he went to Syracuse...I had no idea. :noidea:

For the love of god.

Make them stay 3 years least (like Baseball does if they choose to go to College)

If you're going to do that, then you have to allow them to go pro go out of high school, like baseball does. And if that's the case, guys like him wouldn't come to college at all.

If you're going to do that, then you have to allow them to go pro go out of high school, like baseball does. And if that's the case, guys like him wouldn't come to college at all.

I for one am fine with that. At least the kids that do not think they are ready for the NBA straight out of highschool will need to stay in college for 3 years. Anything that eliminates a kid jumping ship as soon as someone tells them they are a potential first round pick because of the half way decent numbers they managed as a freshman or sophomore that placed them on the right trajectory on the 'ol extrapolation graph.

I for one am fine with that. At least the kids that do not think they are ready for the NBA straight out of highschool will need to stay in college for 3 years. Anything that eliminates a kid jumping ship as soon as someone tells them they are a potential first round pick because of the half way decent numbers they managed as a freshman or sophomore that placed them on the right trajectory on the 'ol extrapolation graph.

Why not simply bring back the rule the NBA had until Spencer Haywood: that they won't draft a guy until his college class would graduate? Let guys go right to the pros if they don't want to go to college but if you do, you're there to get a degree so you don't get drafted until you would have obtained it. If you want to go to 3 years, why not 4?

Why not simply bring back the rule the NBA had until Spencer Haywood: that they won't draft a guy until his college class would graduate? Let guys go right to the pros if they don't want to go to college but if you do, you're there to get a degree so you don't get drafted until you would have obtained it. If you want to go to 3 years, why not 4?

My thought on this is that it isn't necessarily about the degree that matters to me, it is all about allowing a kid to grow and mature a bit before making the decision whether or not to stay in school or go pro.

Kids today are forced to go to college for at least one year, those that believe it is their destiny to play in the NBA never have any intention to stay in college long enough to get a degree. The one year rule in my view places a rather important decision in the hands of a young and impressionable person who has nothing whatsoever vested in an education.

At least a college junior would be a few more years older and would at that point have much more incentive to come back for one additional year to A) Improve their draft stock and B) Earn a degree that will be an insurance policy if a pro career does not pan out.

If a kid blows up in college and becomes an obvious lottery pick then why force the 4th year? I would hope such a 3 year rule though would keep those who are borderline draft picks to stay one additional year which at that point could benefit them both on and off the court.

So, I say 3 years to defer the decision making process which gives a kid a chance to mature and vests them more in there education.

See this makes sense. This is what I was driving at in the baseball draft thread.

My thought on this is that it isn't necessarily about the degree that matters to me, it is all about allowing a kid to grow and mature a bit before making the decision whether or not to stay in school or go pro.

Kids today are forced to go to college for at least one year, those that believe it is their destiny to play in the NBA never have any intention to stay in college long enough to get a degree. The one year rule in my view places a rather important decision in the hands of a young and impressionable person who has nothing whatsoever vested in an education.

At least a college junior would be a few more years older and would at that point have much more incentive to come back for one additional year to A) Improve their draft stock and B) Earn a degree that will be an insurance policy if a pro career does not pan out.

If a kid blows up in college and becomes an obvious lottery pick then why force the 4th year? I would hope such a 3 year rule though would keep those who are borderline draft picks to stay one additional year which at that point could benefit them both on and off the court.

So, I say 3 years to defer the decision making process which gives a kid a chance to mature and vests them more in there education.
Under this plan would you permit them to also from their own name and likeness?

Then why force a third year? Or a second year?

Then why force a third year? Or a second year?

Why is the drinking age 21 instead of 20 or 19? Why do you have to be 18 years old to vote and not 17? Why does someone need to be 16 to get a driver's learners permit and why do they need to have the permit for 180 days before they are eligible to get a license?

It's all somewhat arbitrary as to the exact age limit in all cases, you could argue why all day long.

Because you have to come up with a workable system that addresses the needs of all as best as possible but also places reasonable restrictions that provide some protections.

If a kid chooses to defer from the NBA draft out of high school, then they need to stay in school 3 years, which gives them time to work towards a degree and hone there game without distraction. It also provides the NBA 3 years to better evaluate a player before making decisions on who they draft.

I believe it is better for those kids who are borderline prospects who leave to early because of those who lurk in the shadows whispering in their ear to make the jump out of their own self-interests and not the best interests of the kid.

I believe it is a better system for the NBA because they will have older, more physically mature, NBA ready players to choose from.

Why is the three year rule not questioned in baseball but many argue it is so untenable for basketball?

Under this plan would you permit them to also from their own name and likeness?

Not even sure what this means, a missing word perhaps...

Should they get a cut of the jersey sales? Should they get a cut of the TV profits? What would you like to see, how about those kids who are not pro prospects, should the be getting something too?

Why not just scrap college athletics all together if it has come to the point.

Why is the drinking age 21 instead of 20 or 19? Why do you have to be 18 years old to vote and not 17? Why does someone need to be 16 to get a driver's learners permit and why do they need to have the permit for 180 days before they are eligible to get a license?

It's all somewhat arbitrary as to the exact age limit in all cases, you could argue why all day long.

Because you have to come up with a workable system that addresses the needs of all as best as possible but also places reasonable restrictions that provide some protections.

If a kid chooses to defer from the NBA draft out of high school, then they need to stay in school 3 years, which gives them time to work towards a degree and hone there game without distraction. It also provides the NBA 3 years to better evaluate a player before making decisions on who they draft.

I believe it is better for those kids who are borderline prospects who leave to early because of those who lurk in the shadows whispering in their ear to make the jump out of their own self-interests and not the best interests of the kid.

I believe it is a better system for the NBA because they will have older, more physically mature, NBA ready players to choose from.

Why is the three year rule not questioned in baseball but many argue it is so untenable for basketball?
I do question it in baseball. Unlike the other time frames you mentioned, 4 years for college is not arbitrary - they're called 4 year schools for a reason.

As for my other post, I left out the word profit. My bad. The world has changed. Anyone can become an overnight fascination. Amy Average Student ona theater scholarship can make a funny video of her friends, watch it blow up on Youtube, and profit from the celebrity. Joe Student Athlete though can make the game winning basket in the season opener and gets suspended if a card shop pays him some money to hang out for a few hours and sign autographs for fans. Why? It's ridiculous.

I do question it in baseball. Unlike the other time frames you mentioned, 4 years for college is not arbitrary - they're called 4 year schools for a reason.

As for my other post, I left out the word profit. My bad. The world has changed. Anyone can become an overnight fascination. Amy Average Student ona theater scholarship can make a funny video of her friends, watch it blow up on Youtube, and profit from the celebrity. Joe Student Athlete though can make the game winning basket in the season opener and gets suspended if a card shop pays him some money to hang out for a few hours and sign autographs for fans. Why? It's ridiculous.

I won't argue your point that college athletes should not be penalized for getting some extra cash signing autographs or for volunteering their time for a charity event. I think the NCAA is over the top wrong with a lot of their policies. What I referred to as arbitrary was any time frame for leaving college early for the NBA, should it be three years or two or one...

No matter what rules you set forth, someone will always question it. I think the baseball system is a good compromise, go pro out of high school if you wish and you can even decide to go to college if you do not sign with an agent and do not like where you were drafted. Defer from the draft and wait three years before you can enter it again.

It gives the kid some flexibility in decision making, doesn't make a complete mockery of the idea of the student athlete and it produces older, better skilled and physically developed draft stock for the pro leagues.

Forcing 4 years would never work, this at least this is a good compromise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom