Meaningless Crap that doesn't prove a thing | Syracusefan.com

Meaningless Crap that doesn't prove a thing

GoSU96

Living Legend
Babers should be embarrassed.
upload_2017-11-5_9-8-15.png

This chart just proves its time to root for Rutgers. We are regressing and should pack it in

At what point are people going to understand the additional plays due to pace make total yards an almost meaningless measurement. Total offense is an 80's statistic that has run it's course since pace was introduced to college football.

Look at yards per play or points per possession if you wanna compare different years of offense. Then it's at least a fair comparison.

Yes he and his staff are clearly clueless and OC can’t call plays at the P5 level.. we need a change... I need wins so I can feel good about myself
Bring back Marrone!

At what point are people going to understand the additional plays due to pace make total yards an almost meaningless measurement. Total offense is an 80's statistic that has run it's course since pace was introduced to college football.

Look at yards per play or points per possession if you wanna compare different years of offense. Then it's at least a fair comparison.

I agree it's a better comparison.

Ultimately what matters is points scored. It doesn't matter if you go up and down the field racking up total yards, etc. if you're unable to punch the ball into the end zone. Last Sunday night the Lions had nearly 600 yards of total offense against the Steelers but were unable to get even one TD. The result...a big fat L. Our red zone offense has been quite poor this year and has been a major factor in our losses. The opposing team smiles and happily takes that "bend but don't break" position as they come away with the W.

I almost completely agree w/ this post. I think that yards per possession is more meaningful, but I otherwise agree.

I agree it's a better comparison.

Ultimately what matters is points scored. It doesn't matter if you go up and down the field racking up total yards, etc. if you're unable to punch the ball into the end zone. Last Sunday night the Lions had nearly 600 yards of total offense against the Steelers but were unable to get even one TD. The result...a big fat L. Our red zone offense has been quite poor this year and has been a major factor in our losses. The opposing team smiles and happily takes that "bend but don't break" position as they come away with the W.
I'll caveat that yards do matter on offense to the extent that they give the defense a longer field to work with if the offense doesn't score. Long drives also let the defense rest.

It's a macro comparison and total offense and total defense rankings when combined has a very strong correlation to season long performance and overall capability to the team in total.

And the comparison between 2015 and this year obviously shows how much Babers has improved performance compared to recent past performance and relative to the conference.

He's looking at both offense and defense, which makes your pace point less relevant. If you're getting a lot of yards simply due to pace, so will your opponents.

We get free yards by being less dumb about 4th down generally (but not yesterday)

Last edited:
Reason for optimism. I took a look at this a couple years back and when I have the time I'll update the last couple of years.

Right now SU is 27th in total offense and 38th in total defense for a combined total rank value of 65, which I guess would be top 30

Over the 2012 and 2013 seasons, 51 teams finished with a combined ranking of total offense ranking and total defense of 80 or less.

Of those 51 teams:

32 finished with 10 or more wins,

5 with 9,

11 with 8,

3 with 7.

To finish with a losing record being top 40 in both offense and defense would be astounding.

meaningless crap that does matter . home attendance numbers.

Reason for optimism. I took a look at this a couple years back and when I have the time I'll update the last couple of years.

Right now SU is 27th in total offense and 38th in total defense for a combined total rank value of 65, which I guess would be top 30

Over the 2012 and 2013 seasons, 51 teams finished with a combined ranking of total offense ranking and total defense of 80 or less.

Of those 51 teams:

5 with 9,

11 with 8,

3 with 7.

To finish with a losing record being top 40 in both offense and defense would be astounding.
they're 40th in SRS too. it's an adjustment for all of us to deal with this new schedule. this team would've had a great record against some of the schedules a while back.

this team is pretty good and it's only going to get better

Of those 51 teams:

5 with 9,

11 with 8,

3 with 7.

Updated through the 2016 season.

126 have finished the year with a combined value for total offense ranking and total defense ranking of 80 or less.

74 finished with 10 or more wins.
19 with 9 wins
21 with 8 wins
10 win 7 wins
6 with 6 wins ( Pitt and Miami in 2014).

SU right now sits at a combined rank value of 65 (28th total offense, 37th total defense) which is 19th best in the country.

Assuming key players aren't out there's no reason to think those rankings should drop significantly the rest of the way, in particular on offense. So if that assumption holds then 6 wins should be the lowest expectation less than that would be an incredibly low win total.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom