Mike Hopkins and UW | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

HuskyHooper

Walk On
After a couple really good seasons at UW, it’s been all downhill for Hop at UW.

The team bottomed out last season with two first round picks. Also lost his starting PG to academic ineligibility.

He completely missed on some big time local recruits. Guys Romar likely would have brought in. Beachamp, Hickman, Banchero, and Nowell all chose to play elsewhere.

The latest blunder is his top returning scorer, Naz Carter, is ineligible for violating NCAA rules.

UW is picked to finish near last next season. The seat is getting hot. I think if UW struggles again, with no incoming recruits, UW could move on.

FWIW, I was really excited about Hop, and was a big Hop believer. I really hope it works out for him at UW, but with how it’s trending I don’t think he will be here much longer.

The team bottomed out last season with two first round picks. Also lost his starting PG to academic ineligibility.

He completely missed on some big time local recruits. Guys Romar likely would have brought in. Beachamp, Hickman, Banchero, and Nowell all chose to play elsewhere.

The latest blunder is his top returning scorer, Naz Carter, is ineligible for violating NCAA rules.

UW is picked to finish near last next season. The seat is getting hot. I think if UW struggles again, with no incoming recruits, UW could move on.

FWIW, I was really excited about Hop, and was a big Hop believer. I really hope it works out for him at UW, but with how it’s trending I don’t think he will be here much longer.
I don’t think you understand how hard it is to win playing in a crappy conference with a team with little tradition. Hop has two great years (for UW), one average one, and you want to dump him?

Wow, you know nothing about basketball. Just what I would expect for a fan of a program like yours.

Lorenzo Romar went his last 6 season without making the NCAAT including 8-23 his last year and you are saying Mike Hopkins going 2 years without making the tournament will result in him being fired.
When the PAC-12 network is hemorrhaging money and the university is killed getting killed in a pandemic.

Okay.

Mike Hopkins isn’t getting fired if Washington struggles this year.
Just look at your program’s history.

Let's be fair here. If you subbed out Hops name and put in a Coach K assistant this board would be tripping over themselves to take shots. If you have three picks you should win games. No idea if seat is hot but let's pump the brakes on taking him back in a heartbeat.

I don’t think you understand how hard it is to win playing in a crappy conference with a team with little tradition. Hop has two great years (for UW), one average one, and you want to dump him?

Wow, you know nothing about basketball. Just what I would expect for a fan of a program like yours.
Wow last paragraph is a bit rough Dr. Naismith.

As HC? Are you sure about that... if Hope bombs out this year and we bring him back to run the program, I think more than a few fans would lose their collective shite..

I mean back on staff. Also, I believe there are coaches who have done something similar and eventually got another shot to take a program back over and were successful.

Good good, chase away Hop. Right back to Syracuse.

Last edited:
Good good, chase away Hop. Right to back to Syracuse.
50CD43FA-968D-4F7A-91C4-43FC84584ECD.png

Let's be fair here. If you subbed out Hops name and put in a Coach K assistant this board would be tripping over themselves to take shots. If you have three picks you should win games. No idea if seat is hot but let's pump the brakes on taking him back in a heartbeat.
Having two draft picks on the roster won’t help if you don’t have a serviceable PG. Quade’s academic ineligibility ruined any chance of them having a good season.

I wouldn’t. It’s about finding a good coach who’s the right fit for a program. Hop is a perfect fit for SU.

You might not but if Hop has multiple losing seasons and then comes here to be HC, most would have significant reservations. And rightfully so. What top program brings in a losing coach to take over from a legend? Would like you to name one. It would be viewed as a massive fail by the AD.

I’m all in

You might not but if Hop has multiple losing seasons and then comes here to be HC, most would have significant reservations. And rightfully so. What top program brings in a losing coach to take over from a legend? Would like you to name one. It would be viewed as a massive fail by the AD.
Paul Chryst was 19-19 in 3 years as HC of Pitt.
He is 54-16 in 5+ years since he went back to his Alma mater Wisconsin.

Fits matter despite record.
Hopkins has grown since he has left.

Point 1 yes. Point 2 - first couple years were promising. Big fail last year. Let's see how he does for a couple more seasons before we confirm the latter.
Well I kinda left out head coach. More like the work he does w the big guys. But am open to hc at some point. He’s learning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom