Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

The only thing that matters from coaching trees is whether or not the HC can be reliably credited with developing or influencing the coaching philosophy of his assistants who go on to be head coaches. Pitino developed his defense using portions of the 2-3 zone.

Otherwise it's just semantics about sitting down next to someone for a couple of years.

Pitino wasn’t a home run? Let’s not get caught up in the hyperbole, please. We all know it’s not looking good for JB this year w/ this team, but I’ll reserve judgement after it’s all done.
And, I’d love to see Red take over- I think he’ll do a great job. JMHO

You want to hire him after Boeheim retires? You're just being pedantic now. Name me a home run hire who was an assistant coach here in the last 40 years?

Goalposts moved.

Nope. What he presented was not an intellectually honest argument. It was pedantry to deflect from the main point. Why should we rely on a coaching tree that's given college basketball one good to great coach in 45 years? And that one was here 45 years ago!

Nope. What he presented was not an intellectually honest argument. It was pedantry to deflect from the main point. Why should we rely on a coaching tree that's given college basketball one good to great coach in 45 years? And that one was here 45 years ago!
“If you look at Boeheim's coaching tree, there are no home runs period.”

Tell me more about intellectual honesty.

“If you look at Boeheim's coaching tree, there are no home runs period.”

Tell me more about intellectual honesty.

Give me a break. Are we going to have a conversation about succession or is this the anal retentive hour? We all know Pitino exists. But we also all know what's actually being debated here. Why shy away from it? Because making a logical case for a continuity hire is pretty darn weak.

Give me a break. Are we going to have a conversation about succession or is this the anal retentive hour? We all know Pitino exists. But we also all know what's actually being debated here. Why shy away from it? Because making a logical case for a continuity hire is pretty darn weak.
They were your words, dude. Own them.

So what's the topic being discussed here again? Or are we heading to avocado subs?

You said “none…period”.
When one was named it then morphed into “45 years”, or “ succession”, or some other gobbely-goop.
Does it really hurt that much to acknowledge that your hyperbole was just plain, unadulterated…buILs*^t?
Sheesh.

You said “none…period”. When one was named it then vacate “45 years”, or “ succession”, or some other gobbely-goop. Does it really hurt that much to acknowledge that your hyperbole was just plain, unadulterated…buILs*^t?
Sheesh.

Yay! You win! Sheesh.

LOL my heavens you just love to argue don’t you? :)It’s not all that complicated. If an assistant works directly under a head coach, particularly before they get their own first head coaching job, they are considered a member of that head coach’s tree. Pitino was at Syracuse as an assistant for JB’s first 2 seasons (not just one) as a head coach after being let go after 2 years (grad ass’t and ass’t) at Hawaii.(Hawaii’s record was 11-16 his last year) Pitino left SU getting his first contract as a head coach at Boston University. So you are trying to invent strict definitions for this concept for some reason? In those first 2 years SU’s record was 48-10. I don’t know why this is even a topic to argue about. I’m out and good luck fighting those windmills. ;) Hoping everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I like to discuss concepts and argue logic, yes. If you need to decide and maintain that a topic isn’t ‘complicated,’ and can’t/won’t adjust your perspective when presented with reasoning and questions that contradict your attitude and thoughts, that’s your prerogative, I suppose, but it’s not as virtuous as you seem to think it is.

Not sure why your ‘argument‘ continues to cite facts that are already conceded and are irrelevant to the actual disagreement. Or why you ignore the questions that are relevant. [What difference does SU’s record make? And where did you get the ’definition’ that includes the “particularly before they get their own first head coaching job?” ….Never mind.]

Talk about tilting at windmills—you’re the one continuing to argue the point that Pitino was an assistant for us. Where has that ever been in dispute? If that’s not an imaginary enemy, I don’t understand your application of the idiom.

I like to discuss concepts and argue logic, yes. If you need to decide and maintain that a topic isn’t ‘complicated,’ and can’t/won’t adjust your perspective when presented with reasoning and questions that contradict your attitude and thoughts, that’s your prerogative, I suppose, but it’s not as virtuous as you seem to think it is.

Not sure why your ‘argument‘ continues to cite facts that are already conceded and are irrelevant to the actual disagreement. Or why you ignore the questions that are relevant. [What difference does SU’s record make? And where did you get the ’definition’ that includes the “particularly before they get their own first head coaching job?” ….Never mind.]

Talk about tilting at windmills—you’re the one continuing to argue the point that Pitino was an assistant for us. Where has that ever been in dispute? If that’s not an imaginary enemy, I don’t understand your application of the idiom.
LOL

The dude can coach. Everywhere he goes his team immediately gets good.
He's about to turn 70 with plenty of baggage. Not exactly a forward-looking hire. About the same chance of happening as John Wooden rising from the grave and taking the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom