Mick Cronin to UCLA | Syracusefan.com

Mick Cronin to UCLA

He's an alum / former player there. So much for loyalty.

UCLA just became one of my most hated teams.
Dixon left Pitt because that fanbase drove him out.
Now Pitt underachieved in the tournament but Dixon was doing the job keeping them relevant.
TCU overpaid him to leave but he always was rumored for a West Coast job USC/Arizona State when they opened.
Dixon is from North Hollywood so he would be going home.

It’s a good for UCLA as much as Dixon is annoying with how he coaches during games he is a proven winner.
He has made TCU solid when they were a dumpster fire before he got there.

UCLA fans will have to deal with his March baggage but this a home run for them.

UCLA - with the right coach - can crush it in LA. The PAC 12 is a wasteland right now. They could go on a Kansas type run very easily in that conference. If I was UCLA - I'd be going after the TT coach. That guy's a machine.

Dixon left Pitt because that fanbase drove him out.
Now Pitt underachieved in the tournament but Dixon was doing the job keeping them relevant.
TCU overpaid him to leave but he always was rumored for a West Coast job USC/Arizona State when they opened.
Dixon is from North Hollywood so he would be going home.

It’s a good for UCLA as much as Dixon is annoying with how he coaches during games he is a proven winner.
He has made TCU solid when they were a dumpster fire before he got there.

UCLA fans will have to deal with his March baggage but this a home run for them.
I think that the term "home run" gets used too often. Dixon is a solid coach, but postseason performance is relevant, too. Given his track record, I'm not sure that he's a home run for an ostensible blue blood like UCLA, even as a program that has slipped a notch.

They were ostensibly talking to Calipari last week. Dixon is no Calipari.

Why would UCLA want a guy who has proven over a long time he can't get to the Sweet 16? UCLA fired Howland who went to 3 Final Fours because they didn't win a title and that's unacceptable at John Wooden U. Dixon just seems like an irrational hire.

If they are going to overpay for Dixon, I wonder if they explored bringing Hop home behind the scenes.

Who is conducting this search for UCLA? Let's get Cal a raise and then settle for the carbon copy of a guy who we chased out of here even though he won - a lot.

UCLA - with the right coach - can crush it in LA. The PAC 12 is a wasteland right now. They could go on a Kansas type run very easily in that conference. If I was UCLA - I'd be going after the TT coach. That guy's a machine.
Yeah, PAC 12 is in a really weird place as a conference. Feels like it has a lot of programs that should be better than they are, under achieving all at the same time.

So you're going to leave an income tax free state for one of the most expensive places to live in america, crazy taxes, and you'll be flying commercial to recruiting trips/games in a dying conference with an atrocious TV deal?

Pass.

So you're going to leave an income tax free state for one of the most expensive places to live in america, crazy taxes, and you'll be flying commercial to recruiting trips/games in a dying conference with an atrocious TV deal?

Pass.
To each his own, I guess. LA is maybe the best recruiting area in the country - with very limited competition. (USC is a football school.) The school is a hoops first school and will anoint the next successful coach as a savior.

And I'll take $8M a year and live on the beach for the rest of my life over Texas any day. Have you ever been to Westwood? You may want to rethink your post a bit.

I'd be thrilled if my son got into UCLA (if only because of the fantastic parents weekends - lol). It's a great school in a great environment.

Yes the taxes are high. So what.

I hated playing against Dixon coached teams so I figure that means he's a pretty good coach.

To each his own, I guess. LA is maybe the best recruiting area in the country - with very limited competition. (USC is a football school.) The school is a hoops first school and will anoint the next successful coach as a savior.

And I'll take $8M a year and live on the beach for the rest of my life over Texas any day. Have you ever been to Westwood? You may want to rethink your post a bit.

I'd be thrilled if my son got into UCLA (if only because of the fantastic parents weekends - lol). It's a great school in a great environment.

If Jamie Dixon is the coach at UCLA and makes 8 million dollars a year, I will go visit your son if he gets into westwood.

UCLA is notoriously cheap

Pass.

I guess Texas being a Gulf Coast state hasn't any beaches. With the coin these guys make, I'm sure Dixon could have a pretty sweet (2nd home) beach house along the Texas' Gulf Coast if he so desired.

Dixon is a good hire, although I agree with Cuse Cactus, take a run at Chris Beard first, that guy is freaking awesome. he will be available to talk to in less than a week, where is Dixon going in the meantime?

What a letdown hire.

First there's Bennett talk. Then calipari. And they decide to hire Dixon? Not a great job of managing expectations on that one.

Sure. He's a fine coach. And left alone he would have them respectable every year. But they've been respectable before and that's never been enough.

To hire him without even taking a run at Chris beard this year seems crazy.

lol someone in here calling Dixon home run for UCLA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom