Methinks this doesn't good if you're a Louisville fan | Syracusefan.com

Methinks this doesn't good if you're a Louisville fan

Yeah, weird. He should have said nothing. He would be in the same spot with everyone wondering, but coming out and saying something just makes them wonder, too.

How's next on the AD's speed dial as he sounds like he's gone.

Strong supposedly made a recent comment regarding the lack of Louisville fan support for the football team. Said BBN supported their football team better than Cards' fans did. As you can imagine, that did not go over well at all. :eek:

Cheers,
Neil

He basically admitted to at least talking to, if not interviewing with, other schools. Oops.

He basically admitted to at least talking to, if not interviewing with, other schools. Oops.
He would be foolish not to at least listen.

The ville AD said he would match any offer. So he's out getting offers. It's to be expected.

Strong supposedly made a recent comment regarding the lack of Louisville fan support for the football team. Said BBN supported their football team better than Cards' fans did. As you can imagine, that did not go over well at all. :eek:

Cheers,
Neil

Thought they just sold 14,000 tix for Sugar. Strange.

Thought they just sold 14,000 tix for Sugar. Strange.

I think the comment was made toward the end of the regular season, after their last home game against UConn which only drew 45K in attendance. But a Cards fan would likely know for sure.

Cheers,
Neil

It seems like fan support plays an outsized role in things. If Strong leaves and cites fan support - I think that's weak. They are headed to a better conference (where a NC is possible), they have this huge athletic budget, and by all accounts a great AD.

Good for him. I respect a straight-shooter over a guy who just blatantly lies through his teeth. It's no secret that there is interest out there for Strong, and he'd be foolish not to at least listen and/or consider his options.

It seems like fan support plays an outsized role in things. If Strong leaves and cites fan support - I think that's weak. They are headed to a better conference (where a NC is possible), they have this huge athletic budget, and by all accounts a great AD.

Why is that weak? Fan support is a huge consideration for a head coach and/or player.

He would be foolish not to at least listen.
Obviously, but his response to questions on the matter could be a little less forthcoming.

Why is that weak? Fan support is a huge consideration for a head coach and/or player.

I'm not saying its not apart of the equation; Just that it seems more important than it should be. The reason the SEC has huge fan bases is a combination of winning and tradition. Why not build your own? Why can't Marrone and Strong stay for 15+ years and build a tradition of winning? Fan support will come with wins. Wins lead to exposure, which leads to more fan support.

It's weak to use it as an excuse. Build it from the ground up. I would think increasing fan support by winning would be more rewarding than plugging yourself into a ready-made school. Just my 2 cents.

And then there is this guy who is definitely looking.

Butch Jones: Sources close to the situation tell us that Jones was very impressed with the visit he had with Colorado yesterday. However, he remains undecided at this point. Jones will meet with the media for the Belk Bowl press conference at 1pm ET. We believe that it is very possible that Jones could announce his decision at that time.
Update> We are told no "job discussion" at the Bowl presser. Look for a decision later tonight.

Cheers,
Neil
What's BBN?

2 ways of looking at this.
1. he's interviewing
2. he's leveraging for a bigger payday from lville.

Strong's comments about BBN came out at the end of a very long Q&A over whether or not he was talking to potential suitors. He is not the best at delivering a message during his press conferences, he has a habit of letting the conversation go where it tends to go. He could driven the direction of that presser but the longer it went the more he started talking about things he doesn't like about the Louisville job which is fan related - no one showing up at the Card March, fans late getting to their seats, the fact that not all 17K of the seats were bought on day 1. And then he tacked on the BBN stuff.

He could have ended all speculation. Instead he opened the door to greater scrutiny.

Let's see, Auburn or Tennessee jobs versus Louisville...hmmmmm.
Not really a tough choice, IMO.
It is what it is. :noidea:

Let's see, Auburn or Tennessee jobs versus Louisville...hmmmmm.
Not really a tough choice, IMO.
It is what it is. :noidea:

Why not? I think Auburn will be extremely tough for whoever gets it- Competing (and being compared)in the same state and conference against Saban year in and year out. Good luck keeping your job!

Why not? I think Auburn will be extremely tough for whoever gets it- Competing (and being compared)in the same state and conference against Saban year in and year out. Good luck keeping your job!
Fair enough. But the name of the game is advancement.
UL is NOT the kinda destination those other 2 are, IMO.
If he likes challenges at the highest levels, he'll look to leave- just like most HC's leave for the NFL, NBA, and such.

I'm not saying its not apart of the equation; Just that it seems more important than it should be. The reason the SEC has huge fan bases is a combination of winning and tradition. Why not build your own? Why can't Marrone and Strong stay for 15+ years and build a tradition of winning? Fan support will come with wins. Wins lead to exposure, which leads to more fan support.

It's weak to use it as an excuse. Build it from the ground up. I would think increasing fan support by winning would be more rewarding than plugging yourself into a ready-made school. Just my 2 cents.

I don't know if that applies in all situations, when we were winning consistently, our fanbase was slightly bigger, but the knock on us for bowl games was that we didn't travel well as fans. I just don't think we put as much love and value into football as people down here in the south do, they eat, sleep and breath it. We just enjoy it for the moments. Marrone could produce a consistent winner, and I have a feeling we would still have the same issues. Louisville on the other hand, I really am not sure what their issue is. I guess for them as well as kentucky the fans in that area are just really about basketball.