Miles Davis PBS | Syracusefan.com

Miles Davis PBS

It's currently available on Netflix. Just added it to my list. I read his biography about 20 years ago.
One of my few regrets is that he had to cancel from a concert at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, up near Columbia, in probably the mid-to-late 80s, with the Gyuoto Monks Tibetan Choir, Mickey Hart the drummer for the Dead, Kitaro the Japanese new age keyboardist, and Phillip Glass. All but Miles were there. Miles had cancelled due to illness, and died maybe a couple years later without me getting to see him.

It's currently available on Netflix. Just added it to my list. I read his biography about 20 years ago.
One of my few regrets is that he had to cancel from a concert at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, up near Columbia, in probably the mid-to-late 80s, with the Gyuoto Monks Tibetan Choir, Mickey Hart the drummer for the Dead, Kitaro the Japanese new age keyboardist, and Phillip Glass. All but Miles were there. Miles had cancelled due to illness, and died maybe a couple years later without me getting to see him.
Thanks for the heads-up about Netflix.

The guy had some demons and was a junkie woman beater. I think he was shocked that his success couldn't spare him from racism. Brilliant yet troubled guy.

His wife was certainly impressed with herself.

certainly had some lady issues. and yes the wife (tho lovely and talented) was a bit over the top .

002fc283.jpeg

changed my image moqui.

Last edited:
i was walking home one day in 8th grade and passed by a yard sale with a bunch of albums for sale. this one caught my eye just because of the album cover
miles_davis_bitches_brew.jpg

it was a double album, and both sides of the first album had single side-long songs. but side 1 had a deep scratch than ran almost the entire length of the album. so they were selling it for $1.

that was my introduction to miles davis. and it was awesome. i didn't know at the time, and was at first disappointed to find out, that the music on "bitches brew" was completely different from the cool jazz that had made him famous. i have subsequently come to appreciate his old stuff.

but this album is a masterpiece. in later years i replaced it with an undamaged copy.

"miles runs the voodoo down" is one of my favorite compositions in any genre

The guy had some demons and was a junkie woman beater. I think he was shocked that his success couldn't spare him from racism. Brilliant yet troubled guy.

His wife was certainly impressed with herself.

His wife was hot, she was a famous dancer and was in West Side Story.
Of course she should be impressed with herself.

Watched it last night on Flicka-de-nets.
Really, really good film.
Lots of amazing home movies and footage I had never seen before.

As for the junkie part, I think that comes with being creative to a certain extent.
Charles Dickens was hooked on opium, Thomas Edison and Sigmund Freud did a lot of cocaine.
Ben Franklin was addicted to laudanum, which was a mix of opium and alcohol.
Van Gogh seems an obvious one, and he was addicted to absinthe, which was a psychedelic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom