Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

We haven't hired a basketball coach in 50 years.

Last time we did the program was coming off a Final Four.

I don't think we'll overpay a risky coach but if a slam dunk recruiter was deep in negotiations we might meet their number.

I think we need a 'name' guy Shaka Smart might be a more realistic option and wouldn't need to be given a crazy amount. SU is a top 10 job that hasn't been available as long as these guys have been alive.
Would Shaka live in Syracuse for 10-20 years?
I think that's the biggest challenge - it's a great city, but not like Richmond (where I've spent a lot of time), Austin (where I led a marketing team), etc...

I couldn’t even imagine living in Alabama though. He’s really all set there? Cmon, I don’t buy it.
I don’t know him personally, he might uhhh love it there…

Outside the Cuse family; a great coach who can win instantly and would likely say yes, is Sean Miller.

Personally I think Cuse administration is way too conservative but he didn’t receive a show cause from Arizona and is doing great as the first year head coach at Xavier
I appreciate you suggesting a name—and a good one at that, though obviously one with lots of baggage. Everyone seems to shy away from making suggestions. It’s much easier to shoot them down.

What's weird about that is that there's no inherent reason Gonzaga should be a recruiting juggernaut other than they were built into that over time. They're not a blue blood with a deep rich history or annually near the top of a major conference.
They weren’t a recruiting juggernaut until the last 5-7 years. They mostly got under the radar guys and created an international pipeline (Tommy Lloyd) with a few top 100 guys mixed in.

I don’t care who it is, as long as he‘s hungry. A hungry coach will naturally recruit hungry players.

JB hasn’t been hungry since he validated himself in 2003. I have no idea what the staff could be like on its own, but if they’re all comfortable and complacent enough to sit on a JB bench and be unheard for 20 years… that doesn’t scream ‘aggressive’ to me.

JB got hungry and did his best coaching a few years after the title. My class got screwed out of a bid 2 years in a row and then 2009 we were an offense only team and JB was forced to push a couple guys out the door and rededicate himself to the zone. The 5-6 year run after that was as good as any we had and up there with the late 80s and the zone was a real weapon. There wasn't really a gap between us and Kentucky or Kansas or Duke as a program.

Wheels came off quickly/immediately in 2015 and we have not righted the ship but what do you say when you make a FF in 2016? 2 sweet 16s since.

They weren’t a recruiting juggernaut until the last 5-7 years. They mostly got under the radar guys and created an international pipeline (Tommy Lloyd) with a few top 100 guys mixed in.

That league isn't bad it gets at large bids I don't think its that far behind the NBE to be honest it would be between that and the A10. The marquee non conference games they play draws recruits big time. Its currently not an option to us because anyone who is remotely competent has their heads and egos filled by our fans and declares early for the draft to have an extremely short career or not be picked and we struggle to be .500 in the ACC. Not sure why we can't be like UNC and have our players who aren't lottery picks stay.

The Athletic Department won't sign off on home and homes or one off neutral site games because they don't want to lose the revenue and want as many Dome dates as possible.

Even a guy like Tyus Battle who would have never left UNC with a year of eligibility left us after his JR year because our fans got in his head as a FR that he was good enough to be 1 and done when he wasn't. We get a top 50 PG who looks good in Mintz and the same thing is happening some idiot couldn't wait to start a thread about him declaring even though his 3 point shot isn't close to good enough.

Right. They're a blueprint for how you can build a program over time. Have success by coaching up lesser known guys and build a reputation that eventually draws the elite guys.

Outside the Cuse family; a great coach who can win instantly and would likely say yes, is Sean Miller.

Personally I think Cuse administration is way too conservative but he didn’t receive a show cause from Arizona and is doing great as the first year head coach at Xavier
That would be one hell of a way to get Ducharme lol

What's weird about that is that there's no inherent reason Gonzaga should be a recruiting juggernaut other than they were built into that over time. They're not a blue blood with a deep rich history or annually near the top of a major conference.
Zags can recruit because to the recruits “history” is only he last 10 years since they were paying attention. Nobody cares about the 70s, 80s or 90s.

Zags can recruit because to the recruits “history” is only he last 10 years since they were paying attention. Nobody cares about the 70s, 80s or 90s.
But they had to build to that. And they did that without being in a big name basketball conference or a high school basketball hotbed.

But they had to build to that. And they did that without being in a big name basketball conference or a high school basketball hotbed.
Gonzaga did a good job recruiting the state. There is a lot of talent here. Many kids go to Arizona and other places. I grew up in Vancouver and they got Dan Dickau, Zac gorde, Richie Frahm and Matt santangilo. That is a good amount of there team that lost to Yukon. They also got Morrison from
Spokane. Then they went the international route.

Even in 2016 when we met them in the Sweet 16 they still weren't getting top seeds to the tournament.

We were the higher seed they were an 11.

WCC was sometimes a 1 bid league I remember a good St Marys team being left out with 5 or so losses around then. Eventually never having off years got them on Kentucky's level in terms of recruiting.

That team was all PNW players Draganis was local and Wiltjer, Melton, and Sabonis all grew up in Portland.

Even in 2016 when we met them in the Sweet 16 they still weren't getting top seeds to the tournament.

We were the higher seed they were an 11.

WCC was sometimes a 1 bid league I remember a good St Marys team being left out with 5 or so losses around then. Eventually never having off years got them on Kentucky's level in terms of recruiting.

That team was all PNW players Draganis was local and Wiltjer, Melton, and Sabonis all grew up in Portland.
They were a 1 in 2013 and a 2 in 2015.

No one gets in trouble anymore! Is Arizona on probation? LSU? Kansas? North Carolina?
Yes, this is exactly why I like Sean Miller as a future head coach at Syracuse. Players are getting paid from boosters or collective that are representing the schools. Sean Miller may have been on wire tap for talking about paying players through the sneaker company, but these are essentially legal now. Plus the NCAA didn’t give him a show cause which is why he got hired Xavier right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom