Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

Having two draft picks on the roster won’t help if you don’t have a serviceable PG. Quade’s academic ineligibility ruined any chance of them having a good season.
yeah but you know full well if something similar happened here, a vocal group would say it's jb's failure for not recruiting/developing a backup who could step right in.

and you know the 5 posters who would hammer that accusation relentlessly, too

yeah but you know full well if something similar happened here, a vocal group would say it's jb's failure for not recruiting/developing a backup who could step right in.

Keep changing facts Baghdad Bob.

Spin away and change the argument to the passive aggressive statement above.

JB gets better use of talent because his philosophy works with talent. Just ignore that has been said ad nausuem. Give Duke’s talent to JB this past decade he does better. Because he uses talent well.

However Baghdad Bob gotta Baghdad Bob.

bb_anim.gif.cf.gif

Hard to build a team around kids who plan to be one and dones. I agree with Boehiem when he says he only recruits kids who want to be college students.....only Duke and Kentucky can reload on a yearly basis and be competitive year in and year out

Hard to build a team around kids who plan to be one and dones. I agree with Boehiem when he says he only recruits kids who want to be college students...only Duke and Kentucky can reload on a yearly basis and be competitive year in and year out
Our problem has been we used to have a top of the league starting 5 and then we had a bench with talent that could play but didn’t play because JB prefers to play his best players more minutes.

Players didn’t have to be finished products as freshman to get PT.
The quality of our starting 5 isn’t as strong as the top ACC teams and when it isn’t as talented we have less margin for error to win.
We have done solidly against Duke but UVA and UNC have owned us the last 5 years.

If players don’t see playing time they aren’t going to sit on the bench when they can PT elsewhere.

We used to have 1 top 25-50 recruit every year and multiple top 100 recruits.
See the 2015 class.

Since 2015 our classes haven’t been stocked.
Now that sanctions are gone our recruiting should be better.

Hard to build a team around kids who plan to be one and dones. I agree with Boehiem when he says he only recruits kids who want to be college students...only Duke and Kentucky can reload on a yearly basis and be competitive year in and year out
If - IF - we could land the high level one and dones we would not care if they want to be college students.

This is not a universal truth, but there is a ton of veracity in this post. I was about to say the same thing.

WHY MIGHT THIS HAPPEN?
  • Diverging/shifting player objectives not rooted in team
  • Limited time for player cohesion
  • Limited time for program culture to settle/sink in
  • Players facing adversity in the game for the first time and not dealing with it well
  • Parents/Handlers/Summer Coaches
  • Increased academic rigors (to some degree!)
  • Coaching naïveté (yes, I am sure Hopkins wishes he had a few do-overs along the way)

Quade was such a disappointment in so many ways. Hope he doesn’t implode.

I don’t think you understand how hard it is to win playing in a crappy conference with a team with little tradition. Hop has two great years (for UW), one average one, and you want to dump him?

Wow, you know nothing about basketball. Just what I would expect for a fan of a program like yours.

I wouldn't say Hop has had 2 great seasons and one average one with Washington. 1st year was average to good as he made the NIT and lost 12 or 13 games (bit of a rebuild after Romar) but not great. 2nd season you could call great because they won the PAC and made 2nd round of dance. Last year was a complete trainwreck with 2 Freshman Mcdonalds AA. They underachieved and looked lost.

I'd def want him as the next HC after JB retires because of the experience gained running the show and his NE connections and relationships. If UW struggles this season then I think the seat gets very warm the year after.

I wouldn't say Hop has had 2 great seasons and one average one with Washington. 1st year was average to good as he made the NIT and lost 12 or 13 games (bit of a rebuild after Romar) but not great. 2nd season you could call great because they won the PAC and made 2nd round of dance. Last year was a complete trainwreck with 2 Freshman Mcdonalds AA. They underachieved and looked lost.

I'd def want him as the next HC after JB retires because of the experience gained running the show and his NE connections and relationships. If UW struggles this season then I think the seat gets very warm the year after.
They would look ridiculous firing Hop. The program has sucked for years before Hop went there. One bad year of three and you can mark it right to Green not making the grades. As far as having two 1st round picks, both frosh, and who brought them in? They can start firing coaches every 4 or 5 years. See what that brings them. Wasn't Hop coach of the year in the Pac his first two years?

They would look ridiculous firing Hop. The program has sucked for years before Hop went there. One bad year of three and you can mark it right to Green not making the grades. As far as having two 1st round picks, both frosh, and who brought them in? They can start firing coaches every 4 or 5 years. See what that brings them. Wasn't Hop coach of the year in the Pac his first two years?
Last year was really bad with the talent they had, with or without Green. I understand he brought them in but the results do not lie. McDaniels regressed and was awful by the end of the year while Stewart was solid all year. SU fans would have had pitchforks out if JB had those results with that level of recruiting.

It's a results business and what have you done for me lately. If he has another bad season this year, then I would fully expect his seat to be hot the following season. Not saying it's right or wrong. This is all while playing in a weaker PAC.

Last year was really bad with the talent they had, with or without Green. I understand he brought them in but the results do not lie. McDaniels regressed and was awful by the end of the year while Stewart was solid all year. SU fans would have had pitchforks out if JB had those results with that level of recruiting.

It's a results business and what have you done for me lately. If he has another bad season this year, then I would fully expect his seat to be hot the following season. Not saying it's right or wrong. This is all while playing in a weaker PAC.
2 out of 3 years, he has been the coach of the year in that league.

I’m just relaying the word from Seattle. The seat is hot. Whether it is fair or not, it’s hot.

Quade suspension looked bad for Hop. It’s on the coach to make sure his guys go to class and doing their class work. The Naz suspension looks bad as well, we still don’t know much about it, but once again, Hop is the coach, it falls on him.

The recruiting is worrisome. Everyone knew the 2021 class was the one to look out for in Seattle. Hop landed none of the big names. The fact he couldn’t land Banchero, Hickman or Beauchamp I think speaks to the coaching staff, particularly Conroy.

Yes he did make the dance, but it wasn’t with his guys. He won with Romar’s guys. Hop is yet to prove he can win with his guys. Last season was the first season of all Hop guys, and it was a huge disappointment. None of his recruits have panned out. Wright is a flop. Carter is likely gone. Hardy transferred out. Bey has been a disappointment.

Last edited:
Let's be fair here. If you subbed out Hops name and put in a Coach K assistant this board would be tripping over themselves to take shots. If you have three picks you should win games. No idea if seat is hot but let's pump the brakes on taking him back in a heartbeat.
IN A HEARTBEAT!!!

Both years he won conference COY was with Romar’s guys.
Yeah??? So what? I hope you guys get rid of him. He is always welcome back here. I will tell you this. He will not be out of work long. As for you guys, you will be looking for a coach again in another 3 years. Oh, and if your argument is that Hop can't coach, then you know nothing about college hoops.

Both years he won conference COY was with Romar’s guys.
Short of a major NCAA scandal Hopkins seat is ice cold.
The NCAA upcoming transfer change rule will be used by Hopkins if he feels he needs players.
Sean Miller is on the hot seat and is going to get fired because of the NCAA allegations.

Mike Hopkins isn’t one bad season away from being fired. That isn’t Washington’s MO.

Plus again the PAC-12 Tv money and the pandemic killing college financials. Your AD isn’t going to fire Hopkins this year. It’s just stupid. Hopkins would get another job right away.

Yeah??? So what? I hope you guys get rid of him. He is always welcome back here. I will tell you this. He will not be out of work long. As for you guys, you will be looking for a coach again in another 3 years. Oh, and if your argument is that Hop can't coach, then you know nothing about college hoops.

Why do you sound so angry? I’m not even saying Hop should or will be fired. I just said the seat is hot.

Hop is a top notch defensive coach. His offense could be better, but you don’t need great offense when you have a great defense. His issue right now is he has no recruits incoming.

You do realize if you guys had Hop, and the talent he had last season, and he finished in last place, most of this forum would be calling for his firing. You guys don’t know the recruiting profile in Seattle, but to say he fell on his face in the 2020 and 2021 class would be putting it nicely.

Last edited:
Why do you sound so angry? I’m not even saying Hop should or will be fired. I just said the seat is hot.

Hop is a top notch defensive coach. His offense could be better, but you don’t need great offense when you have a great defense. His issue right now is he has no recruits incoming.

You do realize if you guys had Hop, and the talent he had last season, and he finished in last place, most of this forum would be calling for his firing. You guys don’t know the recruiting profile in Seattle, but to say he fell on his face in the 2020 and 2021 class would be putting it nicely.
Didn't you just have two first rounders as freshman?

You guys don’t know the recruiting profile in Seattle, but to say he fell on his face in the 2020 and 2021 class would be putting it nicely.

Maybe those hiking trails are just a tad bit overrated?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom