Meanwhile, over on the Providence board... | Syracusefan.com

Meanwhile, over on the Providence board...

ConnectiCuse

Scout Team
Bwahahahaha!!!

Posted: Yesterday 8:30 PM
At this point...it is what it is. So, here is my conference:

PC
Georgetown
St Johns
Seton Hall
Villanova
St Joe's
Xavier
Dayton
Marquette
DePaul
Creighton
St Louis
St Bonaventure
Dusquene

This is an above average conference in my opinion. This conference would exist for a long time.

Well its certainly above average. Probably would be the best non-BCS conference. 4 bids a year.

Of course, that assumes, say, Villanova, can recruit as if they were still in the former awesome Big East, which is questionable.

I've read a bunch of the stuff there and its pretty amazing what the level of disconnect is. Seems that they are having a hard time understanding what is actually happening. A couple posts here and there get it but that is it.

Well its certainly above average. Probably would be the best non-BCS conference. 4 bids a year.

Of course, that assumes, say, Villanova, can recruit as if they were still in the former awesome Big East, which is questionable.

Bids for what? Eventually the NCAA will either be a slave to the 4x16 64 team group that controls all the fball and bball TV money or they will be the minor leagues.

What would happen if Notre Dame joined a new league made of Catholic universities in basketball and other sports? Wonder if that be feasible for them to then stay independent and still flourish? Call it the "Big Cat" ;)
Good basketball league some in or near very major cities too.

West Division
Gonzaga
Loyola Marymont
Marquette
Notre Dame
St Louis
Santa Clara
St Mary's
Univ of San Diego
Univ of San Francisco
Creighton

East
Villanova
Dayton
Xavier
Providence
Georgetown
St John's
Seton Hall
Siena
Duquesne

Bwahahahaha!!!

Posted: Yesterday 8:30 PM
At this point...it is what it is. So, here is my conference:

PC
Georgetown
St Johns
Seton Hall
Villanova
St Joe's
Xavier
Dayton
Marquette
DePaul
Creighton
St Louis
St Bonaventure
Dusquene

This is an above average conference in my opinion. This conference would exist for a long time.

So Cuse announces it's deal to leave on the day that the man gave the University everything it has from a basketball standpoint passes away and you are laughing at the misfortune of one of the founding members? You are a douche!

So Cuse announces it's deal to leave on the day that the man gave the University everything it has from a basketball standpoint passes away and you are laughing at the misfortune of one of the founding members? You are a douche!

Jim Boeheim didn't die.

Boeheim, the long-time coach at Syracuse, said Gavitt was "the only one" who could've led the formation of the Big East back in 1979. He summed up Gavitt's impact on his Hall of Fame career. "He's responsible for everything that's happened to me and to all of us," he said, referring to Big East coaches. "There would be no (national) championship, no Hall of Fame, none of it."

Boeheim, the long-time coach at Syracuse, said Gavitt was "the only one" who could've led the formation of the Big East back in 1979. He summed up Gavitt's impact on his Hall of Fame career. "He's responsible for everything that's happened to me and to all of us," he said, referring to Big East coaches. "There would be no (national) championship, no Hall of Fame, none of it."

It's a eulogy, what's he supposed to say.

What's pathetic is Providence (PROVIDENCE!?) having the nerve to pass judgement on SU's actions.

I'm not passing judgement, I'm taking offense to somebody laughing at our predicament. No need to be a .

Also, JB really doesn't mean it? Height of arrogance, have a great 27 months.

Your boy Tranghese seemed to have no problem trashing SU and Pitt and our football programs. the PC fans on your board seemed to echo those thoughts. It's pretty obvious you don't need us or Pitt or UConn/Rutgers/WVU to keep playing big time basketball.

I understand the anger because I lived through 2003, but the attitude of our former commissioner in that interview absolutely proves that he had nothing but disdain for the football schools, including Syracuse. If this was the attitude of our former commissioner, why the hell would any football schools want to be involved in this mess of a conference?

FriarJ Mr. Gavitt RIP passed away on Friday night it wasn't announced till Saturday. Second, loyalty is a two way street this Frankenstein conference has schools with two separate agendas there is no loyalty. Mr. Gavitt put the Big East together in 1979 he never envisioned a bloated 16 team conference. While the Big East was great in 1980s college football pushes the bus now and if you think SU was going to be left behind in the landscape of college athletics so it could continue its relationship Villanova, St.John's, Seton Hall, Providence, Georgetown, UConn then you are not being realistic. SU has given a lot to the Big East and did nothing no other Big East school wouldn't have d0ne.

I'd be pissed too if I found out that the football schools will no longer be cutting my welfare checks, and I have to go out into the unknown, dangerous world to fend for myself.

Good luck in your future endeavors, bball onlies. If Nova, Providence, and GTOWN can still competitively recruit against Syracuse and Pitt in 5 years, I would be incredibly surprised.

Your boy Tranghese seemed to have no problem trashing SU and Pitt and our football programs. the PC fans on your board seemed to echo those thoughts. It's pretty obvious you don't need us or Pitt or UConn/Rutgers/WVU to keep playing big time basketball.

I understand the anger because I lived through 2003, but the attitude of our former commissioner in that interview absolutely proves that he had nothing but disdain for the football schools, including Syracuse. If this was the attitude of our former commissioner, why the hell would any football schools want to be involved in this mess of a conference?

Once again, good for you. Cuse was looking out for themselves, they have been trying to leave for years and they finally accomplished it. Best of luck, not my point. If you don't get where I'm coming from as a respect issue, then I don't know what to tell you.

I'd be pissed too if I found out that the football schools will no longer be cutting my welfare checks, and I have to go out into the unknown, dangerous world to fend for myself.

Good luck in your future endeavors, bball onlies. If Nova, Providence, and GTOWN can still competitively recruit against Syracuse and Pitt in 5 years, I would be incredibly surprised.

Or when all those recruits in NYC figure out that their friends and family will have to travel to the ends of the earth to see them play, who knows. It will be fun to find out, and I agree the football teams need to take their football and go. BB schools need to do there own thing as well. It's been a great run but it's over for everybody now. Time will tell how it works out.

Here is one thought, it can't get much worse for us, we have not done anything for a long time. Nova and Georgetown may have some troubles. Now Cuse, can it get better, top seeds, MSG, NC's? We will see. Seems to me there is only one direction other than staying the same.

Or when all those recruits in NYC figure out that their friends and family will have to travel to the ends of the earth to see them play, who knows. It will be fun to find out, and I agree the football teams need to take their football and go. BB schools need to do there own thing as well. It's been a great run but it's over for everybody now. Time will tell how it works out.

Here is one thought, it can't get much worse for us, we have not done anything for a long time. Nova and Georgetown may have some troubles. Now Cuse, can it get better, top seeds, MSG, NC's? We will see. Seems to me there is only one direction other than staying the same.

Cuse has played non-St. John's MSG games during the regular season every year since 2005 (with the exception 09). You see when you are good at basketball ESPN asks you to play in the Jimmy V Classic which I believe you guys played recently (maybe 2004). SU has played in the CvC. tournament 3 times, Jimmy V Classic 2 times, and Pre-Season NIT 2 times. Trust me SU will play in MSG regularly in the ACC Duke plays a game there every year its easily done for us as well. How is traveling to UVA, UMD, Miami, Clemson, NC State any different than flying to Milwaukee, Chicago, Tampa, South Bend. ACC will have teams in Boston, Pittsburgh, College Park (possibly Storrs, and New Brunswick), recruits families will have plenty of road games their families could make. I mean the travel argument is a joke when the Big East stretches from Chicago to Tampa. Recruiting for SU will be fine we recruit Washington/Balitmore real hard and instead of Georgetown we will play Maryland no difference for recruits.

We'll still play at least 2 games a year in MSG. The ACC Tournament will be played at MSG at some point. We had a couple lean years in the 90s and early 2000's and the two NIT years in a row that could have been 3 without our miracle run in 06, so I don't think anyone here thinks we're immune to having some bad years. But bad for us is still 20+ wins. If UConn is invited to the ACC I don't expect any drop off. We'll be able to sell our recruits on the Garden, UConn, Duke, UNC, the Carrier Dome, etc. Of course who knows what's going to happen when JB retires, but that's something we're going to have to face eventually no matter what conference we're in.

I think all of us SU fans loved the BE Basketball Conference and we'll miss it. It was the football side that had us up a tree. We did what we had to do.

Most of us don't feel good about the BB teams that we left behind...including Providence (except Rutgers..who remains behind I hope). Never had anything against the Friars. Just the BE administrators who refused, or were unable, to do anything about the problems with the football conference. They happened to be headquartered in Providence. Not something we can blame you for.

At this point it's kind of dumb to get into some kind of an insult war.

Actually, we don't recruit NYC that much anymore. We've recruited the Philly/Baltimore/DC area a lot more over the past decade. I think the last recruit we got out of NYC was Louie McCroskey in 2004.

For what it is worth, I am in many ways sorry to leave the Big East. Really enjoyed all the rivalries, all the great games, the trip to MSG for the BET was always special and I know things will never be quite the same in the ACC. And I was very sorry to read of the passing of Dave Gavitt, who may have done more for Eastern basketball than anyone...even JAB.

I wish Providence and the rest of the league members we are leaving much success and stability. If I were you guys, I would investigate Cherie's Big Cat proposal. It sounds purrrfect for you guys.

Actually, we don't recruit NYC that much anymore. We've recruited the Philly/Baltimore/DC area a lot more over the past decade. I think the last recruit we got out of NYC was Louie McCroskey in 2004.
Southerland is from Queens and Mookie is from Westchester so we haven't stopped recruiting NYC.

I don't understand your attitude. We all agree that we'll miss the old Big East conference but if leadership prevailed you and the other Basketball onlies could really make great lemonade out of lemons. You could form a nationwide Catholic university basketball league that would be excellent. You'd be self-sufficient and an extremely competitive league and wouldn't have to ever think or worry about other programs more complicated issues regarding football, the BCS etc. Other than missing the great competition, fun with the rivalries and Big East tournament etc that we've all enjoyed throughout the years the basketball only schools are in a much better position than West Virginia, Cincinnati, USF, Louisville etc that have to worry about their football lives just as much as their basketball futures. It just takes leadership and long-term vision and being proactive instead of reactive. Wishing all the remaining schools always the best, for me they will always will be special and programs whose futures I'll always have an interest in.

re Dave Gavitt's passing on Friday, and the move to the ACC coming on Saturday, it's like The Godfather II when Michael wouldn't let them whack Fredo until after his mother passed away.

I like reading the speculation on what a hoops-only league could look like, however I don't get some of these proposals. Why make another monstrosity, or dip into an inferior pool of teams? Gtown, John's, Nova, PC, Seton Hall and Marquette would be wise to stick together, add Xavier and Butler and two others to get to ten, the perfect size for a basketball conference. Notre Dame would be a strong option if they choose to remain independent after all the dust settles. Gonzaga sounds nice in theory but are they a realistic addition? DePaul would want in, but do the others want them after the horrendous showing they've put on as a Big East member? There are a number of other possibilities but at most there should be no need to add more than two other teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom