Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

According to many on here Hop was the driving force behind the success while he was here. I think he should have done better than 4-5. If he was only responsible for a fraction of the recruiting, why (not saying you) do people give him so much credit?
I think he is/was a very good recruiter. But for me personally the jury is still out on whether he's a quality head coach.

I would actually love if our coaching search was not limited to former SU players. It limits us horribly.

According to many on here Hop was the driving force behind the success while he was here. I think he should have done better than 4-5. If he was only responsible for a fraction of the recruiting, why (not saying you) do people give him so much credit?
you don't hammer the guy for going 4-5 as a fill in during a suspension situation, that is a brutal situation for any coach. his time at UW is obviously fair game, first two years were very successful and the last two have been a total disaster. another bad year this year and I would hope ADJW looks elsewhere(ie non-alumni).

you don't hammer the guy for going 4-5 as a fill in during a suspension situation, that is a brutal situation for any coach. his time at UW is obviously fair game, first two years were very successful and the last two have been a total disaster. another bad year this year and I would hope ADJW looks elsewhere(ie non-alumni).
To be fair, his 3rd year he was rolling until they lost their point guard.

And it won't be easy. There is churn both on his roster and coaching staff.

He's in Dino Land right now. Good start, nice momentum, and then the wheels came off, and I mean completely came off. This year is critical for both. You have to show competence and competitiveness again this year, or you might not be here next year.

I think he is/was a very good recruiter. But for me personally the jury is still out on whether he's a quality head coach.

I would actually love if our coaching search was not limited to former SU players. It limits us horribly.

I agree. 2 winning seasons followed by 2 losing seasons isn't enough to sell me that he's on the short list.

"I think he should have done better than 4-5" is hammering?

Good year or bad year I hope there's an actual search for the best candidate possible.

"I think he should have done better than 4-5" is hammering?

Good year or bad year I hope there's an actual search for the best candidate possible.
ok, criticize might be a better word. either way, we agree, the search needs to be an open one, we don't have to have an SU guy, we need a great coach.

In fairness to Hop the NCAA pulled the rug out from under us regarding the change about 12 hours before the Georgetown game. We got blasted by them and St Johns and those teams were the two worst BE teams that season. We also blew a game to Clemson.

I don’t think Hop and JB had time to prepare any transition and for whatever reason we played our worst defense of the season throughout that entire stretch.

The St John's loss was bad but Hop had to go on the road against Pitt and a good Miami team, and also lost at home to a solid Clemson team too.

I ran into Hop on my way into a game when he was recruiting Craig Forth. He asked me to tell him how much we needed him to rebound and set picks. He jumped in front of me and blocked me out and told Craig “this is what he means” the exuberance he showed was amazing.I saw then why he was a great recruiter. The head coaching job is still a question.

Thought this was interesting from Goodman on our podcast.

it's accurate from what i've heard from those in the know at BC. I heard Hopkins completely botched his interview with BC. He's a bit of a goofball and it probably didn't reasonate b/c they hired a completely opposite guy in Jimmy Christian.

He tried to get Hopkins the job? Isn’t that an AD’s job? Who the hell is Goodman? Guy is a legend in his own mind.
How would that be any different than your current employer giving you a reference to a potential new job?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom