Midnight Madness at Carrier Dome on Oct. 14 | Syracusefan.com

Midnight Madness at Carrier Dome on Oct. 14

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
2009-10-16-madness-nljpg-c796e6efd8018776_large.jpg

Syracuse University to hold Midnight Madness at Carrier Dome on Oct. 14

Jersey Shore? Really?

I'll watch the actual scrimage on OOA. I can't give up a chance to get a first glimps of the new players, and see how the returning guys look.

I feel that the Dome is just much too big for this type of thing and the entertainment . . . . well . . . . you know.

for those of us who said the last couple years were brutal..this will change their minds...

Yeah, not going this year. I'd rather sit in a dark room and take tequila shots to the face for two hours. Jersey Shore? Is that necessary?

This is all you need:

1) Music that the kids listen to
2) Get someone like DC to MC.
3) Try to get Melo back since there is a lockout.
4) Dunk contest/prizes for fans/scrimmage.

Why can't that work?

I don't understand the musical acts. Couldn't they just hire a good DJ who played music that todays players are into? (like Mike suggests in 3@ above)

Also I believe we charge to get in, is that correct?
I think they should have all kids under the age of say 13 free all students should be free and charge something minor like $5 for everyone else. Get a lot of people out to this thing.

I'd also like to see an actual game just shorter. 2 10min half's JB coaches against Hop. Make it interesting and somewhat competetive.

I don't understand the musical acts. Couldn't they just hire a good DJ who played music that todays players are into? (like Mike suggests in 3@ above)

Also I believe we charge to get in, is that correct?
I think they should have all kids under the age of say 13 free all students should be free and charge something minor like $5 for everyone else. Get a lot of people out to this thing.

I'd also like to see an actual game just shorter. 2 10min half's JB coaches against Hop. Make it interesting and somewhat competetive.
Tickets are required to get into the dome, but the tickets are free. They hand them out at random Americu locations, plus the box office, and somewhere else. It's pretty much just an admission ticket.

Good to know that the tickets are free.
After that first year, they couldn't pay me to go back to another one of those concession-desperate snoozefests. I'm about as big an SU bball fan as they get, but these MM events are anything but basketball.

After that first year, they couldn't pay me to go back to another one of those concession-desperate snoozefests. I'm about as big an SU bball fan as they get, but these MM events are anything but basketball.

And thats the main issue from my perspective, its not bball. I'm not a fan of 3pt contests or dunk contests and the scrimage is not competetive enough. I'd say do the big blow out intro's for the coaches and players to impress recruits. Get former players to appear and or video short messages but don't let them MC. Let the guys do some crazy dunks at the end of warm ups, no competition though. And find out some way to have a competive womans game/scrimage and mens game/scrimage. Get rid of everything else.

Seriously, get the Cuse NBA guys in town for this, maybe even let them run a scrimmage with the current team, even if only for a few minutes.

Melo, Wes, Flynn, Hak, Andy

You better believe Calamari will have Wall, Rondo, Cousins, Patterson, Knight, Bledsoe etc at UK for their MM to pimp his recruits

The last couple have been extremely difficult to sit through.

Maybe someone is appreciating what they are doing. I am not. This is the worst single SU athletics event of the yeat and I am pretty sure it is the one they spend the most time and money on.

I think the marketing department is completely out of touch with what basketball fans want from Midnight Madness.

It isn't listening to crappy rap music (live or recorded).
It isn't waiting 30 minutes for overblown entrances of the coaches and players on firetrucks or police cars.
It isn't sitting in a darkened Dome watching players getting introduced out of synch/out of order, with the spotlight rarely pointed where it is supposed to be.
It isn't watching dancing bears or Topo Grigo performing at center court.

!B8VuB+w!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKpgEy+jC1nIvBM2wIDgr5w~~0_1.JPG
IMG_9498.JPG

It is really hard to sit through 90 minutes of garbage like that to see 5 minutes of low quality exhibition style run and gun basketball. I hope some day they return the focus to basketball. I would be happy just watching a normal practice.

What made my day was reading this beauty of a line...

“It’s got mass appeal,’’ Levine added. “It will be the best Midnight Madness show in the country this year.’’

What?? Does this guy work in the Obama Administration too?

Quite frankly, whoever put this "show" together should probably not have a job after it. Cancel the damn thing or put it back in Manley where it belongs. I REALLY hope there are no recruits in the house for this. Embarrassing.

Quite frankly, whoever put this "show" together should probably not have a job after it. Cancel the damn thing or put it back in Manley where it belongs. I REALLY hope there are no recruits in the house for this. Embarrassing.
I think Nerlens may be attending... sooo i really hope that dude is right about it being the best in the country

Seriously, get the Cuse NBA guys in town for this, maybe even let them run a scrimmage with the current team, even if only for a few minutes.

You better believe Calamari will have Wall, Rondo, Cousins, Patterson, Knight, Bledsoe etc at UK for their MM to pimp his recruits

Email your suggestions to Dr. Gross-He's generally good at responding, though he might still be drunk from celebrating the move to the ACC thanks to his branding.

Pretty sure this is illegal in the eyes of the NCAA. You can't have players who are under professional contracts participate in games/practices after the official start.

Funny thing is that a few years back this thread was bitching about the fact that we didn't conduct a midnight madness like "everyone" else did. Now we do and maybe get a taste of why we didn't.

I wonder whether Kentucky's (or name your school) midnight madness is truly better than ours, or just something we see from the other side of the fence so it appears better. What do they do that we don't do well or don't do at all that we should do to make the event SU holds better?? I agree that the Dome is too large a venue for an event like this...but there is nothing about a pep rally to get excited for the start of practice that really gets me excited. There just isn't any real excitement to build on or around.

Agree with most of the comments regardng lets see more of the men's team than all of the nonsense. The KISS theroy has been all but forgotten by those in charge of the event. We want to see Christmas, Carter-Williams and Cooney, not Tone Luc etc. Have the players go through the stands and shake hands with the kids anything but what we have been seeing these last few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom