Men’s lacrosse to experiment with shot clock this fall | Syracusefan.com

Men’s lacrosse to experiment with shot clock this fall

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

For teams choosing to use the experimental rule, the shot clock will start when possession is established. Teams will continue to have 30 seconds to clear the ball and enter the attack area.

If a team regains possession after satisfying the shot clock (hitting the goal pipe; goalkeeper makes a save, etc.), the clock will reset to 60 seconds.

I don't like shot clocks in general. I understand the powers that be want to eliminate the excessive stalls. The purist in me says, "That's part of the game!" The Syracuse fan in me says, "This plays into the classic Orange up tempo game!"

My reasoning insists that the clock should probably be closer to 2-3 minutes. 1) The offense for every team will simply run and shoot with no real offensive plays developing (NBA?) 2) Defenses are somewhat nullified (elite D's will never be nullified) 3) There simply are not enough kids out there for 10-12 fast teams (traditional Syracuse and Virginia teams), let alone all of D-1 lacrosse.

With a 60 second shot clock, I think we could see lacrosse players develop like football players, especially running backs, middle linebackers, receivers and DBs with far more straight on hitting and bull rushing the goal (Jim Brown-esque). Gone would be the strategy of using the full field, counting on team mates, the cutting, the passing, the shots with only a slim margin of hope; in short, the shot clock could change the game into something we will not recognize in a decade or two.

I said this on our board - we've got a lot of teams that play 7-6 games with no stalling calls. Do they end up playing 3-2 games because they play catch with the goalie to avoid the shot clock violations?

Will first say 60 seconds could be too short. Might bump it up to 1:30 or even 2, but IMO, run and shoot is the way the game was meant to be played, so we’re getting back to that.

Here’s what I like; it’ll get back to the two way player. A kid who can play offense and defense. There is nothing more I hate than all of the situational subbing in today's game. Taking minutes off the game so a team can run their defensive mid-line off and the offensive lines on. That’s bunk. Play both ways.

Here’s what I do know, the game was never meant to be a bore fest. Snoozing while the other team passes the ball around the perimeter for 3, 4, 5, 6 minutes trying to catch the other team falling asleep off ball. There has to be a happy medium between the UNLV Running Rebs and the 4 Corners. I like the shot clock because it takes the arbitrary and inconsistent opinion out of the hands of the officials.

(Personally I like to the play the game Dino Babers style on offense, with aggressive hardnosed pressure defense on the other end, it's what I preach and teach. Play wide open. It drives me insane when a team has numbers and pulls it out. Babers wants 90 plays a game, I want 90 shots a game. Good save percentages are 50-55%, its a game of numbers, more shots = more goals.)

Last edited:
Will first say 60 seconds could be too short. Might bump it up to 1:30 or even 2, but IMO, run and shoot is the way the game was meant to be played, so we’re getting back to that.

Here’s what I like; it’ll get back to the two way player. A kid who can play offense and defense. There is nothing more I hate than all of the situational subbing in today's game. Taking minutes off the game so a team can run their defensive mid-line off and the offensive lines on. That’s bunk. Play both ways.

Here’s what I do know, the game was never meant to be a bore fest. Snoozing while the other team passes the ball around the perimeter for 3, 4, 5, 6 minutes trying to catch the other team falling asleep off ball. There has to be a happy medium between the UNLV Running Rebs and the 4 Corners. I like the shot clock because it takes the arbitrary and inconsistent opinion out of the hands of the officials.

(Personally I like to the play the game Dino Babers style on offense, with aggressive hardnosed pressure defense on the other end, it's what I preach and teach. Play wide open. It drives me insane when a team has numbers and pulls it out. Babers wants 90 plays a game, I want 90 shots a game. Good save percentages are 50-55%, its a game of numbers, more shots = more goals.)

I agree with your sentiment, though I still dislike shot clocks in general. I agree that I hate snooze fests and that the four corners defense sucks to watch, unless you are a Princeton fan watching them beat the big boys in hoops, which is pretty much the only offense a Princeton team could use to beat the big boys in hoops.

I like two-way players, less substitutions. I am more concerned that it will simply be easier to run in a team full of running backs and linebackers than to play the average size guys beating the opposition physically, not skill.

I agree with the lots of shots on goal. The more a team shoots the more it will score, you don't have to worry as much about percentages.

I think a shot clock that is too short, removes skill from a game. A compromise should meet both goals, speed up play but not to the point of a skill-less track meet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom