Mike McAllister on Orange Nation | Syracusefan.com

Mike McAllister on Orange Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWC75

Bored Historian

Interview starts at 13:555, (under the 'I' in 1440). After some byplay they discuss women's lacrosse from 14:40, switch of Rashard Perry, the new FB recruit, (for 2023), at 19:25 and then gets into Quincy Ballard and the coaching staff's plans at 21:25. It ends at 29:15.

He is best at describing players and their situations but with one exception lacks inside information so he speculates on what the players and coaches may be thinking. He did text with Qunicy Ballard's mother, who is on vacation and will be back on Friday at which point she and her son will make a decision. Quincy will not be making any more official visits and it appears to be us vs. Wichita State. We have an edge because this is his hometown and the ACC is a more prestigious conference but Wichita State ahs no one listed as a center coming back so he might have a chance to start there. He briefly discussed Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, who is 6-10 but thinks he's more a forward and he was starting for Tennessee down the stretch so he's not looking to back up anybody at center. Mike is not aware of any other candidates to transfer in. He thinks Chaz is content here and that John Bol Ajak would have entered the portal by now if he was going to. Thus, if we bring in Ballard, next year's roster will likely be set, which means that our forwards will come from Benny and the new class, (which is not a bad name for a kid rock band).

Interview starts at 13:555, (under the 'I' in 1440). After some byplay they discuss women's lacrosse from 14:40, switch of Rashard Perry, the new FB recruit, (for 2023), at 19:25 and then gets into Quincy Ballard and the coaching staff's plans at 21:25. It ends at 29:15.

He is best at describing players and their situations but with one exception lacks inside information so he speculates on what the players and coaches may be thinking. He did text with Qunicy Ballard's mother, who is on vacation and will be back on Friday at which point she and her son will make a decision. Quincy will not be making any more official visits and it appears to be us vs. Wichita State. We have an edge because this is his hometown and the ACC is a more prestigious conference but Wichita State ahs no one listed as a center coming back so he might have a chance to start there. He briefly discussed Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, who is 6-10 but thinks he's more a forward and he was starting for Tennessee down the stretch so he's not looking to back up anybody at center. Mike is not aware of any other candidates to transfer in. He thinks Chaz is content here and that John Bol Ajak would have entered the portal by now if he was going to. Thus, if we bring in Ballard, next year's roster will likely be set, which means that our forwards will come from Benny and the new class, (which is not a bad name for a kid rock band).
i hope they stop giving out legacy and charity scholarships...imagine this team with 2 portal studs...could be the difference between an okay team and a great team.

i hope they stop giving out legacy and charity scholarships...imagine this team with 2 portal studs...could be the difference between an okay team and a great team.
Really could be a good team with portal help but I don't think even if Chaz and JBA leave, they will hit the portal. They are happy with what they have.

I don’t think it’s often, if ever, that SU or many schools at all have 13 guys on scholarship, all with PT expectations. I remember JB saying 11 was the best number.

Really could be a good team with portal help but I don't think even if Chaz and JBA leave, they will hit the portal. They are happy with what they have.
The bar's been lowered with respect to program performance expectations for a segment of the fan base, so it doesn't really matter until there's change.

Mediocrity has taken root.

It drives me crazy that JB thinks Benny and the freshman are enough at forward to compete. BHH would be an easy sell for 30 minutes. 20 at F and 10 at the backup center. He would make our team so much better when compared to Ballard.

That would still leave 30-40 minutes at the forward spot for the freshman class which is more than enough. And if one of those freshman are good enough to take minutes away from Benny or BHH then so be it and we would be much better for it.

Just need to be honest with Owens, he can stay as a PWO he is never going to play at SU. Can they figure out some type of NIL deal, front office job for Billy? Understand its sensitive.

It drives me crazy that JB thinks Benny and the freshman are enough at forward to compete. BHH would be an easy sell for 30 minutes. 20 at F and 10 at the backup center. He would make our team so much better when compared to Ballard.

That would still leave 30-40 minutes at the forward spot for the freshman class which is more than enough. And if one of those freshman are good enough to take minutes away from Benny or BHH then so be it and we would be much better for it.
A big part of this is handing Benny a spot to get Mintz.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Benny to make a substantial sophomore leap.

It was more than just trying to land Mintz.
Agreed, but it’s no sure thing. And Benny is the 4. I’d be in favor of a veteran wing to play the 3.

The kid from Tennessee doesn’t make sense because he doesn’t really help solve next years projected weaknesses or fit into what will be JB’s likely lineup based on past precedent.

Who is that segment? Couldn’t disagree more. Nobody I know wants or expects mediocrity.

The segment rationalizing multiple seasons of 12 plus losses as being the new normal.

The segment who don't think that top 25 is something we can legitimately aspire to anymore.

The segment who've expressed that they're comfortable with JB continuing on in perpetuity, despite the demonstrative decline in program performance over an extended period of time.

You can disagree all you want, but those opinions / rebaselined expectations have been stated by a segment of the fan base in the past year on this forum. It's hard to believe.

And for the record, I didn't say that people want to lose, or welcome mediocrity. Just that a segment of the fanbase has come to tolerate it like a boiling frog.

Last edited:
The segment rationalizing multiple seasons of 12 plus losses as being the new normal.

The segment who don't think that top 25 is something we can legitimately aspire to anymore.

The segment who've expressed that they're comfortable with JB continuing on in perpetuity, despite the demonstrative decline in program performance over an extended period of time.

You can disagree all you want, but those opinions / rebaselined expectations have been stated by a segment of the fan base in the past year on this forum. It's hard to believe.

And for the record, I didn't say that people want to lose, or welcome mediocrity. Just that a segment of the fanbase has come to tolerate it like a boiling frog.

Nobody I know. You must be one of those who think if people don’t complain 10 times a day every day on this forum they must be ok with mediocrity.

Why can't it be Benny at one forward and another starter at the other forward in the portal? Or am I missing something? They promise Benny both starting forward spots will be his? Why can't Benny start along side BHH?
Because JB never starts 3 guys with zero perimeter skills. You’re asking for something the coach never does.

Because JB never starts 3 guys with zero perimeter skills. You’re asking for something the coach never does.

Which Freshman is going to be our ace perimeter skill player? Hoping Taylor or Bunch are ready to play at a high level? That is what we are hoping and what the season hinges on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom