Micron - Let’s try this again | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Our condolences, Texas.

iu

Sincerely,

Syracuse and CNY

Our condolences, Texas.

iu

Sincerely,

Syracuse and CNY
As a Texan (I've actually lived here longer than I lived in Ohio and New York combined, so yeah, I consider myself a Texan), but native Central New Yorker, I am happy for the Central NY area. It is certainly in need of a large employer like this.

It is exciting to have something this big happening in our backyard. Micron sounds like a terrific fit with the region. Just the type of company we would ideally bring in. Awesome job by everyone involved.

Some general thoughts:

That sleepy exit for Caughdenoy Road on I81N just a couple of miles north of the exit for Route 11/Drivers Village is going to get used a lot more. There is no matching entrance to I-81 from Caughdenoy. That is surely going to have to change. Thinking we are going to need an exit heading south on I81 as well.

Hoping that we do see development of the rail line that runs from downtown Syracuse north to White Pines for commuter traffic for White Pines workers. Make a nice station downtown (it is a shame we lost the one OnTrack was using).

Add a station at White Pines and maybe ones in Brewerton and Liverpool too (the village would be cool but maybe off Wetzel or Buckley would be easier; more accessible, more land for parking, etc.).

What would really be cool is, if we have regular traffic and cars and engines and all the infrastructure and support needed to run a rail line for people, if special runs could be developed to take fans to and from Syracuse sporting events. Bring back OnTrack.

People could get off their shift at the Micron plant, take the train downtown, get some food and drink, head to the game, take the train back downtown (or to Liverpool or wherever their cars and homes are).

I think the rail line roughly parallels I81 north to Watertown, where it runs past Fort Drum and then up to Canada. Could even have special trains from Watertown and Fort Drum.

Is this kind of a scenario even remotely possible?

Yeah that sounds like great news for the region. Now what kind of NIL deals is this place rolling out?
Probably none in the near term. Construction doesn’t start until 2024.

So I admittedly haven't had time to read all the way through. What is the timeline and when initial impacts job wise might be felt?

Not political but did think it was funny that Schumer's comments on Micron we're similar to his at Destiny ground breaking.
I assume water system and infrastructure are early steps? Very exciting time.

So I admittedly haven't had time to read all the way through. What is the timeline and when initial impacts job wise might be felt?
I think we’ve already seen some private investment news that cited the likelihood of the plant as reasons for moving forward. Great Northern redevelopment and a waterfront housing development not too far from there. The aquarium no doubt was rammed through in part to bolster the amenity profile. Those are just a few that come to mind.

What’s next? Not sure. Maybe destiny starts landing more attractive tenants. Maybe private dollars start pouring in to make the aquarium even bigger in scope? My money is on accelerated inner harbor development which in itself would be a great thing.

Now, c'mon. You all know there are several Texans on this board who love Texas but actively root for SU. Why would you be that mean to us?
Not to mention there are several tech companies in Texas and more moving in. Be nice to potential customers.

The idea of UT or TAMU home and homes sounds good. I'd go for home and homes with U of H and Rice just to get SU down here.

Not to mention there are several tech companies in Texas and more moving in. Be nice to potential customers.

The idea of UT or TAMU home and homes sounds good. I'd go for home and homes with U of H and Rice just to get SU down here.

I've been an SU fan since I was a kid - some 40+ years ago, but my very FIRST Syracuse football AND basketball games that I attended were here in Texas - the Texas Bowl vs Minnesota and the Final Four vs North Carolina. Coming up the escalators at the Reliant Center for the Final Four, I turned around to see two other gentleman wearing SU gear. Struck up a quick conversation with them and found out that they live just a couple miles from me in Katy, TX. 20K people at the game, 7M people in Houston and the surrounding area and I run into 2 other Texans living close to me who love SU.

It is exciting to have something this big happening in our backyard. Micron sounds like a terrific fit with the region. Just the type of company we would ideally bring in. Awesome job by everyone involved.

Some general thoughts:

That sleepy exit for Caughdenoy Road on I81N just a couple of miles north of the exit for Route 11/Drivers Village is going to get used a lot more. There is no matching entrance to I-81 from Caughdenoy. That is surely going to have to change. Thinking we are going to need an exit heading south on I81 as well.

Hoping that we do see development of the rail line that runs from downtown Syracuse north to White Pines for commuter traffic for White Pines workers. Make a nice station downtown (it is a shame we lost the one OnTrack was using).

Add a station at White Pines and maybe ones in Brewerton and Liverpool too (the village would be cool but maybe off Wetzel or Buckley would be easier; more accessible, more land for parking, etc.).

What would really be cool is, if we have regular traffic and cars and engines and all the infrastructure and support needed to run a rail line for people, if special runs could be developed to take fans to and from Syracuse sporting events. Bring back OnTrack.

People could get off their shift at the Micron plant, take the train downtown, get some food and drink, head to the game, take the train back downtown (or to Liverpool or wherever their cars and homes are).

I think the rail line roughly parallels I81 north to Watertown, where it runs past Fort Drum and then up to Canada. Could even have special trains from Watertown and Fort Drum.

Tom, the rail line you are referring to runs through Liverpool behind Heids and over the parkway bridge. It does run north paralleling 81.

Tom, the rail line you are referring to runs through Liverpool behind Heids and over the parkway bridge. It does run north paralleling 81.
Agreed. That is why I talked about a station in Liverpool.

The part about the rail line roughly paralleling I81 is from Brewerton to Watertown...

The possible synergies between Micron and SU are obvious. We should be able to attract leading teachers in the technology field here. We should become more in-demand for students looking to get into this field who will then stay here and work for Micron or its spin-offs.

While I don't know how it will impact athletic recruiting, maybe we can, uh, cherry-pick some of Ga. Tech's recruits? Or perhaps MIT's?

Regardless, this is huge for the CNY region and the university. I'm thrilled.

Some general thoughts:

I love this idea.

It's a rarely-used freight line and does run past Fort Drum (I remember during Desert Storm when I was very young that trains on that line would run past with tanks and heavy trucks on flat cars.)

There are several obstacles in using it as passenger trackage:

1) It's single track the full distance without any significant sidings, which means one train at a time and only in one direction. CSX, who owns the trackage, already hates having to deal with passenger rail.
2) Because it's single track, that means a bottleneck at the vaunted Onondaga Lake Parkway bridge.
3) NYSW operates on the trackage within the city limits (including downtown) independently of CSX. CSX trackage runs west/east once it reaches the mall, where the spur line in question meets it.
4) OnTrak came into existance because it was a joint partnership between the county and the much smaller NYSW, which operated the service. CSX woud not be interested in passenger operations, meaning it would need to allow a small, independent body to operate on its trackage - and passenger traffic takes priority over freight by rule. So that would be a huge hoop to jump.

This is huge huge news that most want to discuss. But anyone that try’s to turn it into a political discussion will be banned from this thread.

Great read that provides some insight into what goes on behind the scenes. Glad that Kathy didn’t shy away from her SU ties.