Mikel Jones... | Syracusefan.com

Mikel Jones...

BillSU

All American
Interesting 6 minute + interview on cuse.com today with Mikel Jones.

Reasons why he came back, coaches who influenced him in his decision, how the three backers he thinks will work together this year, the D line, his outlook for this season and he’s currently at 232 LBS, up from 215 for the last two years and from 225 which he is listed at on the roster. Wants to keep his speed fast, faster than now, working hard, needs to get better and more. Worth a look at cuse.com I'd love to know what Mikel's 40 is right now at 232. I think he was smart to come back get coached up and gain more experience.

Here is partly what he may be working and getting better for. Mikel's got an inch on Bobby.

Below are the #’s of Bobby Wagner # 1 Middle Linebacker NFL / Seattle Seahawks which are to say the least very, very impressive. In 2019 he signed a three year $54M extension, $40.2 guaranteed. He is the highest paid middle linebacker in the NFL. The 40, VJ, and broad jump for a man his size is, well, quite amazing.

Pre-draft measurables
Height
Weight
10-yard split
20-yard split
6 ft 0+1⁄4 in
(1.84 m)​
241 lb
(109 kg)​
4.46 s​
1.57 s​
2.64 s​
4.28 s​
7.10 s​
39+1⁄2 in
(1.00 m)​
11 ft 0 in
(3.35 m)​
24 reps​

Last edited:
Mikel is a quality young man. Very well spoken. Very impressive. We are fortunate to have him and even more fortunate to have him 1 more year

Yes, really blessed that he and Garrett came back to lead their respective position groups.

Great football players, and even better young men.

No doubt they will be successful on and off the field.

Didn’t think we’d ever see an LB with the all around skills and leadership like Zaire had, but Mikel is right there with him.

Yes, really blessed that he and Garrett came back to lead their respective position groups.

Great football players, and even better young men.

No doubt they will be successful on and off the field.

Didn’t think we’d ever see an LB with the all around skills and leadership like Zaire had, but Mikel is right there with him.M.
Dan Conley, pre injuries. But your point remains: M.Jones is rare, if not unique for SU.

Mikel can end up having a Bobby Wagner type impact or be out the NFL in a couple years. There's been many guys with their measurables that dont make it. Mikel does have all the characteristics and desire to play for a long time. Hopefully we will see that.

Last edited:
Mikel can end up having a Bobby Wagner type impact or be out the NFL in a couple years. There's been many guys their measurables that dont make it. Mikel does have all the characteristics and desire to play for a long time. Hopefully we will see that.
The main part of your post that really caught my eye and stands out about Mikel is the _desire. This kid along with Williams will make it in the NFL as long as they keep it. They both have the talent, size now add their desire. Also they both did SU a big plus by staying another year and showing recruits what we are putting out to the NFL in DBs and some Lbs. Now if we can get the Edge rusher kicking in. lol

The main part of your post that really caught my eye and stands out about Mikel is the _desire. This kid along with Williams will make it in the NFL as long as they keep it. They both have the talent, size now add their desire. Also they both did SU a big plus by staying another year and showing recruits what we are putting out to the NFL in DBs and some Lbs. Now if we can get the Edge rusher kicking in. lol
They are definitely special dudes

I will be very disappointed if I don’t see students at games wearing long sleeves with white bands up the arms… and a shirt at Manny’s of that variety too.

This staff has done amazing at bringing in driven leaders like Mikel. Our current roster is packed with guys that have the go get it mindset we used to only see sparingly. Makes gents like Mikel, Sean, Rhino, Garrett (pick one), etc extremely easy to cheer for. Win or lose, don't have to ever question their heart or effort.

I am excited to see Mikel this year. He put on some solid size. He is going to be a monster this year.

I will be very disappointed if I don’t see students at games wearing long sleeves with white bands up the arms… and a shirt at Manny’s of that variety too.
First time I saw those this is what it reminded me of,

8ED84C03-47D8-4D52-A680-C8447E64352D.jpeg
Somebody on Twitter is spreading rumors about him transferring to Miami.

There’s a thread about it. It was started by someone on a Miami message board.
I just saw the other thread. The guy who I saw on Twitter isn’t a Cuse account I follow. I just saw him responding to Mike M.

Yes, desire is a huge factor. And, Mikel has that but I am also going to add "intensity."

It's a bit early but comparing some of Ray Lewis pre- draft measurables:

Height 6 ft 0+3⁄8 in, Weight 235 lb, Arm length 34+1⁄8 in, Hand 9+3⁄8 in, 40 4.58 s

Mikel
Height 6' 0", Weight 232, NA NA NA

Wish I had more. It's important that his 40 be in the 4.5 - 4.6 range so he can drop into pass coverage. We're going to have to wait until next April to see where he lands.

This coming week in Vegas Apr. 28 - 30 is this years draft

Yes, desire is a huge factor. And, Mikel has that but I am also going to add "intensity."

It's a bit early but comparing some of Ray Lewis pre- draft measurables:

Height 6 ft 0+3⁄8 in, Weight 235 lb, Arm length 34+1⁄8 in, Hand 9+3⁄8 in, 40 4.58 s

Mikel
Height 6' 0", Weight 232, NA NA NA

Wish I had more. It's important that his 40 be in the 4.5 - 4.6 range so he can drop into pass coverage. We're going to have to wait until next April to see where he lands.

This coming week in Vegas Apr. 28 - 30 is this years draft
Let’s hope that Mikel is nothing like that murder suspect off the field.

Saw this. Thompson and Wax both made the top 50 yesterday for outside linebackers as well. Think Thompson was Top 25 and Wax was Top 40
BGB is full of crap but it is nice to see Syracuse players get some national recognition.

Here is his list of the top OLBs. Payton Wilson of NC State has to be the top OLB in the ACC and in the top 5 in the country.