Mick Cronin: You don't see officials get in Jim Boeheim or Coach K's face | Syracusefan.com

Mick Cronin: You don't see officials get in Jim Boeheim or Coach K's face

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Andy Katz interviewed Cincy coach Mick Cronin after Teddy Valentine got in his face today during the UConn game.

Lol, first of all the guy looks like a 12 year old, and when you actually win something of relevance, then maybe you can make that statement.

ginger balls.

rhys-darby-as-murray.png

Typical TV Teddy, always trying to be part of the game. I'm noticing that type of "look at me" behavior is becoming a trend amongst college refs.

Yes, it is.

And its a disturbing trend, frankly. The rules changes last offseason weren't enforced; I'd expect an even bigger backlash this offseason to counteract poor officiating.

TV Teddy threw out an Auburn fan the other day. And we all know how raucous that Auburn basketball crowd can be...

Last edited:
TV Teddy threw out an Auburn fan the other day. And we all know how raucous that Auburn basketball crown can be...

Think about how crazy that whole exchange was today. Valentine gets in Cronin's face, stomping forward in an overtly confrontational way as if he wanted to go toe-to-toe. After that, Cronin gets provoked and goes wild--but no T gets called? Why? Because Valentine knew that if he T'd him up after instigating the conflict with his initial action, he would have gotten lambasted.

And Cronin deserved a T for how he was ranting and raving on the sideline, but he didn't deserve to have some big lummox get in his face like a frat kid trying to start a fight with a smaller guy.

Last edited:
Tell him to stand up.....oh wait

Side note why do all Cincy Hoops teams look and play like thugs, even when Huggy Bear was there, this has always been their look

Cronin probably should have been T'd for his outburst but Valentine was way out of line getting in his face and trying to intimidate him. and loved how Patrick/Greenberg were all like "Ted Valentine is just an excellent official, look how well he handled that situation" Oh Lord

I think 50 years from now people will be reading that refs for college basketball were all on the take. And that ESPN was the dark force that started it. Too bad I won't be around when the story hits the headlines. That's all I got folks, I'm taking off the tin foil hat now and hitting the bottle of Jameson. On to Tuesday, season's not over yet.

Opened the thread to say to be fair to Mic, Valentine is a world class douche. Glad others agree.

I've never minded Valentine, but that was appalling. If anything warrants the suspension of a referee (well, other than the horrid, inconsistent calls we see in every game), that's it.

I suspect it's that kind of thing that led Boeheim to demand that Valentine be barred from reffing SU games several years ago.

I think 50 years from now people will be reading that refs for college basketball were all on the take. And that ESPN was the dark force that started it. Too bad I won't be around when the story hits the headlines. That's all I got folks, I'm taking off the tin foil hat now and hitting the bottle of Jameson. On to Tuesday, season's not over yet.

I think this is correct at some level.

There is a conspiracy among the networks, the conferences, and the officials. Officiating is inconsistent, there are no repercussions, and criticism is not tolerated.

There is a conspiracy among the networks, the conferences, and the officials. Officiating is inconsistent, there are no repercussions, and criticism is not tolerated.

I'd like to see officials have to answer the media at a post-game presser following each game, with replays available, so that they can explain their calls and non-calls.

Immediately after the Duke game Tony Greene said he got 75 messages from fellow refs supporting him. The officials are unified on this one and so far it doesn't seem that we are getting any breaks. What JB did and said to Greene is something this group has taken personally.

Cronin has singled out Syracuse other times in the past. I think he made some bitchy comments about SU leaving for the greener pastures of the ACC.
He comes off as a guy with a major inferiority complex in the college basketball coaching community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom