Media Day | Syracusefan.com

Media Day

No questions yet about the schedule and lack of opponents compared to the rest of the ACC. Local media not exactly lighting it up.

I think Desko wants 22 to be elite again. I loved Jo Jo but he was borderline Elite. Jammer won us a Natty, but he was not even close to elite as a field player. And we all know how the last 22 faired. Until a guy hits 70 points at attack in a season or 50 at middy, leave it on the shelf. Give it to them the year after. 22 should be only for first team all Americans. IMO it’s not for the heart and soul guy who doesn’t score it’s for the guy who puts the pebble behind the goalie.
Side Note: I love Porter I think he should have started last year.

Personally would like someone to ask Desko about the recruiting losses that occurred recently, guessing that won't happen though.

Understand the criticism about lacrosse media, but compared to other schools, I think SU has it pretty good. They cover media day pretty closely.

The team is streaming clips from Media Day on instagram, but I think you need an account to view them.

Think the less is said about 22 the better. When the time is right they'll give it to someone. Is it the end of the program that someone hasn't earned it? No. Let's move on.

I thought it was interesting that when Desko was asked about the attack he spoke about Owen Seebold before Griffin Cook. Wonder if that means Seebold really impressed the coaches in the fall, or if Desko is just trying to temper expectations for Cook as a freshman. Or if it means absolutely nothing. He did make special note of Cook's ability to play the left and right sides.

I thought it was interesting that when Desko was asked about the attack he spoke about Owen Seebold before Griffin Cook. Wonder if that means Seebold really impressed the coaches in the fall, or if Desko is just trying to temper expectations for Cook as a freshman. Or if it means absolutely nothing. He did make special note of Cook's ability to play the left and right sides.
In limited time last season I was impressed with Seebold's dodging ability particularly from the goal line extended. The only thing he didn't do was finish hence the donuts on the stats sheet.

I'm curious to know about Jared Fernandez's recovery and time table to return. Bar the Adrian Peterson's of the world, rule of thumb is a player returns to their "natural/physical/psychological" ability in the second year recovering from an ACL. Brett Kennedy could be a good example and whenever I think of Kennedy I worry about injuries in the back of my mind.

I think Desko wants 22 to be elite again. I loved Jo Jo but he was borderline Elite. Jammer won us a Natty, but he was not even close to elite as a field player. And we all know how the last 22 faired. Until a guy hits 70 points at attack in a season or 50 at middy, leave it on the shelf. Give it to them the year after. 22 should be only for first team all Americans. IMO it’s not for the heart and soul guy who doesn’t score it’s for the guy who puts the pebble behind the goalie.
Side Note: I love Porter I think he should have started last year.

Jamison "not even close" to elite as a field player? Strongly disagree with that statement dude. Marasco was also full on in the elite category with no borderline. Marasco lead the team in points on years when we were stacked with talent. Jamison in his one full year was second in points, again on a stacked team. If he had more time on the team I guarantee he would be in peoples top 10 all time lists. He is an insane talent and it's not just limited to the box game, where he is literally one of the best players. Both were more than deserving of 22. If they were on the team now they would be our best offensive players by far.

Jamison "not even close" to elite as a field player? Strongly disagree with that statement dude. Marasco was also full on in the elite category with no borderline. Marasco lead the team in points on years when we were stacked with talent. Jamison in his one full year was second in points, again on a stacked team. If he had more time on the team I guarantee he would be in peoples top 10 all time lists. He is an insane talent and it's not just limited to the box game, where he is literally one of the best players. Both were more than deserving of 22. If they were on the team now they would be our best offensive players by far.

I think you maybe confusion Marasco's Sr year with his overall career here. He was pretty underwhelming as a top recruit/player until his Senior year when he busted out with an outstanding Senior Year. He led the team that year in pts for sure and I would think probably goals to but that was only his Sr year.

* Quick Edit - I did go back and double check and JoJo was tied for 1st in his Soph year in pts with Keogh at 41. He was way down the following year though when he finished 4th on the team.

In limited time last season I was impressed with Seebold's dodging ability particularly from the goal line extended. The only thing he didn't do was finish hence the donuts on the stats sheet.

Desko did say Seebold was probably the best dodging attackman

I think you maybe confusion Marasco's Sr year with his overall career here. He was pretty underwhelming as a top recruit/player until his Senior year when he busted out with an outstanding Senior Year. He led the team that year in pts for sure and I would think probably goals to but that was only his Sr year.

Lead the team in points as a sophomore as well (tied with Keough). Junior season he struggled with injuries/it was a bad year for the team in general with the 2011 class graduating. Most definitely an elite player. But I don't want to get into it anymore and derail the thread.

Lead the team in points as a sophomore as well (tied with Keough). Junior season he struggled with injuries/it was a bad year for the team in general with the 2011 class graduating. Most definitely an elite player. But I don't want to get into it anymore and derail the thread.

Yes your right I corrected that in my original post. I think its clear he was a very good player but I would hesitate to use the word elite save for his Sr year when he had 66 pts. Elite at least to me puts you in the realm of Mike Powell, Rambo, Spencer, Cannizarro, Rabil, the kid from Yale who just graduated etc. JoJo while a good player never reached those heights except briefly his final season.

Personally would like someone to ask Desko about the recruiting losses that occurred recently, guessing that won't happen though.

Understand the criticism about lacrosse media, but compared to other schools, I think SU has it pretty good. They cover media day pretty closely.

The team is streaming clips from Media Day on instagram, but I think you need an account to view them.

Think the less is said about 22 the better. When the time is right they'll give it to someone. Is it the end of the program that someone hasn't earned it? No. Let's move on.
How can one call oneself a reporter and never ask about all the elephants in the room? For example, please describe in detail your approach to recruiting. What system? Did the loss of four or five attack men within two month period effect your approach? If so, how? Parity? SU plays the same teams every year. Why moan about parity.? Don't get me started.

Cody Jamison scored 42 points at attack... you can’t possibly call that elite. In 2017 Jordan Evans scored 44. Your essentially saying Jordan Evans is also elite if you call a 42 point season elite. I want to make this very clear Cody Jamieson is an elite lacrosse player indoor, outdoor he is elite. However he was absolutely not elite for Syracuse. He scored less than half the points of Kevin rice who never got the chance to wear 22. Jo Jo was tremendous his senior year and I could agree he was elite that one year. But my criteria is first team all American. He obtained that once so he deserved to wear it his senior year only. I agree with Jeremycuse 100% elite puts you in a different category. A legendary category. You said if jammer was there longer he would have been top 10... that’s premise isn’t necessary because he had a full senior year and put up 42 points. The proof is in the stats he didn’t deserve the 22. Jo jo did his senior year. All that said love your posts, we do disagree on this one but we both love Cuse and that’s all that matter right ha ha.

Media day is about the 2019 team prospects and players at hand and felt the questions were most appropriate given that context. Another day to ask other questions not directly pertaining to upcoming season.

Hoped for some questions about ssdm plans and fogo backups for 2019 but sure they will follow in subsequent Q and A's. Desko is certainly a mature statesman , found his comments and answers to be straightforward and somewhat revealing.

Staff is comfortable with starting attack group and it's likely Seebold and Cook see minutes which will be beneficial to their preparation for bigger roles in 2020. Cook received good reviews in fall but encouraging to also hear about Seebold abilities . Five man rotation is deep enough and allows other young attackman to develop at a measured pace without being rushed into action. Implied that more young mids beyond the known starters are groomed to contribute without specific names . No urgency expressed with Dordevic but certainly a key to bigger picture.

Porter mentioned several times so appears goalie position is his to lose but reassuring to hear about talented depth where Strang and Klan can also be turned to if need arises. .Unlikely goalie spot would be shared but that has been sometimes employed by others.

Like a fan of any team at this point, keeping fingers crossed that stars align and season is all we hope for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom