Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

As backwards as it sounds. If Hop keeps losing and gets fired better chance he is our next HC. He comes back here with HC experience and his great recruiting he has always had.

Yep, recruiting maneuver.
Wish we would pull one of those.

That being said, I think our assistants are (hopefully) starting to find their groove.

Still won't make up for not having a point guard. And that's squarely at the feet of our stubborn head coach.

As backwards as it sounds. If Hop keeps losing and gets fired better chance he is our next HC. He comes back here with HC experience and his great recruiting he has always had.
Season 4 Dancing GIF by The Office

Dave Rice left UW, not mentioned if he stepped down or was let go.

After a couple really good seasons at UW, it’s been all downhill for Hop at UW.

The team bottomed out last season with two first round picks. Also lost his starting PG to academic ineligibility.

He completely missed on some big time local recruits. Guys Romar likely would have brought in. Beachamp, Hickman, Banchero, and Nowell all chose to play elsewhere.

The latest blunder is his top returning scorer, Naz Carter, is ineligible for violating NCAA rules.

UW is picked to finish near last next season. The seat is getting hot. I think if UW struggles again, with no incoming recruits, UW could move on.

FWIW, I was really excited about Hop, and was a big Hop believer. I really hope it works out for him at UW, but with how it’s trending I don’t think he will be here much longer.
1st Hopkins was a great recruiter and now people say is not . I'm getting confused, too much back-and-forth lol

Saw this on a UW fan site:

"In the aftermath of a horrendous 5-21 season, all that's left from that team is Hopkins, assistant coach Will Conroy, starters Jamal Bey and Nate Roberts and reserves Cole Bajema and Riley Sorn."

Ouch...

Hop had connections with all the AAU programs on the East Coast.

He doesn't have the same relationships with the West Coast AAU.
Nationally though the AAU scene is quickly changing. Now NBA players and influence is increasing it’s effect on youth AAU basketball. Former and current NBA players have their own AAU teams. Penny Hardaway now at Memphis had his own AAU team, Marcus Smart, Durant, Westbrook, Chris Paul, Melo, Bradley Beal, James Harden, Damian Lillard, Derrick Rose, Kyle Lowery, John Wall etc all have created their own youth club basketball teams sponsored by the Nike, Adidas, Under Armour etc brands. This isn’t even counting a college coach like Juwan Howard jumping straight from an NBA job. It is quickly changing the recruitment, youth player development scene thus college recruiting.

Not just Mike is facing these changes so are most programs who can’t rely on older prior AAU , youth club relationships to fill their rosters and get top players. It’s all resulted in a very NBA centric youth scene at younger and younger ages.

So Jake: Is there a window for Hop returning or, if he rights it, has that ship sailed.
I hope there is no such window. He hasn’t demonstrated an ability to coach at this level

Two Pac 12 COY awards say you’re wrong.
I know. There’s that. If you read the specific problems with player development and dealing with attitudes, a theme starts to develop. He has had very good players and has been sliding in a way which would never be tolerated here.

Two Pac 12 COY awards say you’re wrong.
While I agree with you, they don’t hold as much weight as some people think they do. In 2017 the pac-12 was horrendous, I believe only 3 teams made the tournament, with UCLA and ASU not making it out of the first four. The next year washington win the pac-12 and again only 3 teams made the tournament. That is an absolute joke out of a power conference. There was a reason they were a 9 seed in the tournament coming off a 27-9 season and winning the pac-12. Those coach of the years mean some but not nearly as much as people like to flaunt it.

I hope there is no such window. He hasn’t demonstrated an ability to coach at this level
Let's take a look at three other coaches in their first 3 years of a major league like Hop has had. 1. Rollie Massimino 1. 7-19 2. 9-18 3 16-11 Coach K at Duke 1. 17-13 2 10-17 3. 11-17 Jim Calhoun at Uconn 9-19 (3-13 in the Big East) 2. 20-14 (4-12 in the Big East) 3. 18-13 (6-10 in the Big East) We make judgments a lot quicker than we used to.

Let's take a look at three other coaches in their first 3 years of a major league like Hop has had. 1. Rollie Massimino 1. 7-19 2. 9-18 3 16-11 Coach K at Duke 1. 17-13 2 10-17 3. 11-17 Jim Calhoun at Uconn 9-19 (3-13 in the Big East) 2. 20-14 (4-12 in the Big East) 3. 18-13 (6-10 in the Big East) We make judgments a lot quicker than we used to.
20 and 38 the last two years with his own players. Tons of talent. Lack of control. Lack of discipline on and off the court. Hard pass for this alum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom