MCW | Syracusefan.com

MCW

MCW - AA at year end?

• yes

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
So amazing! I feel like such a jerk for cursing when he leaves his feet to pass with no one to pass to. Don't think you can ask for much more out of him.

1) I expect his scoring to go up
2) I expect his assists and steals to to down
3) He could still very easily get AA honors

I feel he even seems to be deferring much more then he needs to. I'm expecting his scoring to increase as season goes on. He seems to be able to get into the lane at will. I love that runner he does. No guard in the country can stop that. I was calling for more PT last year, I can't wait to see a full season from this kid.

I want him to start knocking down some jumpers. Watching his play in HS and on the AAU circuit, he has shown he's a good shooter. His shot is very flat right now. So is Cooney's.

I want him to start knocking down some jumpers. Watching his play in HS and on the AAU circuit, he has shown he's a good shooter. His shot is very flat right now. So is Cooney's.
His shot looks very flat. Even from the ft line. With that shot I can't see how he was labeled and an elite shooter. Still if he shows he can knock down the 3 the kid will be virtually unstoppable.

If Michael stays four years, he will challenge every school career record held by Sherman. He's that good.

But he won't and he won't.

His shot looks very flat. Even from the ft line. With that shot I can't see how he was labeled and an elite shooter.

Good catch, something I haven't heard discussed. It looked alittle higher to me in high school.
Would like to see him get alittle more arc on his shot like Scoop.

I always felt Brandon shot a flatter ball from 3 last year. He tended to hit back iron alot. Thats what happens when you do. Then he squared up and shot it better from James Southerlands territory last game @ark. Maybe he should shoot the ball from that far out more often.

James on the other hand had a wicked high arc and toned it down this year and maybe that has been the key to his success. Now his shot is so light if it hits inside of the cylinder it just kisses the rim instead of bouncing 20 feet out.

Cooneys arc reminds me of Dions.

If Michael stays four years, he will challenge every school career record held by Sherman. He's that good.

He will be playing for the Magic at this time next year. They need a PG, and he is a good fit.

If he stayed at Syracuse for a couple more years, we would be blessed. But he's got to move on.

The play that stands out to me: he "slithered" into the lane for a floater, he got fouled (no call), missed the shot, recovered the rebound out of a crazy mass of arms (forwards and centers), then just calmly loops around, back into the lane, and takes the same shot. This time making it. That was a play that just gives the impression he's playing against little kids. People can't do things like that. Almost like he was toying with everybody.

The play that stands out to me: he "slithered" into the lane for a floater, he got fouled (no call), missed the shot, recovered the rebound out of a crazy mass of arms (forwards and centers), then just calmly loops around, back into the lane, and takes the same shot. This time making it. That was a play that just gives the impression he's playing against little kids. People can't do things like that. Almost like he was toying with everybody.

I agree. He can do what he wants at will on the court. The kid is special.

I feel he even seems to be deferring much more then he needs to. I'm expecting his scoring to increase as season goes on. He seems to be able to get into the lane at will. I love that runner he does. No guard in the country can stop that. I was calling for more PT last year, I can't wait to see a full season from this kid.

No, early in the season you have to establish the other guys, first. Mike can get a shot any time he wants to. That first game, he put up a bunch early in the game. But for us to be our best, we want him to get other guys involved early, to try to get them going. He'll get his in the flow of the game.

It's like how Kobe tries to use the 1st quarter to get his teammates involved in the offense before he starts to assert himself. Players are more likely to hit their shots later in the game if you've gotten them a couple good looks early, and they've knocked one or two down.

Technically speaking, he'd probably only have to stay 3 years to match Sherm, because Sherm barely played behind Pearl his freshman year. He played about as little as Mike did last year. And Mike is doing that well. He can really fill up the stat sheet.

Technically speaking, he'd probably only have to stay 3 years to match Sherm, because Sherm barely played behind Pearl his freshman year. He played about as little as Mike did last year. And Mike is doing that well. He can really fill up the stat sheet.
Well, I get your point, but when Sherm left he was the NCAA leader in career assists. He did that in 3 years plus how little he played as a frosh. Are you saying MCW would top that in 2 years plus how little he played last year? Because that's a pretty absurd suggestion, if so.

Peal and Sherm would like you to pump the brakes a little.

I know I picked a fight by saying MCW might be the best PG ever at Syracuse. However, I hate these discussions comparing players from 20 or 30 years ago to players from today. The game is very different and the option to jump early for talented players is ubiquitous, compared to 20 years ago. I mean no disrespect to Bing, DC1, Sherm, etc. but the game and NBA options are very different now.

Carmelo Anthony is the best player to ever wear the Syracuse uniform (Please don't argue this point). MCW has a similar type of freakish skills in a large body. A 6'6 point guard that has a pass first mentality but can get to the rim at will.....this is an NBA scouts wet dream! Williams is the team's leading rebounder and is leading the NCAA in assists! MCW is probably our next great talented Syracuse player at the NBA level. I think he has the ability to put the team on his shoulders this year and carry us to a Final Four. There is no one on the NCAA level that can guard him straight-up and slow him down (forget about stoping him). It will be a joy watching him this year but it will be the last season he wears Orange. I just hope he leaves with a championship ring!

His shot looks very flat. Even from the ft line. With that shot I can't see how he was labeled and an elite shooter. Still if he shows he can knock down the 3 the kid will be virtually unstoppable.
So was Jack "The Shot" Foleys and Kid Kohls.

I know I picked a fight by saying MCW might be the best PG ever at Syracuse. However, I hate these discussions comparing players from 20 or 30 years ago to players from today. The game is very different and the option to jump early for talented players is ubiquitous, compared to 20 years ago. I mean no disrespect to Bing, DC1, Sherm, etc. but the game and NBA options are very different now.

Carmelo Anthony is the best player to ever wear the Syracuse uniform (Please don't argue this point). MCW has a similar type of freakish skills in a large body. A 6'6 point guard that has a pass first mentality but can get to the rim at will.....this is an NBA scouts wet dream! Williams is the team's leading rebounder and is leading the NCAA in assists! MCW is probably our next great talented Syracuse player at the NBA level. I think he has the ability to put the team on his shoulders this year and carry us to a Final Four. There is no one on the NCAA level that can guard him straight-up and slow him down (forget about stoping him). It will be a joy watching him this year but it will be the last season he wears Orange. I just hope he leaves with a championship ring!

You didn't pick a fight by saying that (and you very well could be proven right) but to make that assessment after seeing only five games this year is a bit premature, in my opinion. You may think that he is an unstoppable force at the collegiate level, but we really don't know that yet.

As for your statement about Carmelo, I'll just say your point is indeed arguable. He may have had the greatest, most impactful single season of any Syracuse player, but one could make a strong case that several others were the "best player ever" here, depending on how how you choose to define "best ever.' But that's a topic for another thread.

Carmelo never had anything to taint his collegiate legacy it was perfect. One and done national championship game and played his best ball in the final four. He had the perfect season and you can't really compare him to other 3-4 year players.

You didn't pick a fight by saying that (and you very well could be proven right) but to make that assessment after seeing only five games this year is a bit premature, in my opinion. You may think that he is an unstoppable force at the collegiate level, but we really don't know that yet.

As for your statement about Carmelo, I'll just say your point is indeed arguable. He may have had the greatest, most impactful single season of any Syracuse player, but one could make a strong case that several others were the "best player ever" here, depending on how how you choose to define "best ever.' But that's a topic for another thread.

To quote the immortal JAB "Nothing premature is ever good". I will try to curb my enthusiasm until league play starts. I liked what little I saw from MCW last year and I love him through the first 5 games! This kid is special.

If you have ESPN Insider, Bilas/Ford have an article about college talent. MCW listed as the prospect on the rise, great article. Love Jay Bilas.

Here's an excerpt:

Prospect on the rise

Bilas: Michael Carter-Williams, G, Syracuse Orange
Carter-Williams once went to a basketball camp and was given an evaluation that he was a mid-major player. He kept that evaluation over his bed as motivation. Clearly, Carter-Williams is no mid-major talent. Rather, he is a major talent that can someday be an NBA pro.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...las-chad-ford-which-nation-most-talented-team

Maybe the best PG ever at Syracuse!
Really? We are the school of Dave Bing, Pearl Washington and Sherman Douglas. I think that is the greatest hyperbole ever.

Really? We are the school of Dave Bing, Pearl Washington and Sherman Douglas. I think that is the greatest hyperbole ever.

I actually think your hyperbole about my hyperbole being the greatest ever is greater than my original hyperbole about MCW being the greatest PG ever at SU. Therefore I am declaring a technical disqualification and declaring this discussion of competing hyperboles to be a draw. :)

I really like MCW's game but mean absolutely no disrespect to Bing, Pearl and Sherm. I would also put Jason Hart on the short list of great SU point guards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom