Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

Pitino is a scrub. Great coach, but a scrub. No, we don’t need that guy running the program. There’s a reason only a school like Iona would touch him.

Regardless whether the fans here want Pitino or not, I will be curious if JB will give hiring Pitino his blessing. He is loyal to his friends after all.

Last edited:
Pitino is a scrub. Great coach, but a scrub. No, we don’t need that guy running the program. There’s a reason only a school like Iona would touch him.
Iona is a Catholic school.

Regardless whether the fans here want Pitino or not, I will be curious if JB will give Pitino his Blessing. He is loyal to his friends after all.
I think he probably would. And honestly, if we're strictly talking basketball coaching prowess and not the laundry list of other issues that follow a Pitino hire, I'd love to have him at SU. Iona is already a player, and its only been 2 years. All he does is win.

He's about to turn 70 with plenty of baggage. Not exactly a forward-looking hire. About the same chance of happening as John Wooden rising from the grave and taking the job.
I didn't say we should hire him. I simply said he's a great coach. Why do people on this board not take comments simply for what is said?

I didn't say we should hire him. I simply said he's a great coach. Why do people on this board not take comments simply for what is said?
Sorry. I should have responded to the poster you were responding to.

Wow. 4-4 and next three are Arizona (#17) Gonzaga(1) and UCLA (2).

If hop gets canned, does he come back to the nest as an assistant?

I remember Jay Bilas saying Hop would go no worse than 7-2 during Beoheim‘s nine game suspension. I believe he went 5-4. That was a warning for me. He looked a little lost during those nine games. Great guy, but maybe not a high level coach.

I remember Jay Bilas saying Hop would go no worse than 7-2 during Beoheim‘s nine game suspension. I believe he went 5-4. That was a warning for me. He looked a little lost during those nine games. Great guy, but maybe not a high level coach.

Hop was actually 4-5 when JB was suspended.

Mikes trajectory at Washington is oddly similar to Babers here at Syracuse. Mike’s downfall started When he finished 6 games under .500 with Tw Mcdonalds All Americans, Nahz Carter and Quade Green. That team greatly underachieved.
Quade was declared academically ineligible in December of that year. That’s what killed UW’s outlook that season. They didn’t have a decent PG anymore.

Quade was declared academically ineligible in December of that year. That’s what killed UW’s outlook that season. They didn’t have a decent PG anymore.
Combine that with Quade Green is one of thee most overrated players in history.

If hop gets canned, does he come back to the nest as an assistant?
Number one. The much more likely trajectory would be as a HC at a much lower profile college.
Number two. It is hard to imagine the level of discord having him here as an assistant would cause. His fan following here is cultish. It far exceeds any actual accomplishments on his part. So he would once again start the buzz as the coach in waiting. How do current assistants then feel about that?
Cut the umbilical chord

Number one. The much more likely trajectory would be as a HC at a much lower profile college.
Number two. It is hard to imagine the level of discord having him here as an assistant would cause. His fan following here is cultish. It far exceeds any actual accomplishments on his part. So he would once again start the buzz as the coach in waiting. How do current assistants then feel about that?
Cut the umbilical chord
Wow, CTO in agreement? I can’t understand all the negativity over Hop from most of the people on this board. He’s at the wrong program. All his best recruiting connections are on the East Coast. When he has players and team continuity, like he did the first two seasons, he’s proved that he can coach. The past two years he hasn’t had talent or continuity.

I agree it doesn’t make sense for him to return here as an assistant. If he gets pushed out at Washington, I think he goes to the NBA as an assistant or maybe Overtime Elite or the G League.

Wow, CTO in agreement? I can’t understand all the negativity over Hop from most of the people on this board. He’s at the wrong program. All his best recruiting connections are on the East Coast. When he has players and team continuity, like he did the first two seasons, he’s proved that he can coach. The past two years he hasn’t had talent or continuity.

I agree it doesn’t make sense for him to return here as an assistant. If he gets pushed out at Washington, I think he goes to the NBA as an assistant or maybe Overtime Elite or the G League.
Agree, he needs to come back East. He just can’t do it as a HC at a high major.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom