Meet the Newcomers | Syracusefan.com

Meet the Newcomers

As someone new to the sport and recruiting, i am surprised how old these "kids" are. Every single recruit with a listed birthday will be 19 by the time the season starts (i dont want to break it down further, but most of these kids are at least 19 already). I didnt turn 19 until the summer before my Sophomore year of college.

Always good to read the accolades even though we keep up with most of the guys throughout their recruitment. Landon Clary really sticks out with some of those awards "two-time US Lacrosse All-American … Two-time North Carolina All-Star … Two-time Metro 4A Defensive Player of the Year… Set the school record with 374 career groundballs and 308 career caused turnovers."

Sean Donnelly was also the leading score the past two years at IMG academy which I wasn't aware of. Bodes well especially after all the concern after we lost the prize of this class about a year ago to the day.

Many of them seem to be in the right year, 2001, they just per chance happen to have Jan-Feb birthdays (Derby, Kline, Page, Talago, Thompson, Woody).
One thing that has happened since my day is they pushed the date back from Jan 1 to Sept of the previous year for entering most public schools, so Clary and Wood are in the correct school year (Sept 2000-August 2001).

Aviles and Rosa don't list birth dates, but both are public school players and are probably in the correct school year.

Another one to keep an eye on is Derby, knew he was a good player but man: "2019 All Nassau County Selection … Two-Time Maverik Showtime All-Star … Member of the Long Island Under Armour Underclassmen team … 2019 All Nassau County Selection … 2015 Philadelphia Showcase All Star team … Lead the team in ground balls and caused turnovers his senior year … Seaford High School rookie of the year as an 8th grader … Led the team in ground balls (49) and caused turnovers (31) as a senior"

funny you mention birthdays. The #1 in the class of 2021 was born in 2001 and turns 18 in November.

Another one to keep an eye on is Derby, knew he was a good player but man: "2019 All Nassau County Selection … Two-Time Maverik Showtime All-Star … Member of the Long Island Under Armour Underclassmen team … 2019 All Nassau County Selection … 2015 Philadelphia Showcase All Star team … Lead the team in ground balls and caused turnovers his senior year … Seaford High School rookie of the year as an 8th grader … Led the team in ground balls (49) and caused turnovers (31) as a senior"

Lots of interesting tidbits to find in these bios -

Aviles' doesn't mention anything about facing-off, wonder if the coaches will try him at that spot at all?

Both Donnely's and Levandowski's profiles say they were the leading scorer for IMG senior year, did they tie? Does one mean goal scoring and the other total points?

Still kind of amazed to see so many kids from one class come from one school, three from IMG, four if you include Scanlan.

Stripe listed as a midfielder, thought he was an attackman?

Swenson and Wood both from Duxbury but attended New England prep schools. Duxbury was an Massachusetts powerhouse for many years, kind of surprising to see two recruits like that play at different schools. Did something happen to the program? Also, Wood went from scoring 125 as a sophomore for Duxbury to 45 at Govenors'. Big change in talent levels?

Talego scoring 19 goals as a FOGO is eye-catching.

Blake Ulmer having an 81% save percentage is REALLY eye-catching.

Anyways, good to have these and dissect, nice to see how many players were team captains, Team MVPs and statistical category leaders. Hard to think any of the players (minus of course Scanlan) will have an instant impact, but despite the low ranking I still think a couple of these players can make a big impact. Think I am most curious to see Aviles, Levandowski, Derby and Talego.

Aviles' doesn't mention anything about facing-off, wonder if the coaches will try him at that spot at all?

Both Donnely's and Levandowski's profiles say they were the leading scorer for IMG senior year, did they tie? Does one mean goal scoring and the other total points?

Still kind of amazed to see so many kids from one class come from one school, three from IMG, four if you include Scanlan.

Swenson and Wood both from Duxbury but attended New England prep schools. Duxbury was an Massachusetts powerhouse for many years, kind of surprising to see two recruits like that play at different schools. Did something happen to the program? Also, Wood went from scoring 125 as a sophomore for Duxbury to 45 at Govenors'. Big change in talent levels?

Anyways, good to have these and dissect, nice to see how many players were team captains, Team MVPs and statistical category leaders. Hard to think any of the players (minus of course Scanlan) will have an instant impact, but despite the low ranking I still think a couple of these players can make a big impact. Think I am most curious to see Aviles, Levandowski, Derby and Talego.

I played at the same school (many years ago) that Ulmer played at (WIlbraham Monson) ,,,the New England prep school circuit is very good and he is legit for sure...have been following him for a while and met him at the Dome last year for the UVA game...he was brought up by former Cuse player Mike MacDonald who is now the coach at Wilbraham ..re: Wood- Govenor's likely a big step up from Duxbury...

Regarding the scoring issue, Levandowski led all midfielders at IMG per the article.

Wood and Swenson both started high school during the 2015-2016 school year at Duxbury High school and both made the varsity lacrosse team. Duxbury still is a powerhouse team, but they play a few league games against some week competition so that is why Wood's numbers may have been a little inflated during his sophomore year. Also his team at Govs was loaded with D1 offensive talent to there was only so many points to go around his jr year. I believe both left Duxbury for Prep schools for a multitude of reasons, no knock on Duxbury and coach Sweet

18 new players? Whoa. That’s just too many. How many redshirts/transfers are there going to be?

18 new players? Whoa. That’s just too many. How many redshirts/transfers are there going to be?

You are right it is a problem. Only appear to be losing 9 seniors. Probably the craziest aspect of the squad is the unheard of SEVEN goalies. If Willie Klan indeed did not actually transfer you have to think at least one of the other ones did or just left the team.

You are right it is a problem. Only appear to be losing 9 seniors. Probably the craziest aspect of the squad is the unheard of SEVEN goalies. If Willie Klan indeed did not actually transfer you have to think at least one of the other ones did or just left the team.
True-- that is a lot of goalies for one team lol. Porter, Strang and Willie will be gone after this year though (Willie decided to come back and is still on the team as far as im concerned). Strang will probably be the backup should Porter not see the ball well and the freshman will redshirt. I don't think McPeak will ever see the field and I cant speak on Katchadurian as ive never seen him play. Either Ulmer or Thompson will be the starting goalie next year.

Last edited:

Many red-shirts, few transfers from what I have been told. Guys like it here even though they know PT will be hard to come by for most.

Believe Tyler Lawton is the only confirmed transfer, though we won’t know for sure till we see an updated roster. Probably have to wait for the Alumni Scrimmage. Unless they print them for this weekend against Denver.

Believe Tyler Lawton is the only confirmed transfer, though we won’t know for sure till we see an updated roster. Probably have to wait for the Alumni Scrimmage. Unless they print them for this weekend against Denver.

I meant from this group of 18, not the upperclassmen

I wouldn't worry about it.

Someone will smash a few car mirrors.

Someone will pick a fight with the football team.

Someone will drink too much and complain about the cookies on M Street.

The numbers always work out.

Pretty funny - and true!

I wouldn't worry about it.

Someone will smash a few car mirrors.

Someone will pick a fight with the football team.

Someone will drink too much and complain about the cookies on M Street.

The numbers always work out.
Bros will be bros.

True-- that is a lot of goalies for one team lol. Porter, Strang and Willie will be gone after this year though (Willie decided to come back and is still on the team as far as im concerned). Strang will probably be the backup should Porter not see the ball well and the freshman will redshirt. I don't think McPeak will ever see the field and I cant speak on Katchadurian as ive never seen him play. Either Ulmer or Thompson will be the starting goalie next year.
Ridiculous depth , Strang is skilled rs jr n problably lead candidate to start next if he returns. Katchurian is large body but surprisingly agile. Thompson and Ulmer are both very good prospects . Klan and McPeak have talent that would play at others

Ridiculous depth , Strang is skilled rs jr n problably lead candidate to start next if he returns. Katchurian is large body but surprisingly agile. Thompson and Ulmer are both very good prospects . Klan and McPeak have talent that would play at others
Dang, I forgot that Strang redshirted his freshman year-- but you're right. If he comes back next year I would suspect he would get the starting job, but Ulmer and Thompson could give him a run for his money. Id much rather have a problem of having too many goalies rather than not having many options available; should something ever happen to Porter.

Dami Oladunmoye Nothing but a Memory or will he reappear down the road?

It seems a little peculiar that a defenseman could make the Philly US HS AA list 2 times, like Zach Lee did, and not be listed in top 50 defensemen. 104 gbs sounds nice too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom