Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

20 and 38 the last two years with his own players. Tons of talent. Lack of control. Lack of discipline on and off the court. Hard pass for this alum
Fine. But let's admit you would have run those three guys out of town with those first three years, right?

I was listening to the Devo podcast with Hop and something came up that I thought was interesting. Hop basically said that it's tough when you're the head coach and you're the one that determines playing time. He said that a lot of players conflate minutes with your love for them. Growing pains, I suppose.

NCAA run could be tough with that league looking much tougher than it was 2-3 years ago

One could argue that Hop’s early success at Washington is responsible for the rise of the PAC12. One would lose that argument quite quickly and easily, but one could still argue.
I would hope that no one on this board would be foolish enough to claim that.

Could see a scenario where Washington has an above .500 -ish season, ends up on the bubble.

Cuse makes the NCAA’s during the final curtain on the Boeheim era with dad and his two sons making a mini run and JB stepping aside.

Hop returns. Autry and GMAC get HC gigs somewhere. Hop retains Griff and adds two assistants.

Could happen...

Could see a scenario where Washington has an above .500 -ish season, ends up on the bubble.

Cuse makes the NCAA’s during the final curtain on the Boeheim era with dad and his two sons making a mini run and JB stepping aside.

Hop returns. Autry and GMAC get HC gigs somewhere. Hop retains Griff and adds two assistants.

Could happen...
Any chance Red and/or Gerry would stay to work with Hop?

Could happen...
It could. I hope it doesn’t.

Could happen...
Could? Lol

my only quibble is I really think GMac is top asst on his staff at least a couple years

Could happen...
Would love it for a lot of reasons. Miss Hop at Syracuse. How’s his dad doing?

I would hope that no one on this board would be foolish enough to claim that.
Hmmm...I might be that foolish. Just for the sheer challenge, I would accept the challenge. But, I must warn you, when I am losing a debate, I resort to name calling.

Could happen...
If that plays out, I would love for Hop to add a couple of non-former SU player assistants with serious east coast or midwest recruiting chops. Start the next era with a bang. I think that is the key, start the next era with some great seasons to establish Syracuse beyond JB as a power.

Could happen...
I think Hop eventually returns. I don’t see Autry or Gmac getting head coaching gigs anytime soon but I could be wrong. Maybe Red. So I think at least GMac will still be on staff. But I don’t know if JB is going anywhere for a few more years at least.

l don't understand the love feast for Hopkins as a successor to Boehiem...liars do numbers but numbers don't lie and Hopkins numbers speak for themselves ...he also had a losing record filling in for Boehiem if l'm not mistaken

he also had a losing record filling in for Boehiem if l'm not mistaken
Correct, Hopkins went 4-5 in his 9 game stretch. I personally don't hold that against him. That wasn't his team, and JB also had a stretch that year where he lost 5 out of 6 games.

Now, his record at Washington is perfectly fair game to criticize IMO as he's coming up on Year 5.

Attachments

• Poindexter.jpg
    Poindexter.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 83

Correct, Hopkins went 4-5 in his 9 game stretch. I personally don't hold that against him. That wasn't his team, and JB also had a stretch that year where he lost 5 out of 6 games.

Now, his record at Washington is perfectly fair game to criticize IMO as he's coming up on Year 5.

You can't say that Hop was responsible for getting players to come here and then say they're not his team.

You can't say that Hop was responsible for getting players to come here and then say they're not his team.
He was responsible for recruiting a fraction of the players, the others were brought in by other assistants. And everything else -- offensive scheme, defensive scheme, etc. were JBs.

He was responsible for recruiting a fraction of the players, the others were brought in by other assistants. And everything else -- offensive scheme, defensive scheme, etc. were JBs.
According to many on here Hop was the driving force behind the success while he was here. I think he should have done better than 4-5. If he was only responsible for a fraction of the recruiting, why (not saying you) do people give him so much credit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom