Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

That's a good thing. Easier for Hop to come back home to Cuse. It won't matter if he flames out next couple seasons. JB will call him personally.

Would you guys really want him if he has two consecutive last place finishes? Most programs don’t hire guys coming off a bad firing. I understand Hop and Syracuse have special ties, but would your AD really hire a guy who did so poorly?

I do think Hop would make a great coach at Syracuse. I don’t think he’s going to work out here in Seattle.

Would you guys really want him if he has two consecutive last place finishes? Most programs don’t hire guys coming off a bad firing. I understand Hop and Syracuse have special ties, but would your AD really hire a guy who did so poorly?

I do think Hop would make a great coach at Syracuse. I don’t think he’s going to work out here in Seattle.
I think there are two camps - Hop gets the job no matter what or hold on a minute let's take a closer look and maybe see if we go outside the JB tree. I am not tied to the tree and if he flames out UW I would have to do some pondering if he was going to get the SU keys.

Why would we NOT look outside the JB tree?

Doesn’t mean Hop might not still be the guy, it just means we’ve explored ALL of our options;
and then chosen the best one.

Our post-JB coaching search will not be limited to:
  • Hop
  • Red
  • GMac
  • Buddy
  • Rick Pitino

it has to be hopkins. it will be hopkins. i am hoping Gerry gets a shot shortly. BC is going to be looking for a new HC and i suspect this time they'll take a long time looking at the Syracuse infastructure and trying to see if it can be fit into the BC machine. They are building practice facilities for hoops and it'll be a huge get for them.

I could see Gerry to BC, Mike back to Syracuse and Red sticking around as the head lieutenant unless he gets looked at for a bigger opp.

it has to be hopkins. it will be hopkins. i am hoping Gerry gets a shot shortly. BC is going to be looking for a new HC and i suspect this time they'll take a long time looking at the Syracuse infastructure and trying to see if it can be fit into the BC machine. They are building practice facilities for hoops and it'll be a huge get for them.

I could see Gerry to BC, Mike back to Syracuse and Red sticking around as the head lieutenant unless he gets looked at for a bigger opp.
Gerry won’t get a shot before Red I wouldn’t think

Doesn’t mean Hop might not still be the guy, it just means we’ve explored ALL of our options;

• Hop
  • Red
  • GMac
  • Buddy
  • Rick Pitino
I'd go with Jimmy.

• Hop
  • Red
  • GMac
  • Buddy
  • Rick Pitino
You left off Jimmy B. and Juli B.

• Hop
  • Red
  • GMac
  • Buddy
  • Rick Pitino Billy Donovan or Oates if would be the real home runhire if we went outside of the Cuse JB Family

I would be absolutely stunned if Gerry got an ACC gig to start his career. Guess the closest comparables may be Collins being at Duke 13 years and getting Northwestern or Woj doing 14 years there and getting Marquette. I'd still think that BC is a notch higher than either of those and Cuse hasn't had that much success of late, at least compared to what Duke was doing while those guys were there.

• Hop
  • Red
  • GMac
  • Buddy
  • Rick Pitino

Agree -- there is no reason to artificially constrain ourselves. And JW won't.

Find and hire the best candidate. Period.

Do I start the official Oats vs Hop Watch Thread? Probably could reach Robert Washington and Taurean Thompson levels of posts

• Hop
  • Red
  • GMac
  • Buddy
  • Rick Pitino
I want buddy now solely to watch every single anti buddy head explode

We should just merge all the future coach threads from the past 10 years. It’s like Groundhog Day and inevitable that Billy Donovan/Jay Wright will get a mention here.

I would be absolutely stunned if Gerry got an ACC gig to start his career. Guess the closest comparables may be Collins being at Duke 13 years and getting Northwestern or Woj doing 14 years there and getting Marquette. I'd still think that BC is a notch higher than either of those and Cuse hasn't had that much success of late, at least compared to what Duke was doing while those guys were there.

I think they misfired on the Hopkins interview and may come back for seconds with Gerry. Just a strong hunch. The school needs someone who can fire up their excitement. The last two hires have been from the Ivy League and I think Christian was MAC. Need more juice for their next hire from a conf that knows what it takes to win in the league. Some of their fans want Rick Pitino which would be deliciously ironic if he returned to Boston to take the Eagles job after what he did to the Celtics

I think Hopkins has been in a tough spot out in Washington.

First, he is a great recruiter, but there is so much more to putting a program together than people know.

From the media appearances, to the delegating of responsibilities to assistants who may or may not know how you want things done, to the dealing with AD or President pressures. There is a lot. And to do it at a high major level where every single movement is scrutinized is very tough, especially when you don't have any institutional knowledge.

I think sutomcat is more right than wrong in his post above. I appreciate that Hop is learning and taking his lumps at UW. He did a fine job his first couple years and, while not matching any of the expectations fans have, has shown he can do a decent job.

At Syracuse, he will have an understanding of how the department works, the lay of the land, the people in place, and everything else that someone needs to have to be successful. And now understands from a structural standpoint how a program should run, what assistants need to do, etc.

the hits just keep coming

250B0C07-1F65-4074-B55C-27761AD6C7FF.gif

• Hop
  • Red
  • GMac
  • Buddy
  • Rick Pitino

You forgot Tony Bland on that tree. Is he off basketball probation yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom