Media Day | Syracusefan.com

Media Day

Boeheim on his prediction to make the NCAA tournament: “This is my 47th year and it’s the first time I’ve been asked that question. If I was asked the other 46 times I would have had the same answer.”

Boeheim on Joe Girard: “He’s a scorer. That’s what he is, that’s what he was. He’s done a great job for us at the point the last three years. When he moved to the two, he was comfortable.”

Boeheim on this team’s offense compared to last year’s: “We don’t shoot it as well, but we have more guys that can get to the basket

Boeheim on freshmen Chris Bunch and Justin Taylor: “They’re both probably going to play at the three. They’re very competitive with each other. They’re both very good players.”

Boeheim on SU’s freshman class: “By seeing what I’ve seen in practice, all of our freshmen are able to play.”

Boeheim on Benny Williams: “I think he’s worked harder. His shooting has improved. He’s getting better every day.”

Says that Judah Mintz is one of the most athletic point guards he’s seen. Says his level of athleticism is rare amongst point guards.

Boeheim on what success means: “At the end of the year, you play for the tournament. You can say all you want about the Big 10, they sucked in the tournament. If you can’t play in the tournament, you’re not good.”

Boeheim said what he likes about this team is that they can get to the basket and foul line better. It’ll look different than last year, but he’s hoping it’s more effective.

Boeheim said that while the man to man defense is different for him and SU, many of his players are familiar with it from high school and summer ball.

JB seems to think Williams needed to work harder... Possibly a reference to his laid back demeanor on and off the court?

I wish they would have a rover in the audience with a microphone so we could hear the questions, very frustrating. Coach will say "he's doing better" or "he's improving" or "he's better than expected". If JB doesn't repeat the name from the question we are in the dark. Granted, I am hearing impaired at this point in my life, but i don't think that is really the issue. In any event, is was a good presser.

I really dont think JB is in a place to say anybody sucked last year, especially teams that actually made the ncaa tournament

I really dont think JB is in a place to say anybody sucked last year, especially teams that actually made the ncaa tournament

He wasn’t talking about SU or any team. He was talking about conferences. ACC did better than anyone and the conference everyone slobbered over all year sucked. I loved it.

Also ironic that JB called out the B1G as they have owned SU in the NCAAs. I count at least six different B1G teams that have eliminated SU in the NCAAT over the years. Now the Big 12 on the other hand...

Also ironic that JB called out the B1G as they have owned SU in the NCAAs. I count at least six different B1G teams that have eliminated SU in the NCAAT over the years. Now the Big 12 on the other hand...

In fairness SU has gotten their pound of flesh in the NCAAs too. Not to mention the refs had a lot to say in the losses vs Ohio St and Michigan.

SU is 3-2 vs B10 in NCAAs since 03. The two losses- the ones I noted were hatchet jobs by the refs.

We did seem to suck in the tourney vs the B10 in the 80s though.

Last edited:
Remember last year when Jabari Smith took offense to something JB said and Auburn kicked our ass lol

He wasn’t talking about SU or any team. He was talking about conferences. ACC did better than anyone and the conference everyone slobbered over all year sucked. I loved it.
Thats fine, but its not that hard to show a little class and frame that in a better way then saying they "sucked". We didn't make the NCAAs and had one if the worst years in JBs entire coaching career. If one of those Big10 teams coaches who made the tournament last year said to the media that they weren't worried about playing Syracuse because Syracuse sucks JB would have a meltdown. Just be professional.

So after that comment we are losing by 30 to Illinois?
That quote about the Big 10 sucking in the tourney is definitely going to come back to haunt JB before the Illinois game. Lol, I’m sure the idiot Illini fans will be all gassed up about it. Fortunately I think this year’s team is gonna have some swag to it, so hopefully they’ll be unfazed when it’s being talked about before the game.

Last edited:
In fairness SU has gotten their pound of flesh in the NCAAs too. Not to mention the refs had a lot to say in the losses vs Ohio St and Michigan.

SU is 3-2 vs B10 in NCAAs since 03. The two losses- the ones I noted were hatchet jobs by the refs.

We did seem to suck in the tourney vs the B10 in the 80s though.
Yeah those games were poorly reffed for sure. As a previous poster referenced, I don't want to hear about suckitude on the heels of last year's performance by SU.

Man, I gotta say...I love JB talking smack about the Big 10.

non-conference determines almost everything when it comes to perception of what conferences rank where...but teams in november are much different oftentimes than teams in march.

he is 100% right.

the way rankings are made nowadays rests so much on conference rankings and so much of that rest on early season games...

they need to consider giving progressively higher weight to later season games imo

I like JB giving talking points and "buzz"

he is the winningest coach in NCAA right now...

hopefully he is right about this year's team though haha

I get the sense that JB really likes this group and has been bonding with them. It sounds like they have an edge and a swag to them. It’s been discussed in another thread about how JB appreciates kids like Devo who have a fight and a swagger to them vs the quiet types. I mean, look at him talking smack about the Big10. If this group has that swagger (and some skills to back it up), they may actually appreciate and understand JB’s fiery personality and what he’s trying to do for them, which could lead to them wanting to go to battle for him. We need JB to really bond with this group (something that didn’t happen two years ago b/c of Covid…see Kadary and Woody). So I like what I’m hearing from him so far.

Last edited:
In 2020-21, the PAC-12 (13-5 in the NCAAT) was, by every objective measure, the best conference in MBB.

The ACC @ 4-7? Well, they sucked.

JB seems to think Williams needed to work harder... Possibly a reference to his laid back demeanor on and off the court?
I don’t see any correlation between whether you’re laid back or not and whether you’re a hard worker.

That quote about the Big 10 sucking in the tourney is definitely going to come back to haunt JB before the Illinois game. Lol, I’m sure the idiot Illini fans will be all gassed up about it. Fortunately I think this year’s team is gonna have some swag to it, so hopefully they’ll be unfazed when it’s being talked about before the game.
Those fans can yell all they want. Ruth aren't scoring any points

they need to consider giving progressively higher weight to later season games imo
Amen to that.
Teams that are hot going into the tournament should receive much greater consideration than teams that started well.
Teams gelling over the course of a season should be a goal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom