Mets 30-f-30 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 30-f-30

upperdeck

Living Legend
the first 2 hrs were outstanding.. Some stuff said outload I didnt think they would actually say

very well done, enjoyed every minute. Strawberry was so hot and cold as a player. Had some huge hits in at right times. Bizarre the series of trades etc that were made after the 86 season. I forgot about the whole Mike Scott ordeal as well.

Keith Hernandez was great in the doc, very good insight etc. Liked his cat too

And Ojeda was great too. My favorite line of the whole thing was in game 6 of the NLCS as Jesse Orosco was about to give up a 3-4 run lead in the bottom of the 9th of 6th game knowing that Mike Scott was throwing game 7 for Astros. 2 outs and Keith Hernandez goes to the mound and tells him "if you throw one more fastball I will "expletive" kill you" 3 straight sliders and that was the game

I've only been able to watch most of part 2 at this point. My sports fandom really began around that time with the '86 Mets, the '86 Giants, the '86-'87 Orange Hoops team, and the '87 Orange football team.

I read The Bad Guys Won, and find the Hernandez/Carter dynamic really interesting. I mean they were truly contemporaries in both age, ability, etc., but apparently back then, were very different personalities with Carter being openly mocked and despised by teammates. It's amazing how with age come perspective, and how Hernandez openly weaped and discussed how he revered Carter at the time of his death. You see it a bit with these other guys in the documentary too.

All of that being said, in that clip where Mookie got hit in the eye with the ball during the rundown in spring training, and Carter ran over too him and was so gentle (no cursing, genuine concern, stayed with him throughout), I was really taken aback.

I've only been able to watch most of part 2 at this point. My sports fandom really began around that time with the '86 Mets, the '86 Giants, the '86-'87 Orange Hoops team, and the '87 Orange football team.

I read The Bad Guys Won, and find the Hernandez/Carter dynamic really interesting. I mean they were truly contemporaries in both age, ability, etc., but apparently back then, were very different personalities with Carter being openly mocked and despised by teammates. It's amazing how with age come perspective, and how Hernandez openly weaped and discussed how he revered Carter at the time of his death. You see it a bit with these other guys in the documentary too.

All of that being said, in that clip where Mookie got hit in the eye with the ball during the rundown in spring training, and Carter ran over too him and was so gentle (no cursing, genuine concern, stayed with him throughout), I was really taken aback.
I read a book by Warren Cromartie years back, the same thing was said about Carter there.

He was a god guy, a good guy, and while he loved the camera he also loved his teammates and the game.

Just binged watch this, my main takeaway is, how in the hell did Keith Hernandez (or Carter before his passing) not get a managers job?

Im guessing with Keith it was the drug trials.

I posted this before, but in 2000 there was a 86 Mets thing at Shea, and a bunch of them were in the hotel bar of the hotel I was staying at.

Also, the Cardinals were staying there as they were playing the Mets.

So you had Keith Hernandez, Roger McDowell, Howard Johnson, Bobby Ojeda, Ron Darling, Eric Davis, Rick Ankiel, etc. in the bar that night. Those are ones I specifically remember, but quite a few others too. Pretty cool to see.

Also got Gary Carter’s autograph as a kid in the early 90s - seemed like a very nice guy.

Just binged watch this, my main takeaway is, how in the hell did Keith Hernandez (or Carter before his passing) not get a managers job?

Im guessing with Keith it was the drug trials.
Keith always has had other interests dont ever think he wanted to put in the time associated with being a manager.

I posted this before, but in 2000 there was a 86 Mets thing at Shea, and a bunch of them were in the hotel bar of the hotel I was staying at.

Also, the Cardinals were staying there as they were playing the Mets.

So you had Keith Hernandez, Roger McDowell, Howard Johnson, Bobby Ojeda, Ron Darling, Eric Davis, Rick Ankiel, etc. in the bar that night. Those are ones I specifically remember, but quite a few others too. Pretty cool to see.

Also got Gary Carter’s autograph as a kid in the early 90s - seemed like a very nice guy.
Rick Ankiel? You mean Rick.Aguillera?

Rick Ankiel? You mean Rick.Aguillera?
Ha, no. Some of the 2000 Cardinals were there too. Ankiel was one of them. This was the year that he was a phenom pitcher, and then suddenly couldn’t throw a strike in the playoffs.

Ankiel was hanging out with reliever Mike James who threw a pretzel at my brother(who was like 16), and then tried to play it off like he didn’t do it. He was a wild man, lol. James was HAMMERED. He came in late in the next days game (afternoon game) and blew the game. Can’t write stuff better than what actually happens sometimes.

Eric Davis was probably closer in age to the old Mets that were there than his Cardinals teammates that were there. He was hanging with the old Mets the whole time, lol.

Charlie Kerfeld - that was a 15 second of fame guy. And Nolan Ryan dealing at 39. Stros had a good team.

Just catching this Documentary tonight ... not sure if they showed it on TSN earlier, but the 30 for 30's typically get shown a few weeks later in Canada.

Saw most of the first 90 minutes, and taped the last 90 minutes (they are playing the parts back to back).

Really good documentary -- I was a much bigger baseball fan back then (even if I did not like the Mets) -- I knew the players so much more at the time -- I read whatever I could when I was 11 --- 5 or 6 preview magazines, Elias, Bill James Abstract. memorized baseball cards. But its great to see a look behind the scenes that I would have been naive to at the time.

Of course was a huge Gary Carter fan at the time-- but even at that young age when I talked to adults I could tell he had a reputation of not being well liked and spotlight seeker. Even if he was not a bad guy as I learned later.

Lenny Dykstra is really screwed up. Bob Ojeda seemed like an odd fit into the bucnh.

I only have 1 petty quirk -- when people take an inaccurate shot at the Montreal Expos it gets me a little riled up. And really it has nothing to do with the quality of the documentary. When they were introducing Gary Carter, his wife mentioned that in 1985 there was a moment that 40-50,000 fans were cheering for him and he had never experienced that. OK, the Expos crowds stank at the end, but they got great crowds between 1979 and 1983

Here is a 4 game series from August 1982 and a 3 game series from September 1979.
1633399233170.png

1633399650083.png

Just catching this Documentary tonight ... not sure if they showed it on TSN earlier, but the 30 for 30's typically get shown a few weeks later in Canada.

Saw most of the first 90 minutes, and taped the last 90 minutes (they are playing the parts back to back).

Really good documentary -- I was a much bigger baseball fan back then (even if I did not like the Mets) -- I knew the players so much more at the time -- I read whatever I could when I was 11 --- 5 or 6 preview magazines, Elias, Bill James Abstract. memorized baseball cards. But its great to see a look behind the scenes that I would have been naive to at the time.

Of course was a huge Gary Carter fan at the time-- but even at that young age when I talked to adults I could tell he had a reputation of not being well liked and spotlight seeker. Even if he was not a bad guy as I learned later.

Lenny Dykstra is really screwed up. Bob Ojeda seemed like an odd fit into the bucnh.

I only have 1 petty quirk -- when people take an inaccurate shot at the Montreal Expos it gets me a little riled up. And really it has nothing to do with the quality of the documentary. When they were introducing Gary Carter, his wife mentioned that in 1985 there was a moment that 40-50,000 fans were cheering for him and he had never experienced that. OK, the Expos crowds stank at the end, but they got great crowds between 1979 and 1983

Here is a 4 game series from August 1982 and a 3 game series from September 1979.
View attachment 207740
View attachment 207741
My father and uncles still talk about being at some big Dodgers-Expos games in their younger days in the early 80s. Specifically the Rick Monday homer game. They’ve said the crowds were huge and they were in the cheap seats.

I was there a lot as a kid in the 90s...I don’t recall the crowds seeming really small until after the strike.

Watching it now and they explained that Jesse Orsoco, Doug Sisk and Danny Heep were the three biggest veteran wild guys. Not expecting that.

Who would have expected some thing could go wrong at "Cooters" night club.

Also, That DP where Hernandez threw to Carter (who was playing third base) was a pretty amazing play.
How many brawls did the 1986 Mets get into?

The footage of the fans on the field as they clinched in 1986 was pretty amazing. Especially that angle from above as they got that clinching out.

Never saw that (or remembered it anyway)

The footage of the fans on the field as they clinched in 1986 was pretty amazing. Especially that angle from above as they got that clinching out.

Never saw that (or remembered it anyway)
I’m wondering how they got fans to stop storming the field/court in pro sports. Seems like something that used to happen fairly often, and now it never does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom